my tears in a jar

my tears in a jar

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

empty memories

"
sitting on the rock
of the person
I used to be,
contemplating
the half empty jar
of tears
I have left.
I shake it --
a maudlin snow globe
that chronicles her past.
I open it,
and spill out
a little more.

It is
an historical collection.
fit for a museum,
but  it's not
in mint condition,
and will continue
to evaporate
over time,
like the whisps
of his memory,
encrusted on the rock
I will one day leave
entirely behind.



© 2016 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh there's a lot of pain about today. I would love to be a rock when my time is up. Sadly there are too many broken people in the world. Great way you put it into words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I was happy with the way this one turned out.
So true and touching, we all have such moments and memories in our life, and your title of the poem "my tears in a jar" stands for those memories of heartbreak but the hopeful ending of the poem is so beautiful and leaves the reader with a positive thought that one day we will rise above from the painful past and tears that hides somewhere in our own world of heart... So beautiful...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

thank you so much, this is one of my more treasured recent writings.
This is so excellent & meaningful & precisely crafted. I love this: "a maudlin snow globe that chronicles her past" both becuz it's a great analogy, but also becuz you use "her" and thereby distance yourself (the narrator) from this jar of tears & memories, we can almost feel the intensity evaporating & transforming into something else besides the sadness it used to be. There are so many aspects of this message that mirror my own life at the current moment.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I am so glad you picked up on that. I have had a couple people think it might not have be.. read more
a well written piece dear poet. the imagery so clear and the title was very clever for this poem.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Well thank you, I appreciate that.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
I love the words half empty jar of tears, I think they perfectly describe the feelings in your poem. Memories of things that had a strong impact on our lives are hard to forget, even though we want them to vanish entirely, they still might hide in any dark and deep place somewhere in the back of my mind, I can tell by experience. But as your positive and hopeful closing lines have already said, maybe some day our lives are filled with so much joy that we can let them go completely. Your poem provides such a marvellously calm and thoughtful mood, I could drink your words in and feel them myself, mostly because I can relate to the content.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Me too. Women friends are in short supply.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
really nice written poem KL, one of my favorites from you, even though it has given me an achy heart thinking that there is still this "half empty" jar slowly evaporating, too slowly if I get to throw my 2 cents in...
one suggestions you may consider is the change the "her" to "my" since it is a very personal "history", your history, not "her" history as though you are somehow disattached from those tears.... but of course, unlike me who leaves you things to correct intentionally (honest), I may of course be misreading... in any case it is a minor thing to consider...

so KL do you need someone to come and ask you to get your butt off that rock of past regrets??? I know its a rough and dirty job, but someone has to do it... lol... should I go an d talk to that farmboy/cowboy??? I mean we need some distraction here!!! by the way, I liked the use of "maudlin" in this poem.. it is a good way to describe this snow globe full of tears... and unfortunately self pity (the definition of maudlin) does not evaporate, it sticks and remains until shattered... so KL me and the posse are coming to rescue your a*s from this rock... no worries the farmboy will be leading the charge!!! no worries KL, just me being my usual weird self...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Yes dear, I meant to convey detachment on purpose -- as him and her are over -- and you got exactly .. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

and with that, you have inspired a poem -- I love your reviews ...:)
The only memories that evaporate over time are the ones we WANT to forget. Those that are truly important to us hang around. I liked the metaphor here, KL. I am not in mint condition either...some days I am not even a gummy bear! :) I liked this one. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Lydia, I think you got right away that I was referring to past bad memories, and nothing fro.. read more
Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

Oh, I have heard "mint condition" before....I was just trying to be funny!
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

oh, ok, Einstein pointed it out too, so I thought it wasn't commonly used there or something.:)
creative half jar of tears ..for me a very original thought .. great lines: "a maudlin snow globe" and this bit:
"but it's not
in mint condition," ....love it! ;) did you mean to switch to third person in the first verse, tenth line? .. i know it is picky but should be "a historical " instead of an historical ...unless my lacking higher education puts me in the dark :)) first line so powerfully opens up the sdness in me ..the loss of confidence and knowing who we are is traumatic ..sometimes fatal ... closing lines with the dissolution of tears but briney crustaceans remain .. to drop off for sure tho it may take some time ... your poem took me to a road i have been over as many readers also have .. intricate weavings in a language that is universal ..enjoyed the read ..feel the sadness and hope ;)
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

ah! i wondered if that were not the case ...and thank you for my Canadian lesson for the day ..:)) m.. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Yes, perhaps I should do a little Canadianism poem
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

Yes! i think you should!! :)
There's years of pain and hurt that go into filling our jars. They used to fill up quickly in the beginning but over time time do you find you cry less at the truly sad stuff? And isn't that in itself sad? That we become desensitized? Spill the tears from the jar, and release all the pain held inside. xx

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

To the old hurts yes, and I don't think that is a bad thing, to finally empty the jar.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Nope, not a bad thing at all. :)
sometimes tears can be beautiful, but the pain that brought them about is not...and the pain and suffering through the years makes us feel that the glass is not half-empty, but completely empty...

and there are no remains of the optimistic, loving person we used to be.

j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Everyone sees something different when they read someone else's pain. For me, this particular jar ne.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

510 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 14, 2016
Last Updated on August 14, 2016
Tags: tears, heartache, past, new, love


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Flower Love Flower Love

A Poem by Sammi