GOING TO TOWN WITH GRANDMUM

GOING TO TOWN WITH GRANDMUM

A Story by angel
"

A trip to town with Gran, featuring her mystical, magical purse

"
What a treat; a trip to town with Gran! She hunted up her big old purse, got me into a sweater despite my protests--"But Gran, it's not even cold," I argued.
"Nivver ye mind thet, child," she replied, "We're in New England, and the wither can turn," she snapped her gnarled, old fingers, "Jist like that!"
A shawl for Gran, and we were om our way.
We hadn't gotten far before we were spotted by a woman who'd met Gran recently at a church bake sale.
"Mrs. Smith!" the lady cried. "How lucky I was to run into you! I misplaced that recipe you gave me for that wonderful pistachio cake of yours! Could you possibly write it down for me again?"
"Why, to be sure, Mrs. Adamson," said Gran, ever agreeable. "Jist let me hunt up a pen, and I'll write it down for ye."
The cavernous purse was opened, and in went her hand, rummaging about. A scrap of paper was found, then several pens--each found to be dried beyond usefulness-- were tried and discarded until one that wrote was found. It wrote for a moment... one box yellow...and it quit.
Mrs. Adamson, fortunately, had a good pen, so the recipe was given.

GRAN'S PISTACHIO CAKE

  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 small box instant pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 large eggs
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting  
  • Prepare an 8" round or square baking pan.
  • Mix all ingredients until batter is uniform and lump-free
  • Pour into pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until tests done.
On we went.
Gran glanced down at me.
"Ah, dear," she murmured, "Yer nose is runnin' a bit, love. Lemee git thet for ye."
She opened the purse, rummaged again, coming up with tissue after tissue, all used. At last, she found one less used than most, and applied it to my nose.
"Blow," she said, and I did. Back into the purse the tissue, now twice-used, went.
"Waste not, want not," she advised. "Thet's in th' Good Book," she added, giving her worn Bible, in its front pocket, an affectionate pat.*  
As we trundled on, Gran saw her neighbor, Mr. Sikes, in front of the hardware store, looking irritated as he searched his pockets, looking for change for the parking meter.
"Don't worry," said Gran, "I've got some change."
Alas; every coin she came up with was probably valuable, at least in Gran's estimation.
"Don't trouble yourself,Mrs. Smith," said the gentleman. "I've found a nickle. Thanks just the same."
We went on.
As I walked, I got a tickle in my throat and coughed, immediately regretting that when I beheld the purse opening, and a Sucrets, a bit of fuzz stuck to the part exposed by the torn wrapper, being pulled out.
I opened my mouth dutifully, though, and Gran popped it in.
Here was another church friend; Mrs. Flynn, my Sunday school teacher, a pained expression upon her wide, bland face.
"What's yer trouble, Agnes?" Gran inquired of her.
"Oh, I have a  headache," explained Miss Flynn. "I'm afraid it's making me feel cross."
"'Ang on," said Gran, with a sympathetic cluck. "I have some aspirins 'ere...some'airs."
She dug, handing me a sheaf of old cards and letters to hold while she searched. I looked at them, to pass the time. To my surprise, there was a birth announcement, heralding the arrival of one Jeffrey Johnson, whom, I knew, had recently come home injured from Vietnam. 
Looking further, I found some long-expired coupons, and photos of a few of Gran's cats.Two of those cats, I knew, had been resting in eternal repose beneath Gran's roses for several years.
Finally, success!
"'Ere ye go, love," said Gran. "These'll put ye right."
Mrs. Flynn sniffed at the proffered pills.
"I think they've gone by," that lady said sadly. "They smell of vinegar."
"Ahr, not t' worry," Gran assured her, "Nothin' better for an 'eadache than a bit o' vinegar applied to yer temples."
Mrs. Flynn, smiling wanly, dry swallowed the pills and thanked Gran before passing along.
Well, here we were at last!
The drugstore.
Now, if only Gran could remember what we'd come here for...


