Letter to My Children

Letter to My Children

A Poem by Avocations of Amber
"

sweet moments of ecstacy to be remembered forever......

"

I've never felt so grateful to be alive.  As we drive through wine country, my family and I fix our eyes on vineyards and evergreens.   I am forced by Mother Nature to memorize the brush-stroked skies as I peek through peridot colored valleys.

 I glance to my right just in time catch a glimpse of lava red azaleas blooming fire along an ordinary hillside.  Their brilliance captivates me.  The scents of spring hold me hostage just the same.    Lilac in every shade of violet droops from sagging branches while the freshly cut grass reminds my senses that the earth still comes from its elements, rather than plasma screens and mega-pixels. 

We drive along in a sanctuary of solitude.  No one says a word, but our breathing speaks volumes above the white noise of the motor's hum.  Our thoughts form, in tandem, as we dwell on the grace of God during this short journey from church to home.  And for one precious moment, there is no wanting to be found, no argument to judge, and no human need to be met.  Peace ensues.  Stillness is gifted.  Yet I wonder.....do they know?  If not today, then perhaps someday.

If it were possible, I'd bubble wrap this moment and archive it until, years from now, when words of the prophets of old have come to pass, I could open this treasure for them once more and reincarnate this ten minutes of bliss.

 

~A. McNally (April 21, 2013)

 

© 2013 Avocations of Amber


Author's Note

Avocations of Amber
not my typical style....no rhyme, no real rhythm either, so it may not truly be considered a poem in the eyes of some. still, it came from the heart...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Lilac in every shade of violet droops from sagging branches while the freshly cut grass reminds my senses that the earth still comes from its elements,'

spring is not quite in full colour here, i'm waiting for our cherry tree to flower, it always looks gorgeous and takes away my breath. this is written to a high standard, great descriptive phrasing and i loved the appreciation of nature, the simple delight in being surrounded by its beauty. a poem i very much enjoyed. fantastic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Avocations of Amber

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much for stopping by.... :) I appreciate your very insightful and complimentary review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 21, 2013
Last Updated on April 21, 2013
Tags: life, God, earth, alive, flowers, valleys

Author

Avocations of Amber
Avocations of Amber

GA



About
I'm 32. I was born in Savannah, Georgia. I currently live in the mountains. I am inspired by nature and love mostly and I find solace in reading. Some of my favorites are: the book, Prince of Tide.. more..

Writing