Date Night Blues

Date Night Blues

A Chapter by A.E. Surdam

Lily Jacobson was in trouble. Her date with her brother's partner was in two hours, and she couldn't choose between the black and white striped dress and the purple and green flowered one. She wanted to appear classy, but at the same time, she needed to be sexy. The time was five o'clock, and she still had to take a shower. She chewed on the inside of her cheek, as she pondered her unfortunate situation. With a quick glance to the walk-in closet, she wondered if she should wear something else. Even though she knew Derek probably wouldn't notice what she wore, Lily still wanted to look her best. This was her first date in over three years, so she refused to screw this one up.

The small master bedroom was quaint and old. A queen sized bed sat in the center surrounded by mismatched furniture. The musty, gray carpet looked to be ancient with its faded and stained appearance. The wood paneled walls gave the room a suffocating feel with its dark tone. The small house in the center of the field now belonged to Lily Jacobson. Even though she lived alone, she felt that the house was vast and empty. She stood in her house-cleaning outfit and knew that she was wasting precious time on her date clothes.

She grabbed her towel from the bed and pulled the pony tail from her hair. She stormed into the bathroom, stripped, and tossed the towel onto the hamper. Turning on the shower, she wondered what Derek was doing at the moment. She knew that the man was a hardcore workaholic from what Myles had told her. She didn't hate that in a person, as she was one herself. Her parents both died because of their jobs. Her grandparents taught her that life that was impossible to control, and that she needed to know when to fight and when to let go.

She stepped into the tub and took a quick shower. She shoved the shower curtains to the side and reached for her towel. She dried her body and then wrapped her hair. The foggy, large mirror above the vanity attracted her attention. She couldn't really see her reflection. She always questioned how the world saw beauty. Many have called her pretty, but she didn't really understand what it meant to truly be beautiful. Just because someone appeared appealing on the outside did it truly mean that they were beautiful on the inside as well? Lily wanted more from life, and since she was a little girl, she craved to fill the void within her.

In the other room, her cellphone rang from the bed. Lily stepped out of the bathroom with her underwear in her hand. She reached for the phone and answered it.

"Hello," she said, "Barbara? Wait. Give me a second. Okay, I'm dressing. Let me put you on speaker."

A deep female voice filled the room. "You're my best friend, Lily. And I want you to know that you are making the best mistake of your life!"

Lily slipped on her undergarments and snapped her bra strap in place. "How is it even possible to make a best mistake? Never mind. What do you want, Barbara? I'm getting ready."

"For your hot date! When your brother joined the force, I knew you were going to meet a hot officer. Ooh! I can't wait to attend your wedding. Better yet, I wish your brother would ask me out on a date. He's still single right? Oh and let me be your maid of honor!"

Lily pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath. "Barbara, will you please calm yourself? If you and my brother ever got together, I think I'd avoid your house like the plague. I can already imagine the constant chattering between the both of you."

"Rude! If your brother is off limits then have your hunk-of-a-boyfriend find me a sexy policeman. I prefer dark, mysterious tall men with blue eyes. Better yet make him British or Scottish. That brogue! Talk about yum!"

"Um, I guess. I doubt that I'll make it far with this guy. I haven't been on a date since before my grandma died. So I'm pretty rusty when it comes to any of this. But are you sure its all right that I see this guy? I mean he is my brother's partner. It'll be awkward if this doesn't work out."

"Girl, he's hot, and that's all that matters."

Lily sat on the bed near the phone and picked up her nylons. She rolled the fabric up on one side and then slipped her foot in. She did the same for the right. Lily answered, "No, I don't think so. He has to have personality and - why are we even talking about this?"

"Because you need to get it out."

"I guess. You're actually making my nerves worse with all of this." She finished pulling her nylons up her legs.

"Are you going to invite him back to your place?"

"No! You know I promised my grandmother. She gave me a purity ring on my sixteenth birthday. She always wanted to see me in a wedding dress."

"I'm sorry, Lily. It's been three years since she died. I'm surprised she lasted this long without your grandfather."

"After Jaxson vanished, his heart couldn't take it."

"You mean the boy that was attacked by deer? I thought they were plant eaters."

"No, deer will eat meat if given the chance, but their teeth are better suited for eating plants. I don't want to talk about this anymore," Lily shouted. She rubbed her eyes and exhaled. "He's been gone for fourteen years. We have to move on."

"Let's just go back to your hot detective. So what time is he coming to pick you up?"

Lily looked at the time on her phone and gasped. "Oh no, it's almost six. He's supposed to be here at seven. I still haven't gotten ready or decided on what I want to wear."

