Mark of My Faith

Mark of My Faith

A Poem by Ami N.
"

A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her. ~David Brinkley

"

They ask me why I wear that thing on my head.

Is it because I’m bald, or a women - oppressed?

They tell me that this is America and I am free

That there is no reason to cover up my body

 

Towel-head they call me

An Arab from a distant country

If only - if only they but knew

That I’m not afraid to be one of the few

 

I can’t help but roll my eyes and smile

At the reason why they ridicule me - my style.

They think they’re saying it to bruise me.

But in fact is does nothing but amuse me.

 

‘Cuz these clothes I wear

To cover my body and hair

You see, this is part of me

Here to preserve my dignity

 

I cover up because I believe in modesty

My body is not for everyone to see

I don’t want to be judged by the color of my hair or skin

I’d much rather be judged by what I have within

 

Why do they think that this isn’t my choice?

Don’t I have the power to raise my voice?

I’d much rather follow God’s rules and fashions

Instead of society’s - like the Monroe’s and Kardashians’.

 

Us girls are so much more than icons of beauty

We have brains and hearts - now wouldn’t you agree?

Wearing these concealing outfits gives us a chance

To make people realize not to judge us at first glance

 

God has made all of us women and girls

Hidden and beautiful, just like pearls

So our beauty we must keep guarded

And snide comments and words disregarded

 

So for all of you - the minority out there

Do what you know is right and don’t despair

And remember, not everything you do

Has to be between them and you.

© 2012 Ami N.


Author's Note

Ami N.
Well, this poem speaks for itself. This is inspired by the lyrics of a song and few similarities may be evident. I wouldn't say that this poem is very well written, but I hope the message is conveyed. I very much appreciate constructive criticism; however, hate comments (as always) will be deleted.

This is my experiment with a different rhyme scheme. Instead of my usual a-b-c-b, I did a-a-b-b. I added a little punctuation...does it sound alright?

Again, thank you if you take the time to read and review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As i read this poem, there were so many times, when i thought "wow. This is my favorite line" but then i kept on coming across so many of those favorite lines, that it'll be of no use to point them out here. The entire poem is amazing.
It speaks volumes. The message conveyed is very strong.
And you know what, i have always subconsciously felt , that purdah is a custom forced upon girls and women. The sixth stanza seemed to be talking to me, telling me i am wrong.
I love the fifth stanza. I love the entire poem.
Thank you for the amazing poetry.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I live also in the USA and your poem touches me so deeply..tears fill my eyes for the ignorance & stupidity that still exists...Your strength is clear and admirable.. I am honored that I got to read your poem, your thoughts, your beliefs... I was so taken with the message that I had to reread for the rhyme...
Bravo !
Your quote is great as well !


Posted 11 Years Ago


i love it really. hijab is normal costume here in Egypt but i can imagine how many difficulties you face because of putting it in a country like america. but you know? i always say, those who wear hijab in free countries deserve admiration because they dont wear it just as a traditional costume..they wear it because they know how much it saves their bodies from eyes...
they speak about women's rights thinking hijab is against it, if hijab is against it, being naked to get money is a kind of respecting women? i believe that Islam is the only religion keeping the women rights...at least, a muslim lady can keep her family name after marriage, not changing her name following her husband's...
another issue, why is it a right for a christian lady to wear hijab in churches and they think of such ladies as pure and good ladies while on the other hand, they dont give the same right or thought about a muslim lady putting on hijab? isnt that unfair and a kind of racial descrimination which such free countries fight against?
i think i have talked too much, but that is because i really loved and enjoyed your courageous poem..

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautifully written ^^ It was written perfectly, clearly, and cleanly :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow ... Just wow. I lost my words when I read this wonderful poem... Wow!
Amazing work!
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


Is this poem based of from the nasheed The Veil?

AMI! THIS IS AHMAZING SISTAH! Has to be the best write I have ever read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ami N.

11 Years Ago

Yessir :D

*bows*
I thank thee.

(LOL!)
Forever Hidden

11 Years Ago

:P LOL
As i read this poem, there were so many times, when i thought "wow. This is my favorite line" but then i kept on coming across so many of those favorite lines, that it'll be of no use to point them out here. The entire poem is amazing.
It speaks volumes. The message conveyed is very strong.
And you know what, i have always subconsciously felt , that purdah is a custom forced upon girls and women. The sixth stanza seemed to be talking to me, telling me i am wrong.
I love the fifth stanza. I love the entire poem.
Thank you for the amazing poetry.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

omg...this really made me think! i never thought of it this way....
really really good!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful mark of faith. Well written with truth and inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing. Keep up the good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


God has made all of us women and girls

Hidden and beautiful, just like pearls

So our beauty we must keep guarded

And snide comments and words disregarded
...............yes true. good write. I love your wordings and poetic nature. with regards.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1353 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on April 1, 2012

Author

Ami N.
Ami N.

CA



About
Me~ 'Tis what I am. And no better me can there be of me 'Cuz I am the only me there can ever be :) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Soldier The Soldier

A Poem by Ami N.


Juliet Juliet

A Poem by Summer D.


Homework Homework

A Poem by Ami N.


MYNA MYNA

A Poem by ~Dragon X