you and me and her against the world

you and me and her against the world

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

sometimes a song is a trigger

"
reminded:

a straight up rainbow
suspended
in a spring storm sky --


i breathe in the wind
and think of you,
your radiant face
under a summer sun
a halo of curls
laughing happily,
even as you fell down ...

it was you and me and her
as yet unborn;
us against the world.


i played along,
as the darkness
threatened --
applied the bandaids
and the warm hugs,
sheltered you both,
as much as I could.

it wasn't enough,
this thing now
i have to own.

forgive me daughters.
for I knew not then
what I came to understand.
a man can make a baby,
but making a baby,
can't make him
a man.    
      






© 2017 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

the mother's love and protective spirit reflected in this poem touches me ...i think it is a strength and courage like no other .. i assume this antagonist was abusive ..but your poem kind of leaves that for the reader ..there are too many ways a man "walks away" leaving terrible pain and anguish behind ..but i take away the mother's love you address ..and my thoughts are many and comforting ..thank you for sharing KL .. glad i found this one.
E
ps. time to post anew isn't it?? :).

Posted 7 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

i will keep my eyes peeled for it Lips! ;)
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

The poem is called inside the conversation
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

just read it my friend .. adios for the day ..you be well ya hear!! ;)
Sadly, is a part of life for multitudes of woman. Some men only think for themselves. You worded this in a way that brings attention to the matter. If only more woman could see this and learn from it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Relic

8 Years Ago

I don't think she'll ever come back unless under another name.

You've been added. :)
Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

ha ha -- I am so appreciative of your perfectionist attitude and quips -- your sense of humour is ve.. read more
Relic

8 Years Ago

hahaha. thanks so much.
Wow...this is intensely personal and very powerful. I liked the gradual buildup of darkness to the stark disillusionment at the end. It made the poem really impactful.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

Well, I wouldn't have known! A testament to your prowess.
Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I am currently binging on your work and reviewing, as I am prone to do when I find a new .. read more
Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

Binge away, I'm busy procrastinating (as is often the case).
I have songs that are triggers too. You remember the beautiful times and then wonder where things turned.
A beautiful poem KL.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you, yes, I appreciate the visits, my friend.
KL, this wrenched my heart...deeply...fantastic wisdom and emotion used here and so very sadly true, excellent :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your kindness.
Hi KL. Not the right word, but I thoroughly 'enjoyed' reading this. The background pathos and sadness pervade the whole piece, a little for me like Sting's Fields of Gold. I love the idea of us against the world - the idea of a loving tight knit fortress with love and protection inside. My guess is that folk can read this more than one way, especially as regards who the 'I' is in the poem. For me it's a father now bringing up the girls because the wife who 'fell down' is no more. He tried denial, but reality happened. I find this very poignant. As I say, even if your meaning was different from this, it just reads so nicely in a melancholy kinda style.

I like the song, especially the harmonies and the acoustic guitar. I'm into mixing demos at the moment for our amateur band and my head is full of options for instrumentation, so the mixer side of me is saying I don't like the piano as it's too chocolate box for me. But the harmonies are wonderful.

Best regards
Nigel

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Yes it definitely could be read that way. Thank you for your review.
Absolutely beautiful song and poem...you tell about the experience with grace and honesty. This touches me deeply.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your kindness.
Nor can it make him a Dad.....only special men can be Dads. Your daughters will see you as the strong woman you are and when they are older, they will thank you for your courage. We can not always see the obvious....because our hearts will not allow us to. Well written, KL. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughtful review.
I liked the first it took me as a kid seeing someone of importance. It made a great deal of sense and well enlighten:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your review
This is a very poignant statement about the state of families these days . . . often broken. You've showed us the pain, without assigning blame, only the observations of our broken humanity. Never having been a mom, you've allowed me to walk for a bit in those sacred slippers.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

543 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2016
Last Updated on January 5, 2017
Tags: love, children, hard times, forgiving oneself, ending spousal abuse


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..