Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amber

   It wasn't until I got on the plane that it hit me. I was doing it.  I was actually going to LA. The years of hearing stories from my friends and wishing on stars were finally over. Ever since I could remember  I'd had an obsession with California. Living vicariously through books and movies were, unfortunately, the closest I had got. 
   My parents didn't share my passion for the golden coast when it came to deciding the destination of our family holiday, which I always felt was comparable to dictatorship but my dad would just laugh and my brother would ruffle my hair every time I mentioned this. 
   But now I was 17, old enough to take on the world on my own.
   Okay, not exactly on my own. I was going with my best friend Kara and her older brother, Danny and we were only staying for 2 months but it was still a dream come true.    I was going to spend them 2 months working as a paid intern for 
Eve magazine the world's leading high-end fashion source! Eve was basically my bible throughout school so nothing could keep me away when I came across the online announcement of a competition for a highly sought after summer internship in their LA office.
   I didn't mention it to anyone when I sent off several designs and a few sample pieces as an entry requirement because, come on, the competition was out of 3060 people. 
   What were the chances?
   But when the thick cream envelope arrived a month ago, much to the surprise of, well, everyone, I fought hard not to break down right there. Even my parents had a hard time stopping me from leaving and giving up an opportunity this big and considering my dad was the most successful lawyer in Chelsea, they agreed to pay for it!
    
   I grinned to myself at the memory. It was one of the best moments of my life. 
   "Ay, Millie. What are you smiling at?" I looked to my right as Kara sat down in the seat next to me, her chest-length hair bouncing as she did so. Kara was stunning. She was every boys dream. Blonde hair, sky blue eyes, pale creamy skin and the sweetest person I knew. As opposed to my brown locks that went to my waist, tan skin and jade green eyes. We had been best friends since we were four years old and I pushed Ben Johnson over in the playground so he would give her back her crayons.
   "What isn't there to be smiling about? I'm just so happy." I rested my head back onto the seat to soak it all in.
   Kara was grinning at me. She knew exactly how I felt. She may not be aspiring to be a fashion journalist but she was about to work for Jean Pierre, LA's most highly proclaimed chef. It was her dream.
   "Hey, you two. Stop grinning like idiots and put on your seatbelts! We're about to take off." Ben said while sitting down on the other side of Kara. He was just grumpy from having fit all of our hand luggage into the overhead cabin. We weren't the type of people to pack lightly.
   I winked at him which made the corners of his mouth turn up slightly. All was forgiven. He ran his hand through his messy blonde hair. He looked just like Lily except with hazel eyes, but he still inherited the Markham family good looks.
   I looked out of the window to my left as the plane took off, leaving England behind. I closed my eyes.
   Yup, this was going to be a good summer.
  


© 2014 Amber


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on September 2, 2012
Last Updated on January 7, 2014
Tags: summer, holiday, friends, love, family, dreams, america, la, california, boys, beach, malibu, golden coast, fashion, fun, best friends


Author

Amber
Amber

United Kingdom



About
I'll read anything as long as its good :D more..

Writing
Starstruck Starstruck

A Book by Amber