Story of an Average Nobody.

Story of an Average Nobody.

A Story by Ghost
"

The tale of an unsatisfied underachieving common average person.

"
You wake up and find yourself in this world. You are born. You stumble through the early years in this world. You learn to crawl, you learn to walk, you learn to speak, you learn to talk, you learn languages, you learn to write. You are weak but you make it through these years. You are not dead of malnutrition. You are cured of typhoid. You are not caught by Chicken Pox, Diarrhea, Malaria, Measles or Whooping Cough. You are not kidnapped for ransom. You are not abused by any stranger. You feel you are lucky.

You grow up and step out of your comfort zone where the life begins. You come to make friends. They are better than you. You have a vague idea of what you are and what you want to become. You try finding yourself in others, your friends (who are better than you). You try to walk their path. You start following their dreams. You try to reach their highest scores. You are not good-looking but you see yourself in the mirror and think of yourself as somebody else. You sleep in the night and dream of your coming life as a movie with a happy ending. You dream of marrying a girl like Jennifer Connelly and making children like Harry Potter. Then you wake up as the same nobody with the same vague idea of yourself. You wake up to the same cryptic world. You wake up to the same questions of your existence and again with no answers. You try but still are one step from the top. You want the answers but you face an endless void. You go to sleep with a desire to wake up as somebody else, some days you want to wake up as a magician, some days as a billionaire but next day you are the same troubled person. The cycle goes round and round and round..

Now you are old, in to the sixties, father of unpleasant children, married to an unattractive lady. You are retired from a 16-grade government job. Your wife and children complain for not providing enough, they always have. You have accomplished nothing great to show for your life. The wet dreams of youth are now nightmares. Those dreams of the youth now feel like possibilities not met. You are still not aware of your life's rationale, but now you know you had something, you had a spark which needed ignition but now it will remain an enigma.

Now you are on your deathbed. You are getting the answers. Now you know why your friends were better than you. Now you know what makes you take that one step to be on the top. Now you know what you lacked. Now you know that everyday millions of ''yous'' like you are born and die the same way you are, and why the ''yous'' are not one of ''thems'', them at the top. You want to make it right, you want to run that extra mile, you want to set the high-score, you want to be everything you were ever destined to be but its too late for that. 

Now, you are dead. Its time for you to sleep.

© 2016 Ghost


Author's Note

Ghost
A simple explanation of average man's life. any type of reviews are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Impressive writing. Most common thing which happens to everyone in his life, the way you described life cycle is excellent. And to me ending is amazing according to the flow you adapted, keep it up. You had a lot to achieve with such excellent writing skills

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ghost

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind review.



Reviews

Amazing simple but slightly deep story. Keep it up. It just shows how time is short.

Posted 7 Years Ago


The curse of mediocrity. You describe very well that feeling that deep inside you are somebody special but you cannot put your finger on it, you cannot make it surface for the world to see. If only you could become who you really are...

Very well done. Very authentic.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words.. I am glad you liked it.
As far as how it is written and its flow, it is very well done. The tone is perfect for the subject matter and i like the abrupt ending, I think it fits. I don't particularly agree with this man, I don't believe in average people or ordinary beings. However I do agree that society can make us feel this way and it is difficult to feel like we are important or worthy of anything.

Enjoyed it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind review, I am glad you liked it.
Well I believe we become average by our choices and thinking, the way we picture ourselves in our minds we reflect it in our real life... It happens to everyone and the top spot is a single spot so everyone can't stand there... I believe I may not stand at the top in this world but I will definitely stand out in the crowd and that's why matter... You made some good points here but I believe there are still some average kind of people who live for happiness and just for the true enjoyment of life...

Very good story telling style and I enjoyed the concept... You kept it simple and to the point... I would recommend you to expand it bit more with more things about average human life...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

8 Years Ago

Its a vast topic but I will try to explore more... I am glad liked my way of writing.
Strong, tight writing -- super effective given the subject you're tackling. The same goes for writing it in second person. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I am glad you liked it.
story of my life..brutal..i love it..
it was a bit similar to "Whiplash" a thing i wrote,
please do check it out!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

8 Years Ago

Actually, i am reading whiplash.
There are far too many people in this word for everyone to wind up "on top." I guess the real aim is to wind up in the ultimate "top" - heaven - if it actually exists, which I have to believe it does. Probably the biggest legacy that any of us will ever leave behind is our children. Since I don't have those, about all I have is my poetry; and we all know what that's worth. I'll never discover a cure for cancer so that's another missed opportunity as well. Honestly, the best we can do is learn to love the life we have and quit struggling to obtain that which we'll never have.

I appreciate the melancholic reality of this but really hope there's more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

8 Years Ago

I agree with you, there is more.. I do believe there is heaven and a life after death.. just tried t.. read more
simple but meaningful write, Ghost. I like the way you tell it, choosing present tense and walking the reader through the stages of life of an average person, using second pronoun.
very good start.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ghost

8 Years Ago

Thanks woody.. means a lot.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

991 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2016
Last Updated on April 24, 2016
Tags: sad, life story, death, truth, depression, mediocrity

Author

Ghost
Ghost

Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan



About
Agent of Chaos. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..