Just another day

Just another day

A Story by Imperfection
"

Based on my life.

"

Looking into the mirror I add the final touches of color to my cheek. The softness of the brush reminds me of the feel of your fingertips on my cheekbones. I feel a lump rising in my throat. It dies within seconds leaving me empty again. I run the brush through my short hair, then like always, I turn my head both ways to check whether it looks fine. As usual, every strand is sitting obediently in place. My long fingers wrap themselves around the pale-blue bottle of perfume as I gently spray a bit of it onto my skin. Very cautiously, I place it back. I inhale deeply, closing my eyes as I let the familiar smell travel into my lungs. I imagine it traveling inside my body, through my veins and straight into my heart.

Will this perfume rejuvenate my soul?

 

Then I pick myself up from the stool and look into the image starring back from the mirror. Our mirror.

My petite frame looks fatigued. I am surprised at how my eyes look, despite my best efforts to conceal the tiredness in them with the help of make-up. The maroon lipstick compliments my pale skin. I wonder am I looking paler than yesterday?

I try to force a smile to hide the frown. Without much success.

The image gets a bit blurry now. I blink repeatedly to stop the tears. Then, I spin around quickly and walk to the far end of the room. The two drawer handkerchief box sits on the Mahogany Chest. Our Mahogany Chest - our first purchase together. I open the bottom drawer first and take out a large checkered handkerchief that I rub against my lips and down the length of my neck before folding it neatly and placing it in my pocket, alongside my heart.

Can this lifeless piece of cloth communicate with my heart?

 

From the other drawer, I pull out another piece casually and drop the hankie (mine)into my purse. Finally, I draw my wallet out of the purse and open it. There’s your picture in it. I love the way you smile.

Are you smiling at me?

I kiss the picture of you and put the wallet back.

 

Your perfume

Your handkerchief.

And your picture.

 

As I leave the house with the smell, the touch and the image of you, I assure myself that I will be able to go through this day…

I do not know if I can but I still try to convince myself that it's possible to live through another day...

Another day without you.

 

© 2008 Imperfection


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah....this is sad and touching and heart retching...Are you sure this is meant to be?? Can you go get him??? Sounds like a love story that needs to be rejuvenated. It reminds me of a love story where the couple breaks up but ends up back together...Makes me think, maybe this needs to have a happy ending,...but then, who am I? "-) Very heart felt...

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Good job once again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is really heart touching and reflects the deepest aspects of emotion, i loved it, amazing job.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, we will always make it through another day. It is the "wanting"to make it through that day, that is unbearable. You seem to have convinced yourself you can. I think it is great.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caffeine this is so heartbreaking, but exquisitely expressed. I love the imagery in this. I can feel and see it. It is very hard to let go of someone that meant so much. You really captured the ache of the heart. A beautiful piece!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice story! Strong images that drew me right into the picture of the pathos
and loneliness felt by you as you went about your day trying to convince yourself
that the perfume, the handkerchief and the picture could ease the longing of
your heart.

Thank you for submitting this wonderful story to my "Loneliness" contest.

Helena


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is lovely and at the same time sad...and i absolutely luv the title! great story...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this piece of writing a lot. It told a whole love story in only three paragraphs leaving out all unecesary words. you said it all righ tthere.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am at a loss of words to describe how captivated I am by this immaculate story and how carried out I am by the sheer delicacy of your imagination. It feels as if I just lived through the story as I read it. I am sorry about the loss and sufferings in your life but one thing is for sure, if any such thing can yield a literature of this class then it's a blessing on the other side. Excellent story, I'm your fan for this!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is beautifully vivid writing with wonderful sentiment. You take us on this brief journey with you as your incredible precision of word paints a soft, artistic canvas. The bold font enhances the piece perfectly. I cannot begin to express how much I enjoy this one, Caffeine... Exceptional imagery!!!

It must become a part of my library. You are quite talented...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have to admit, I love this heart wrenching story. Thank you so much for entering my contest, and congratulations.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1125 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on March 9, 2008
Last Updated on September 12, 2008

Author

Imperfection
Imperfection

India



About
�Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a piece of blank paper until your forehead bleeds� - Douglas Adams. I am a woman in my 20's. I love writing...sometimes it doesn't.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..