Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Emergency

Emergency

A Poem by Amber S. Hays

Through the double doors, we leave our souls at the first step. 

My misguided feet now lead me into a spiral of emotions. 

Vomit comes close but I swallow that down. 

Be strong. Don’t cry. Be strong. 

The scent of things being “too clean” consumes my nose cavity and burns my eyes.

IV’s with drugs and tubes that carry waste out of his body. 

A constant sucking and emptying noise; machine made. Then gagging.

But it’s not me this time. I don’t turn my eyes away from this struggle from a man who is never supposed to be sick.

With hands as thick as wood, and a frame towering clear over that of my own, his body seems unusually small from this side view.

His back is crouched low and with the long white pads that engulf both of his legs keeping his blood flow continuous, it’s as if he had no legs at all.


The rounding tube that is fed through his nose, down the throat, and into the 
stomach is his enemy. 

He cannot move. If he does, pain. I’ve never seen him like this.

I leave after a few hours of staring. I couldn’t stomach the smell. I couldn’t stomach the thoughts.

So I walked down the white halls, past the desk nurses, slide away from the wheel 
chairs and gurneys, away from the filled rooms of “what ifs?” and drug induced bodies.

Past the waiting rooms where the devil himself empties your soul; draining all hope. 

Welcome to the place that saves lives. 

© 2012 Amber S. Hays


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
Added on March 27, 2012
Last Updated on March 28, 2012
Tags: hospitals, sickening, hurt

Author

Amber S. Hays
Amber S. Hays

GA



About
My name is Amber. I am 21 years old and I'm currently in school majoring in literature and writing I love writing. Anything and everything. I like to be truthful as well as straight forward. Feedbac.. more..

Writing