The Age of Hate

The Age of Hate

A Poem by anais.vionet
"

an essay on our the times we find ourselves in

"
Ok, I'm not paid to think (like the TV shouting heads), I have no real voice (vote), and certainly no credentials�"but I'm as invested in America as any high-school citizen can be�"I've pledged allegiance 3,000 times (hhmmm ... do they doubt our loyalty?) and when it comes to loving America I'd have to say my classmates and I are at the center of the spell.

I'm afraid we're growing up in the age of hate ... the age of phony outrage where each position large or small is high noon and violence is afoot even when policing ordinary citizens.

We won't address the multitude of old problems in this new age ... we'll just unleash a marquetry of half truths to dispute the proven until unreasoned arguments reach their paranoid fullness. The real world is alarming enough�"let's just push that away and ignore it�"and while we're at it let's s**t shame the poor, the old, the sick, the unemployed, the hungry and the hand of mercy.

I realize America was never one moral atom bonded for the better�"but those anvils that forged us appear neglected or forsaken. I'm afraid what's happening now, what we're seeing and hearing now, is a symphony of erosion�"that by the time I have any say at all, the middle class will be gone�"America turned slum�"where even the voice of despair will be termed traitor. 

We'll only be able to see our greatness in museum souvenir shops where nothing is affordable and everything is made elsewhere.

© 2020 anais.vionet


Author's Note

anais.vionet
all comments welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on June 9, 2020
Last Updated on June 9, 2020
Tags: politics, the media, teen, public discourse

Author

anais.vionet
anais.vionet

GA



About
high school student more..

Writing