The roses of past love

The roses of past love

A Story by Lyn Anderson
"

Kara reflects on love and judgment

"

Looking back on the last 15 years or so, Kara now feels one of the main things she has had to overcome is judgment.  When you live in an abusive relationship, it's all about judgment -- how people see your marriage from the outside, and how the abuser judges you. People whisper and wonder why you stay. Well meaning friends may try to get you to leave, or help you to stay. One counsellor decides your marriage isn't so bad because you are still having sex, and tries to get you to work with the abuser. The next counsellor concludes there is no hope.

 

No one asks you what you want, what you need. Somehow, being happy in a relationship must be selfish. It's all about judgment. Who's right, who's wrong, how "easy" it will be to split from the abuser and have a court decide your fate. It's not easy, not quick, nor painless, yet it feels like everyone thinks it is.

 

When it finally happens there are those who say it's too easy, and people should "work out their problems". But problems can only be worked out if both parties are willing and able, and that, is rarely the case. Kara knows of  some with marriages worse than hers, and some with better, but ultimately, none of them could be saved. Which begs the question, should they have been saved? Why? To what end?

 

From what she can see, ordinary people (of the non-celebrity variety) do not take marriage lightly, and do try. The truth is, the real number of people who would stay together is probably naturally 50 per cent or less.  This number was artificially buoyed by circumstances that were beyond the couple's control in past decades.

 

Why do we assume people are less committed, rather than being more able to break up relationships that are not successful? Why is that a bad thing? Is it a failure of society that a woman is able to own her own property and make her own money so that she is able to leave a miserable marriage? Is it a bad thing that  couples who previously might have stayed in an unhappy relationship and just turned a blind eye to infidelity for the sake of keeping the marriage together now feel they can get out of that situation and move on?

 

Looking on the past with rose coloured glasses and imagining that relationships were less disposable "back when" for romantic reasons simply isn't reality.  Of course there were few divorces when men owned women like chattel, they had no property rights, ability to earn their own money, and were not even allowed to initiate a divorce. All the power was in the hands of the man, and a woman just had to hope the man who picked her was a good one. Even if she did not love him, if he didn't beat her and he was a good provider, she was among the lucky. 

 

If you want to find true love, don't look to the past. Look to the now. When a couple stays together because they want to, In a world where choice is infinite and anything goes, and either party can walk out at any moment, now that, is real.

© 2016 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
just something I wanted to say

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This exasperates me! For what Kara went through the imbecile of a counsellor who quite frankly I want to slap some sense into. Are some people so dismissive of the of the magnitude when one arrives at the conclusion of divorce. I know that personally. Living in Canada having only given birth 3 months and discovering my husband had been cheating on me for 18months and then to add insult to injury my in laws telling me that exact same thing about still having sex with him...grrrr and then trying to shame me for not trying to work it out and bringing Curtis back to NZ. Sorry for my rant this moves me and caused a hugely emotional surge to bubble up to the surface. Incredible write, honest with so much integrity. Love ya. R xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I know you get it.:)
That angers me to hear someone said if can't be so bad if you're still having sex. Don't they think maybe it's because you have to? Because you get beat up if you don't? Not saying that's what "Kara" experienced but that's often why.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

They haven't a clue. No one can look into someone else's life and make such judgments. The whole con.. read more
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Have a good one!
I am always interested in your point of view & yet a little surprised at the peaceful accepting tone of this. The topic of your bad marriage is not an easy one to discuss without all the bad feelings surfacing, so it's a great thing to watch you have this discussion without that old bitterness being evident. I love the way you are simply laying out the lessons & impressions of your own experience, without being defensive, for whoever can relate to something here that they want to take away & ponder. I agree with your assessment that most people do try their best to make relationships work & do not take marriage lightly. There were no "good old days" when most people stayed married for life & worked everything out. Many well-stated thought-provoking points in your essay.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you. It takes a while to get to the matter of fact less than bitter stage, as you well know. T.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Damn! That deserves a entirely separate write! I like what you did here, but there's another larger .. read more
Great words. Some people have a love hate relationship that works for both of them.
Some start with blind love, or just blinkers.
The days of the caveman provider though, all gone.
I saw the revolution 20 years ago.
I don't know how many women told me they didn't need a man.
Yet men can't function without a woman. ( Or maybe a mother. )
But i suppose these days, a relationship is just a click away.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

I suppose my parents were like that. But in later years, even she took her independence.
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

There are some legitimately happy, working marriages, past and present. The difference is, today, it.. read more
Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

I actually think now that 21st century marriages work, cos couples don't see each other for long per.. read more
I agree with your thoughts and logic.
"If you want to find true love, don't look to the past. Look to the now. When a couple stays together because they want to, In a world where choice is infinite and anything goes, and either party can walk out at any moment, now that, is real."
The above lines take hard work and two people working together. I believe some separations are difficult because of the children. People try to keep hope alive for the sake of the kids. Thank you dear friend for sharing your words and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

That means so much, thank you. I have struggled much with the whens, the hows, the whys. I am tired .. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I know wasn't a romantic poem. Some people don't fit together.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 8, 2016
Last Updated on October 8, 2016
Tags: love, past, divorce, anger, gone, new

Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..