de-fragging the mental dust bunnies

de-fragging the mental dust bunnies

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

A disjointed dream

"
I roll over, fresh from dreaming. I mumble something. Unintelligible. My mind still wet with the worrisome abstract remains of too much rum last night. The walls were closing in on the home that had too many renovations to complete. People were everywhere. Who were they? A flood. A broken fan. Damage from a previous fire. I suppose that's why the icicles were clinging to a non-existent cathedral ceiling, laden with broken pipes. This is my home, but it's not. Not really. A labyrinth. A maze. When do the people in the hazmat suits show up? Never mind, I say. I had a dream, it wasn't sexy. Not this time anyway. I pull him closer into me. THIS is my home. He has this way of clearing my mind. Unclogging whatever is lodged in there. Dreams don't have to make sense. They are just the mind's way of de-fragging the mental dust bunnies. The writing is just restoring the recycle bin.


© 2016 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
Flips in tense intentional, as are the run on and disjointed sentences.
CAPTCHA pyrexial

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Perfectly stated. I love the image that defragging the dust bunnies from my mind conjures up...(I'm sure that isn't where I am meant to put the memory stick) but seriously, you do state the reason we dream so well in those words, it is nothing more than a screensaver mode for essential maintenance. I'm just glad our dreams can be a little more vivid than a windows system update. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your read and review, and astute observation.:)
i can so relate to this dream .. except the pulling him closer part .. for me that would be Norma ;) i love dreams i remember ..i agree and also think that at least most are for de-fragging (nice metaphor by the way ... it feels good to say it...deeeeeeeeeeeeefraggggggging) this dream of yours seems to me to say ...a lot going on ..lots of stress (burst pipes and water inside a home is significant ... then you add fire and ice and mazes and people oh my!!! great read this morning ..great dream!! lots of meat there ... my optimist me is grateful for the ending ;))
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks. For sure, dreams are a complex mixture of past and present. And I so relate to the song. A b.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

oh boy do i relate to "the rescuer" ...you are so spot on my dear friend! by the way we are still ge.. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Really? Wow. I guess they don't come up on my comments.
Brilliant. True home is where one can rest in the arms away from such things. I often say home is not a place but someone :) As always KL, you mastered metaphor and sparked a smile. Superb x

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Poppy. I appreciate it.
You know that rum will getchya every time.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Yeah, the rum. Must've been. Next time I will make it beer.:)
Very true bring on the ginkgo biloba because maybe just maybe it will help the mindset lol:) Love the ditty:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

thanks, I appreciate it.
??????

7 Years Ago

Welcome boy this site is giving problems today
This is a superb showing of exactly how it feels when we're groggy.
Right after we wake up, especially when we're woken up suddenly, it really feels like that.

The line about the Hazmat suits was a 10/10.
So was your decision to define the mind as 'Wet' with the remains of the rum.
I think that one of the best and most important capabilities of a writer is to say something in a way that is both vivid, unique -and- easy to understand.

Good job Goode.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Why thank you sir, I appreciate it.
This is very original & relatable. I often need to write out my most powerful dreams or they haunt me all day. You've portrayed it exactly like the dream it is, discombobulated, & yet also reaching for the familiar warmth of sanity nearby. Makes for a complete little vignette that's enjoyable to read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I liked it more when I read it again.
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

The title & subsequent explanation of it are brilliantly crafted!
great last line...and he is your reality---the one who can defrag the dreams...dust off the trepidation...and create the calm.
really strong imagery, as always.
j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
What a beautiful way to present it. A restorative bad dream, especially with someone else to mitigate the after effects.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Yes, basically a direct download into my brain, without stopping for translation. Lol.
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I have another one like this. It is called "Blue Lobsters and pickled beets" --it is one of my favou.. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

How far back? Will have a look... ☺️
That's nice. The bad dreams come but if you have someone next to you to offer comfort then they don't linger as long.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

It is strange, unsettling, how the past mingles with the present in dreams. Not a place I like to dw.. read more
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Yeah, tell me about. You can't control your dreams. I try to think happy thoughts before sleep eve.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

472 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2016
Last Updated on August 14, 2016
Tags: dream, dust bunnies, restore


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..