Who is Cherem?

Who is Cherem?

A Chapter by A.E. Surdam

Gulfport, Mississippi

May 2018


Zyler Beauton stumbled down Interstate 10 between the grass, the shoulder, and the roadway's solid line. With only one shoe on, she hobbled across the hot pavement, as she sobbed in front of passing cars. A gust of hot, muggy wind blew against her bruised body. She held her infected, dog-bitten left arm, as her foot bled from the extensive, painful walk. The animal-people followed her within the woods' shadows to re-abduct her, for their king failed to brainwash her from forgetting their realm and secrets. She never wanted another woman to experience the atrocities the cursed ones forced upon her.

Her sweat weighed her dyed, platinum blond hair down. Her tattered, muddy jeans and rock band t-shirt were soaked with dried blood. Zyler's mind focused on the ambulance's siren that wailed far behind her. A large white truck pulled onto the shoulder. The doors opened, and a man and woman stepped out to rush toward Zyler.

A short older woman with gray eyes and umber brown hair pushed on the man, who appeared around her age. He had graying copper-colored hair and was two-feet taller than his companion. Zyler lost her footing and nearly pitched forward, but the couple saved her from falling.

"Please," Zyler rasped, "I need help finding...."

"Did you get into a car accident?" The woman asked.

"No, please before they find her...." Zyler lost consciousness and fell against the couple.

"George, call the police."

"The EMTs are almost here. Let's just leave this to them."

"I can't believe you. If Derek found out that we left this helpless woman out here alone, he wouldn't forgive you."

"He'd be mad at you for contaminating evidence. Who knows whose fingerprints are on this woman's body, Rachael. Didn't you hear her? She said they. So someone did this to her, and now we've turned into suspects. They could even be watching us as we speak."

"Will you calm down, George? Derek won't allow anything to happen to us. We're his parents. Now act like a detective's son and stop whining. This poor woman went through hell to get to us, and now we will do our best to protect her, George. She has a mother somewhere out there, and she's worried about her daughter. I don't want to see another news' article about a death that was out of my control. We are here and can help, and that's what we will do," Rachael lectured with tears in her eyes. She glared at her husband and then gave him a brilliant smile.

"I could never argue with you when you get like this. If our daughter had...I mean...I'd want her to be safe and happy. But you're right - her dad is probably worried sick." George looked out toward the approaching ambulance with a grin.

The animal-people stood within the trees and watched as the authorities arrived one after the other. No one ever noticed their presence. Before long, they faded into the woods' darkness to return to their world.



Myles Jacobson strode down the hospital hallway with a confident, immense grin. His wavy, dark coffee-like brown hair was a bit longer than what was recommended for a detective. He never understood why they had a dress code. He loved to show up at work with a beard or in comfy skinny jeans, but his partner usually freaked out and demanded that he upheld the Force's reputation. Whatever that meant. Myles loved attention and hated when someone else took the credit for his discoveries. His partner claimed that they shouldn't attract attention in case they ever had to go undercover, and Myles knew that his partner was right. He just didn't want to admit it.

As he passed by the nurses' desk, he admired their beauty and smiles, as he grinned over their soft whispering voices. He glanced at the watch on his wrist and resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He was ten minutes later than he said he'd be. The warm donuts and hot coffee had called his name. Myles carried his treasure back to Jane Doe's hospital room. After twenty-four hours of waiting for her to wake up, he wondered if she ever would.

His partner's voice drifted down the hallway. "Does she have a driver's license on her? Anything with her identity?"

"Detective Ross, you've asked this yesterday when she was brought in. No matter how many times you ask, the answer will be the same."

Myles stood and watched his partner glare down the curvy brunette who matched his intense expression. Ross was a large, brooding sad fellow who was in a desperate need to take up a hobby or adopt a cat. Hell, he probably should do both of those things. His hair was a white blonde that he kept slicked back from his high forehead. With eyes the color of a dark, murky blue puddle, Ross was attractive for a guy, but Myles was the better looking one.

