Carry on!

Carry on!

A Poem by andrew mitchell

Where is the shepherd?
Where are the sheep?
You sent them to war my Lord.
I see.

Did they all survive?
They were all slaughtered and killed my Lord.
Except for the shepherd, he survived my Lord.
I see! Well that’s good then!

Did we win the war?
No, my Lord.
We did not!
So who is this tyrannical, megalomaniac,
dictator monster we are up against?

The butcher my Lord.
He has that little corner shop
next to the green grocer my Lord.
I see.
Send more sheep, we must win!
Yes my Lord.

What are we all having for dinner?
Your favourite my Lord. Roast lamb.
Oh! Jolly good!
Very well carry on!
Yes my Lord.

© 2019 andrew mitchell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A big send up on the stupidity and futility of war. Yes, in the end we are butchers of our own yet, alone the enemy. Are you in Monty Python mode here Andrew?

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


andrew mitchell

4 Years Ago

Thank you Chris and yes I am lol in MP mode.
the humor belies the seriousness .. i am at once feeling the horror and disgust of slaughter in war .. we are very real people who die and are maimed .. with families ... a dictatorship without any concern nor compassion ... and eats those who have, seemingly in this poem, died senselessly .. needs accountability .. makes me think of those who for decades sought out and brought to justice the monsters of the Third Reich...
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


andrew mitchell

4 Years Ago

The absurdity of it all Gene was that the villain was your simple Butcher and the king in his distor.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

its a gruesome image ... i think you accomplished your goal sir!
lambs to the slaughter. you've woven an awful lot into this short dialogue. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. talk about having your cake and eating it too! this is great andrew, i love it. lots of deep, poignant takeaways. must be chewed on for a while before fully digested ... :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


andrew mitchell

4 Years Ago

Thank you Pete for your words, just a big send up of royalty and their pawns.
Andrew,
An interesting piece. What I see is the hypocrisy of the so called 'lords", those who should protect the shepherd and the sheep. "Send more sheep" always seems to be the answer!!! 100 years ago this terrible scene was played out in Flanders fields . . . probably one of the most senseless wars (as if war could be called sensible! Sometimes, only necessary!!) in the history of modern man.

Posted 4 Years Ago


andrew mitchell

4 Years Ago

Thanks Tom, it was just a big send up on our stubbornness our stupidity and our disregard for life.
So much to decipher in your message sir Mitchell. The reality of war, its goals and wastefullness of lives. A pity indeed. I like your puns on concepts.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

I need a scepter. Lol. You are welcome your highess of the Highlands.
andrew mitchell

4 Years Ago

Lol".............have a good day your highness!
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

You too my friend...

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 28, 2019

Author

andrew mitchell
andrew mitchell

adelaide, Australia



About
Strindberg said. " When I come home and sit at my writing table, then I live.... I live, and I live in manifold fashion of all human beings. I depict; I am glad with the glad, wicked with the wicked,.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Seasons Best Seasons Best

A Poem by Neville