"Hey, calm down. I can at least help you with what you'll wear. Tell me your choices."

"I have a black and white striped dress that has a low cut front. Than I have a green and purple flowered dress with lace and a high front."

"Go with the low cut dress. Well, I'll let you go. Make sure to call me and let me know how the date with Mr. Hunk goes. Bye!"

Lily stared at the black and white dress for a moment before she unzipped the back and shrugged the dress on. She received another phone call thirty minutes before date-time, as she did her makeup. She dug through her purse and pulled out her cell phone. Recognizing the ring tone, she quickly answered the phone and said, "Hey, what's up? No. I'm fine... Myles, please... okay, fine, give me a minute. I was trying to finish up some last minute touches. Let me put you on speaker , I can't do my makeup and talk at the same time...yeah, yeah. Just hold on."

"Are you sure everything's okay?"

"Myles, why wouldn't I be?"

"It's just... nothing, I'm just glad you're okay."

"Wait! You called to talk me out of this date, didn't you? Just because you're my older brother that doesn't mean I'll listen to you. But...don't tell me, Derek's having second thoughts? Did he tell you to call me?" Lily dropped her blush onto the bed and picked up the phone. With a death grip, she shouted into the speaker, "You better tell Derek that if he cancels the date on me it better be for a good reason."

"What? Lily, will you calm down? This has nothing to do with that. I just wanted to check on you."

She dropped the phone back onto the bed and picked up her mascara. "You scared me, Myles. Since when have you had to check on me? I'm not a little kid anymore, I am twenty-five. A grown woman."

"You sound okay. Then I guess everything was -"

"Everything was what? Are you sure everything's all right on your end? Myles, I think you need to take a vacation."

"Man, do I need one... hey, Lily. Derek told me to tell you, he's on his way to pick you up. So be ready."

"He's there?"

"He was, but he just left. Do you want me to go catch him?"

"No. Don't tell me he heard me shouting like a crazy woman? Oh man, why didn't you tell me that he was standing there."

"Lily, that guy's oblivious to everything except for work. If it was anything else, he'd just sit around like he was a lump of butter... but Lily, are you sure nothing strange has happened today? Like anything out of the ordinary?"

"Nope, it's been another boring day. No weird stuff here."

"Good. But if anything does, call me okay."

"If I say okay, will you drop it?"

"I'm serious, Lily."

She sighed, "Fine. I will."

"Well, I better let you go, so you can finish getting ready. Remember to call me if anything strange happens."

"You're the strange one, and I love you too."

Myles laughed, "See you later, little sister."

Lily shook her head over Myles's strange phone call. Lily held up the small mirror and glanced over her makeup. Perfect! Her brown curly hair took forever to style since the humidity loved to make her look like someone took a balloon to her head. She fixed a smudge of eye liner around her hazel eyes, and when she was finally satisfied, she stood from the bed, grabbed her purse, and walked to her bedroom door.

~

"If you would please come this way, we have a table all ready for you," the hostess said with a big smile as she pointed the way with the menus.

Lily tugged Derek's sleeve when he didn't immediately follow the hostess. Her lips felt stiff when she attempted to smile. She avoided his direct stare and followed after the hostess. Their long car ride to the restaurant was embarrassing and silent. Myles always spoke about his partner, but she hadn't met the man until recently. The first time they had met was when Myles invited Derek over for a barbecue at her house a few months ago. They had talked then, as he seemed much more looser and calmer. He was the one who had asked her out. Last week, Myles gave him her number, and he called and asked her out on a date. She was excited and had been so nervous to finally spend time with the man who had been occupying her thoughts. During the car ride, she remained silent and listened to the radio, for he felt like a completely different person from the barbecue.

He never mentioned her dress or her hair. She wasn't used to being around guys since she taught at a private all-female high school, and the only guys she ever really talked to was in public places like the supermarket or at a coffee shop. Her life was pretty boring and pathetic. Barbara constantly nagged her to set up an online dating profile, but Lily heard many horror stories from partakers. The truth was that Lily was afraid to be rejected. She wasn't sure how she saw herself in society, and she was more comfortable with just watching life go by than joining.

She glanced back at Derek who followed behind her to their table. He was wearing a gray suit with a black shirt and a white tie. His blonde hair was brushed back, though a few strands refused to stay in place. His dark blue eyes appeared cold and flat. She wasn't sure what to make of that, but he seemed much more calmer now then he had been during in the car.

She faced frontwards and followed the hostess around the corner. Many tables and booths filled the room with various types of couples and families. Voices and laughter brought a light, pleasant atmosphere that left her feeling comfortable. She received a few smiles and curious glances as she passed occupied tables.

