What is a mother?

What is a mother?

A Poem by Ashley Myers

What is a mother?

Though it's hard to define the exact meaning;

I know that it has never been nor will ever be you.

So many excuses, too many to count.

Just be honest, I can face the truth

You just didn't want me.

 

Drugs, alcohol, and men, were top rank in your priorities

While you played Russian Roulette with life

I was playing your part; at least the one you should have been playing.

Cooking, cleaning, taking care of siblings, so young.

What kind of life is that for a child?

 

What is a mother?

It's not letting you're children be victims of sexual taunting.

Being told "not to tell anybody"

Being undressed and shown adult obscenities.

Destroying the body and soul of an innocent.

 

You locked me in closets while you played

As I heard laughing and rustling sheets

I knew I wasn't coming out for a while.

Each man different than the last

Eager to see what I would be when I bloomed.

 

What is a mother?

She's not someone who leaves their child filthy and dirty

Unbathed, hungry, and helpless.

You left us in the middle of the road that day

With tear stains and sad faces left wondering when you were coming back.

 

I once needed you, but no more.

Because of you I know what a mother isn't.

Because of you, I am stronger woman

I know now what not to do with my kids.

Because of you, I AM a mother!

 

 

 

 

 

© 2011 Ashley Myers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is amazing! 100/100
I can see your personality shining through in all your work, you seem like a very strong and outspoken person about these kinds of difficulties in life. And I've seen alot of poems on this subject, but this one seems to take on a different approach. Like usually these poems are all "woe is me", but yours seems to have a stronger, more "positive" vibe to it- mainly because of the last paragraph and especially the last line. "Because of you, I AM a mother!"
When it comes to my personal response, I luckily couldn't relate at all, and this didn't really touch me that much. But that's no suprise, I've only read a few poems that really touched me in my whole life, and one poem in my entire life that has ever made me cry- and thats because it was written by my amazing friend Laura, about a situation we were both in at that time (so I obviously related to it).
Anyways, you seem like you've been through alot. I wish you the best of luck in your life.
-Sarah~Saki, yo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is amazing! 100/100
I can see your personality shining through in all your work, you seem like a very strong and outspoken person about these kinds of difficulties in life. And I've seen alot of poems on this subject, but this one seems to take on a different approach. Like usually these poems are all "woe is me", but yours seems to have a stronger, more "positive" vibe to it- mainly because of the last paragraph and especially the last line. "Because of you, I AM a mother!"
When it comes to my personal response, I luckily couldn't relate at all, and this didn't really touch me that much. But that's no suprise, I've only read a few poems that really touched me in my whole life, and one poem in my entire life that has ever made me cry- and thats because it was written by my amazing friend Laura, about a situation we were both in at that time (so I obviously related to it).
Anyways, you seem like you've been through alot. I wish you the best of luck in your life.
-Sarah~Saki, yo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

T-T makes me so sad. But i love this one. Powerfull, it is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This ia an awesome tribute to mothers, and you are an awesome writer

Posted 13 Years Ago


My sentiments exactly, to my father. This is so powerful and painful. So many people will connect with this, me included. Sadly, parents think they deserve the title "Mother" or "Father" just by passing on their genes. I fonly they could see how desperately erroneous they are. This brought up so many emotions, wanted and unwanted, and I thank you for that. You've done your job as poet.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Just because someone can reproduce does not make them a mom! Sad, but good write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


get it, shout it, be it. The brutish ways of "mothers" don't mean they were ever a "mom" you get to recreate in the vision for yours now.
Just some support goes a long way

Posted 13 Years Ago


You are such a strong woman. This touched me deeply. As I read a tear streamed down my face. It's very strong & emotional.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is such an amazing poem. It really reminds me of my past. My mother was a prostitute and was never around. At the time I was only five and I basically took care of my baby sister who was 2 years old. I can relate.
I like the last line especially. I feel the exact same way, never will I repeat the mistakes of my parents and from my past I've grown into something they never will.
You've definitely risen above your parents! I'm so sorry though that happened :(
A strong write that I for once can relate to---
Added to my favourites.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's hard when a mother fails in her duties and it can have a devastating effect on the child throughout their life but it doesn't have to be that way and the fact that you have managed to rise above it and become a decent mother makes you a brave and admirable person. A grreat poem..

Posted 13 Years Ago


so brave of you to share this made me cry life can be a rough thing to indure and what we might have to go throughthat we shouldn't of had to it makes a stronger better person sorry you had indure this but even so sad yet beautiful ending. what doesn't kill us makes us stronger god bless lily

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 3, 2011
Last Updated on February 4, 2011

Author

Ashley Myers
Ashley Myers

Bowling Green, OH



About
HI! Lets see....about me......I'm 23, Im a mother of two. I have a very trying four year old boy, and a darling 4 1/2 month old baby girl. Both of them are my world. I'm a stay at home mom and i love.. more..

Writing
Blinded Blinded

A Poem by Ashley Myers



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


His Canvas His Canvas

A Poem by Chelsea