"I'm sorry for wasting your time," he admitted after a look through his notes.

She uncrossed her arms and then smiled. "If we learn anything, you'll be the first to know, Detective."

After the nurse left, Myles tiptoed down the hall and stood behind his partner. He held the coffee tray and donuts away from Ross's back, so that if Derek swung to smack him he'd miss the food. He opened his mouth and readied his surprise voice attack.


The wallpaper was worn around the corners, and the floor was cracked but newly waxed. The hospital smelled like sick people - a mixture of anti-bacterial hand soap and iodine. Even though one of the lights flickered, the hospital was bright with emotion and life. Nurses chattered in hushed voices, as patients sat in chairs and waited to be seen. Children's laughter and crying echoed down the halls.

Hospitals always made Detective Derek Ross nervous. He spent most of his young life in the hospital because of his grandmother. After she died, he hated that the hospital's clean smell reminded him of death. When they found his younger sister, he returned to the hospital, and ever since, he vowed to never set foot in one unless he was on a case. He walked toward the entrance to Jane Doe's room. He glanced down at his notes and grimaced, as he tapped the tip of his shoe on the white tile.

"Will you hurry up?" He mumbled under his breath.

"Who in blazes are you talking to? If you keep doing that people are going to start asking questions. And you know that's our job. Don't let them take our jobs away, Ross."

Myles Jacobson, a tall man who wore a faded, grey suit stood behind him with a lopsided grin plastered on his overzealous, annoying face. He had dark brown hair that went four inches past their departments' regulations and mocking, grayish-hazel eyes. Myles was an exasperating, talkative man with an antagonizing humor.

Derek stood with his eyes closed and jaw clenched. He took a deep breath and then shouted. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Damn it, Myles, you know what I'm talking about. Showing up and scaring the hell out of me."

"Excuse me and you're weak heart. I didn't know you had one. Who would've thought?"

Derek groaned. "Knock it off, will you?"

"Yeah, yeah. And you know it's good for you."

"What?" Derek asked with a sharp breath.

"Getting scared the hell out of. And I'll say it again and again. It's good for you. I don't want you getting a big head. That would be more trouble for me, and you know how I am. Work, work, work is all we do. When will we get a break? Oh and here's your coffee."

"Just shut up will you."

"Whatever you say."

"Sometimes I feel like I brought a senile old woman along on duty."

Myles laughed but then received a glare from a nearby nurse.

"Quiet. You're going to wake the hospital, and we have work to do. If you're going to keep laughing then go do it out in the car." Derek growled as he grabbed the coffee from Myles and then stormed into the room.

"You're funny, you know that? We probably already woke up half the hospital. Wait, here's your donut," Myles chuckled. He followed his partner into the room. Derek reached out behind him to snatch the donut bag from his hand.

"Which ones have the strawberry?" Derek asked when he looked inside of the white paper bag.

"The puffy ones." Myles strode forward to reach into the bag. He snatched one of the donuts and then took a large bite. "Oh, how I love chocolate filled things."

After finishing his donut, Derek sipped his coffee while he gazed out the window. He remained silent while Myles chattered.

"I don't know what my sister sees in you," Myles rambled. "It isn't like your dating or anything. Whoops, I don't think I was supposed to say that. Oh well, you weren't paying any attention to me anyway. Plus, I thought you had a date with her tonight. I can't wait for my night off. I'll finally be able to sleep for more than four hours this time. Hopefully, at least."

Derek moved next to the hospital bed. He glanced toward the hall to see if anyone walked past. He picked up Doe's chart and read the words out loud, "Infected dog bite... Myles, come here and look at this."

Derek continued to scan the chart. He glanced at the door again and then handed the chart to Myles. He pulled two pairs of the latex-free gloves from the box next to the bed. After he tossed a pair to Myles, he slipped them onto his hands.

"What are we doing? Ross, you aren't thinking of removing this girl's bandage are you? Why am I even asking? Of course you are."

Derek lifted her arm and held it straight. "Here hold her arm while I unravel this."

Myles reached forward and did as he was asked while Ross quickly unraveled the bandage. A massive bite swallowed her arm. The supposed dog's mouth appeared to look more like the size of a bear's. Her flesh was black, swollen and oozed puss.

"How in hell is that supposed to be a dog bite? It looks like a bear attacked her. Wait, are there even bears down here?" Myles asked while holding her arm up.

"There are bears, but they're endangered. Does that look like its glowing to you?"

"Maybe. Hell. How are we going to describe this in our paperwork?" Myles groaned. Derek took a picture of the bite before he re-wrapped her arm. "Why do we always get the hard cases? Man, now I'm never going to get that break."

"Myles, I need you to focus. Please, get your head out of your a*s for once and help me think. What could do this?"

Myles remained silent and stared out the window.

"If we just get past that glowing and look at the wound... why would they write dog bite when it looked like it was from a bear? How could they call that an infection? Her insides had turned black. How is that even possible?"

"It isn't. Maybe we should call the Chief in on this one," Myles suggested after he sat down in a nearby chair.

"Myles, get out the notes from the previous girls and reread them to me."

"I don't see how that's going to help. Those stories we got from those three other girls were ridiculous, and they didn't have glowing bear-dog bites."

"Will you just do it? I know there's a connection. And until she wakes up, we will review the notes as many times as it takes until we memorized it. Understand?"

"I get it. Just give me a sec, will you?" Myles pulled the small notebook out from the inside of his suit. He flipped open the front cover. "First is Veronica Belle. Twenty-six. Single. Lives twenty minutes away from Monroe, North Carolina. Her parents reported her missing in 2012. She was found outside of Gulfport with scratch marks and welts all over her body in 2013. She was alive, but she remembered nothing about her disappearance. All we know is that she was found in the same place as Jane Doe."

"But it doesn't have anything to do with Doe's injury," Derek mumbled, as he paced in the room.

"Next was Rose Houghton. Twenty-four. Single. Lives in Miami, Florida. Her sister reported her missing after forty-eight hours when she didn't show up to work on Monday in 2014. The police found her walking just like Doe on the side of the road outside of Gulfport five months later. She remembers everything before she vanished. There were no marks or bites reported."

"Were there any signs of rape or trauma?"

"None. Her car and her possessions were still at her home like Belle's were."

"Tell me about the last one."

"Laura Belmont. Twenty-three. Single. She lives in Dallas, Texas. After leaving work, she was supposed to meet with her coworkers at a restaurant for dinner once she stopped by her house. They thought she stood them up. When she didn't show up for work the next day, they found her car at her house. Her coworkers reported her missing in 2016.

"After investigating the place, the police discovered that when she returned home someone had broken into her house. There was evidence that the two fought. She turned up in the same place as the others in 2017 without her memory."

"What we know is that three women have been abducted. They all lost their memories and are gone for an extended period of time before they are left at the same place," Derek said in a soft voice. He crossed his arms and looked down at Doe with a sigh. He noticed her move, but when her eyes twitched, he motioned for Myles to come toward the bed.

Jane Doe opened her eyes and stared up at Derek with confusion. She looked around the room and said, "Where am I?"

Derek advised, "You're in the hospital. Try not to move. You have a nasty bite on your arm."

"Do you mind if we ask you a few questions? I know you just woke up, but we need to begin investigating your case as soon as possible," Myles inquired with a smile. "I promise it won't take too long."

"How long have I been asleep?"

"A little more than twenty-four hours," Derek answered.

"Who are you?" The woman asked.

"The question is who are you?" Derek replied. He pulled a nearby chair over to the bed and sat down.

"Zyler Beauton."

"We're Detectives Ross and Jacobson," Derek answered. "Where are you from? And do you know where you are?"

Zyler rubbed her eye with her right hand. She tried to sit up in the bed but winced from the pain. "I live in Starksville, Mississippi. I don't know where I am besides being in a hospital."

"You're currently in Gulfport, Mississippi. It's about a four and half hour drive. So, do you remember anything about -"

Zyler spoke over Derek and said, "Before I was kidnapped? Yes, I remember everything. I even know about the three women who were taken before me."

"What the hell?" Myles remarked with his mouth open. He stared at Derek with wide eyes. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Tell us," Derek told her. "I want to know everything about the b*****d."

"You may not believe me, but I speak the truth."

They nodded and waited for her to continue.

"We were abducted because of Cherem?"

"Who? Wait, how do you say that?" Myles asked, as he scribbled in his notepad.

"Kay-rem. He wears a hood. So I don't know what he looks like. Plus, he wears a half-mask that covers his face from his forehead to his nose. He's clean shaven and has olive colored skin and green eyes. He's about six-two."

"He wears a mask?" Myles stated. "What a psycho."

"Where did he take you?" Derek stood from his chair to stand near Myles. He glanced over his shoulder at the notes. He whispered to Myles, "After we finish the questioning, make a call to the Chief."

"He wasn't the one who abducted me. His followers were the ones who were ordered to do so."

Myles glanced up and questioned, "Are we dealing with a gang? Mafia?"

"Neither. You won't understand when I say this, but he sent the animal-people to abduct us."

"You mean people dressed as animals? So there's a guy wearing a mask, and then his members run around dressed as furries? Damn, they're all weirdos. Reminds me of Martin at the office. He occasionally dresses up as a cat and does some weird s**t," Myles told Derek before receiving a glare from his partner.

"No, they aren't wearing costumes. They are humans with animal faces. They can shape-shift into animals."

Derek and Myles remained silent, as they exchanged glances.

She pointed to her arm. "Did you see my arm? I was bitten by a black dog, so I'm probably going to die. I've accepted it."

"You don't know that," Myles said softly. "And are you sure it was a dog? We thought it might have been a bear."

"Jacobson, will you please take this more seriously?" Derek whispered.

"Black dogs signify death. My blood is black. I doubt the doctor will find a cure for me."

"Even if they have rabies -" Myles began before Zyler interrupted him.

"No, a black dog is a mythical creature. If you see one it means death - sometimes for yourself or for another. Being attacked by one means I'm going to die. Cherem told me he would send me back, but I didn't want him to erase my memory. So I escaped."

"Why is he doing this?" Myles asked.

"Animal by day, man at night. Forever he will be cursed until death. If he doesn't find the woman who can save them." Zyler looked at Myles. "Is your name Myles Jacobson?"

"How do you know my first name?"

Zyler coughed up blood. Dark brown tears leaked from eyes, as her eyes rolled back in her eye sockets. "I-I can't. Please, no-"

Derek shouted for a nurse, "Help. We need help in here!" He grabbed the call button and pushed it.

The Great Mother's voice merged with Zyler's when she chanted, "Your sister is next. She has been chosen. She will disappear tonight, and you will not find her. Any man who steps in the dimension where Silver Stone resides will turn into an animal. You will never see her again. She has been chosen. Lily. Will. Disappear."

Zyler screamed as her body convulsed on the bed. Nurses and a doctor rushed in. The two detectives were ushered out of the hospital room and into the hall.



© 2018 A.E. Surdam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on November 11, 2018
Last Updated on November 11, 2018
Tags: fantasy, romance, fiction, mythical creatures, novel, kingdom, mythology, Christianity, angels, monsters, king, strong female lead, romantic-thriller, suspense, detective, alternate dimension


Author

A.E. Surdam
A.E. Surdam

Picayune, MS



About
My pen name is A.E. Surdam, and I am a writer. I attended Stephens College and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2014. Afterwards, I gained my Master of Arts degree from Southern New Hampshire.. more..

Writing
The Wall The Wall

A Chapter by A.E. Surdam