5 Senses down to 4

5 Senses down to 4

A Story by Neeks
"

Dystopic short story based on earphones/headphones. Some reference to Islamic Literature.

"

Dystopian Short Story

 

“In another narration the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is reported to have said that people will dance with instruments on their heads (which some have interpreted as headphones) …”


As a child I remember learning about my religion and about old prophecies. I remember how much I dreaded them to actually take place. It seemed as realistic as humans landing on the surface of the sun. Little did I know as I rapidly grew up, everything slowly changed along with me.


The new beats were the craze. Red, blue, green, yellow. You name It, there was a colour to suit everyone’s preference. The queue to purchase these headphones was so vast that the back extended far beyond sight, I guess they have been advertising it for a few months now everybody has been anxiously waiting not only to see them work for the first time but also listen to their own music privately and freely now.


Four hours later and I have finally got the best headphones ever!! The majestic, gold rimmed, glossy set felt so perfect in my grasp. I thought to myself. A thirteen-year-old with the freshest set of beats. Wicked! I mean, at first it didn’t seem too bad. Without the headphones I would have been lonely, without anyone to care for me or even want to know me. It’s astonishing what advertisements of products can do… the power of the media is never ending. It then occurred to me how something of not much use to other people can bring somebody so much popularity and confidence. I mean, I have: blond, short, shabby hair and a body the size of a hot air balloon. Its true what they say. Money makes the world go around. I realised that the media had the power to manipulate a large population, lead them to buy something which isn’t very beneficial to them and without even questioning the decision we all rushed out to purchase these $300 headphones. I shook my head and headed back home.


From that day on I analysed every aspect of my life. Every advertisement I saw was the same, just formatted in a different way. “$200 INTRODUCTORY DEAL.” Either a celebrity was promoting it on the big screens or the radio speakers had adverts blaring from their heavy metal speakers. A thought arose to me, I imagined my life when I was younger. Just a small, innocent child. Practicing my religion often led to interesting discoveries, one of these happened to be a prophecy which read “In another narration the Prophet (peace be upon him) is reported to have said that people will dance with instruments on their heads (which some have interpreted as headphones)”. I reminisced and acknowledged that what I had then imagined, humans with big robot-like metal strapped to their heads. Humans yet they did not look human. They were alive but dead " the soul was gone. And then I realised, not only has it come true, it is even more detrimental as I am living it!


How do I escape this once imagined dystopian world? How do I free myself? I slipped on my stylish new headphones and headed out. It came to my realisation that the radio was playing on my headphones, not my song choice. I then reached for my mp3 player to choose another of my songs. Again the radio did not change. I began to listen to what was being presented to me. It was something about how the CIA are looking for 5 enthusiastic individuals to volunteer for them. I stepped out of my house, the air was crisp thin, as cold as ice. As I looked up I realised how dark the sky was, it felt just like a serene winter morning yet we had only just reached August. Everyone around me was consumed within their new found technological pieces. I wonder what they are listening to? I then realised my headphones where still stuck on the same radio channel. As I again attempted to play a song I realised I no longer had the option. I approached another teen, similar age to me however had a more muscular build compared to my scrawny, tall build. “Hey, what are you listening to?” “I dunno.” He shrugged and bopped away. He had his volume up so loud it would shake your brain; I could hear it though…


The same radio station had been playing everywhere. Feeding the same information into everyone’s minds. I instantly hurled my headset to the ground. I refused to be a part of this scam. I was warned. They may not be dancing however the CIA are leading them to be dancing with the devil. How a small piece of equipment can control and take power over the masses in such a short time amazes me. I call it mind control at the least. It is just how I feared; I see humans yet no humanity. The blank stares, blank emotions displayed by these robotic figures lingered in the atmosphere. I sat at home contemplating my next move. How do I stop this when I am the only human conscious? Maybe there are more like me out there? I guess the only way I will know is if I venture out.


Again, swarming through crowds of lifeless bodies. Looking for other humans who have abandoned their powerful newfound technology It hit me. This power is not new found. This power has always been there, has always been put into place. The television, radio, newspaper adverts. They all have power and control over us. They led us to purchase the headsets to make it easier for the government to take power of not only their minds but souls. I guess they have gained what they wanted. A fleet of sheep, ready to serve. I would have never imagined having to do this however I will not allow these bodies to dance around with instruments on their heads. 


They will be free.

© 2017 Neeks


Author's Note

Neeks
Reviews and criticism would be highly appreciated!
Kind Regards,
Aneeka Aftab

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Will return to read this properly, now only have time to quickly scan.. seems to flow well. However. I suggest the entire story is displayed as clearly as the three last paragraphs. Otherwise eyes will ache and so will mind, trying to cope.
ill return..

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Will return to read this properly, now only have time to quickly scan.. seems to flow well. However. I suggest the entire story is displayed as clearly as the three last paragraphs. Otherwise eyes will ache and so will mind, trying to cope.
ill return..

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 18, 2017
Last Updated on December 19, 2017
Tags: Dystopia, Short Story, Music, Apocalypse, Senseless, Zombies

Author

Neeks
Neeks

Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom




Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..