"Here you are," the hostess said with a polite smile. "A server should be with you shortly."

Lily hooked her purse on the back of her chair and sat down. She watched Derek scowl at the other tables which surrounded them. Once he reached their table, he pulled out his chair and took a seat.

"I hope everything is okay?" Lily asked.

"Hmm? Everything's fine. I'm just preoccupied."

"With what?"

He shook his head with a frown.

"Can't say?" Lily looked down at the menu that was on the table and plastered on a smile. She glanced back up at him and found that his dark blue eyes were centered on her. "I'm just teasing you. I understand it's work-related. So..." Smooth, Lily thought.

A young man sauntered up to their table with his pad and pen held up. "Hello and welcome to Franco's Fine Dining. My name is Houston, and I'll be your server tonight. Let's start off with drinks. What will you be having tonight?"

Derek turned his cold glare on the server, which caused Houston to take a few steps back. "I'll have sweet tea."

"G-great choice, and for the l-lady?" He stuttered.

Lily beamed at the young man and replied, "I'll have sweet tea as well, but I don't want any lemon with mine."

The server ignored Derek and returned the smile. "I'll be right back with your drinks."

"What was that about?" Lily nearly shouted but then lowered her voice when she realized where she was.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? You nearly sent the server flying away with the look you gave him."

Derek cleared his throat and hid a smile. "Sorry, I'm... a cold case opened up today, and I'm tense. Okay?"

"I'll forgive you this time. Just try not to scare off everyone who comes up to the table or our food might go flying next." Lily opened her menu and scanned through the items. "Everything looks good."

Derek opened his menu and sat quietly as he glanced down.

The server returned with the drinks. He avoided eye-contact with Derek and kept his attention on Lily while he spoke, "Our special today is the Angus beef steak with a side of lobster tail and two sides of your choice. Do you know what you'll be having, or should I give you a few more minutes?"

"I believe we're ready," Lily said before Derek. "I will be having the shrimp fettuccine. Can I add mushrooms and take out the tomatoes?"

"Absolutely. And you can choose one side.

"A garden salad with no cheese or onions. And I'll take ranch with it."

"And for you, sir?" The server asked while gazing over his head.

"I'll have the special with the salad. Ranch as the dressing is fine. Also mashed potatoes as the second side item. And for an appetizer we'll have the artichoke dip." Derek replied with a clipped, tight voice.

The server took the menus and hurried off.

Lily took a sip of tea and remained silent. She kept her attention on Derek's profile and as usual his eyes were directed elsewhere. She cleared her throat but only to have his attention redirected at her.

"So how's my brother these days?" she asked, not knowing what else to talk about.

"Fine, he's fine."

"Uh-huh. Okay... how's your cat?"

"My cat?"

"Myles told me you had one. Black and white with a grey tail."

"Oh, he did, did he?" Derek sighed, "I don't have... I mean my cat's fine...."

"That's good." Lily clenched her hands underneath the table and forced another smile. She swore her left eye twitched with irritation.

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes, just grand." Lily said with a tight smile.

"I see."

"Yes, I bet you do."

"Are you sure everything's okay?"

"Yes! First my brother and now you? Everything. Is. Fine."

"What?" Derek asked, "Explain yourself."

She found that she liked it better when his eyes were roaming over the other tables. "Well, I mean, Myles called asking me if everything was all right. And I kept telling him my day was normal. Nothing weird happened. Believe me the only thing weird has been...well...never mind."

"Go on," he urged her.

"You. You've been acting strange. I thought that you - forget that I said anything." Lily glanced to the side and gazed out into the restaurant. She struggled to keep calm and refrained from crying. She thought that he liked her, but he acted like he didn't want to be here with her. This wasn't the first time that she had been on a horrible date, but this time she really wanted things to work out.

She felt him watching her. Her face warmed under his direct gaze. "You know it's not nice to stare."

He smiled and took a sip of his tea. "Was I staring?"

"Oh, look, here comes our appetizer."



© 2018 A.E. Surdam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on November 11, 2018
Last Updated on November 11, 2018
Tags: fantasy, romance, fiction, mythical creatures, novel, kingdom, mythology, Christianity, angels, monsters, king, strong female lead, romantic-thriller, suspense, detective, alternate dimension


Author

A.E. Surdam
A.E. Surdam

Picayune, MS



About
My pen name is A.E. Surdam, and I am a writer. I attended Stephens College and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2014. Afterwards, I gained my Master of Arts degree from Southern New Hampshire.. more..

Writing
The Wall The Wall

A Chapter by A.E. Surdam