*Not from the Bible; this sentiment is credited to Thomas Hardy,circa 1872

© 2018 angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
This was lovely. I was warmed by how genuinely you described and characterized your Gran and the people around her. I think everyone can see a little bit of Gran in their own grandmothers. The good intentions that just can't be blamed, the almost authoritarian yet affectionate nurturing, and the treasuring of written sentiments are just a few of the things that reminded me of my late grandma. I'd love to hear more stories about Gran.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is the perfect companion write for your other description of your Gramma's purse! I'm old & forgetful, so I don't remember very many of the things I read here, but I do remember that story about your Gramma's purse . . . and this is every bit as memorable. This is the poster child for SHOW instead of tell . . . perfect series of encounters to show the usefulness of this purse. You really make the details sing with your vivid word choices & descriptions . . . also realistic dialect on Gramma's dialogue (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Thanks, Margie. I still miss Gran every day. She was from Thirsk, formerly known as Darrowby, the pl.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

I know the vet you're talking about . . . sorry you miss your Gran!
Really made me think of my Nan who carried everything in her bag except the kitchen sink. I have to admit, I do it myself now as well. My handbags are very large with lots of compartments. Even carry a change of underwear in mine! Love this nostalgic write and your Gran, salt of the earth.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


I probably shouldn't go into details, but Gran sounds a lot like me. My wallet is full of toddler's photos, most of whom are grown now. The wallet is still good, I swear! Yep, waste not want not. Gran is my kind of gal. I'll bet she'd appreciate me sending her some of my fast food ketchups and plastic utensils. Oh, yeah--salt and pepper packets, too. Thanks to her thoughtful frugality, she helped a whole ton of people, and on just one outing! I love this, Angel.

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Sam. Good to see you! I missed yer.
I bet Gran would have liked you, too. She.. read more
This was amazing. Great reminders of my own gran with this one. Brought back memories.

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Thanks, I guess most grans are alike in some of those little ways.
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

But our grannies are treasures. never to be forgotton so thank you for that one.
I could read a book like this all night and never sstop I love this this should be made into a book for sure
I loved it

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Thank you. If you enjoy my writing style, you might like the books I have online. They are both avai.. read more
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

Ok thanks
Thanks
This type of story fills me up with so much nostalgia and at the same time reminds me of the movie Breakfast Club where the other kids ask one of the young ladies why she has so much stuff in her puse and her answer is "ya never know when you're gonna have to jam". Purses are as important to overall personality as a smile or eyes...lol. I have learned that you never want to look into one unless you may learn something that you never wanted to know. Great story and great writing!!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Thank you; never hurts to be prepared for any possible eventuality!
Ah, so much more personal and illustrating. Maybe mention the drug store at the top somewhere, and a hint of the reason that gets forgotten at the end. Both writes are original and creative, but this one shows your rich life and experiences at play. I enjoyed this as much as the other piece A. Nice work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Glad you approve!
I think I peed my shorts, that was funny Angel, my mom did all those things to me and my siblings, She's older now and does that to my kids, and dutifully they take all she throws at them, and then they come home and tell me about the stale cookies or the expired juice, and the home remedies. This was very funny.

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it; thanks for reading!
What a great woman... I reckon we could be related angel, coz my Gran had a purse just like that, dont'cha know... A bloomin luverly tale if ever there was..... All Good Things this fine mane....... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


Neville

5 Years Ago

Are you kidding... they were all Smiths on my paternal Grandma's side... spooky eh... Neville
angel

5 Years Ago

Mine too! Spooky, indeed.Well, now. No wonder I like you so much. Perhaps we're cousins.
On m.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

Maybe.... No, no O'Donnells but a lots of Parkers and a ship load of Crabbe's..... Have a good un Cu.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 10, 2018
Last Updated on September 10, 2018

Author

angel
angel

StaffordSprings, CT



About
age 65 sex f writing since age 25, now a 65 year old who is wheelchair bound, but has lived a rich, full life and has a lot to THAY.Fans of John Irving's THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP should get that.. more..

Writing
YOUNG AT HEART YOUNG AT HEART

A Poem by angel


TIME AFTER TIIME TIME AFTER TIIME

A Story by angel



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo