Cigarette

Cigarette

A Poem by light and ashes

Just like a cigarette you burn me up and burn me out until all that's left is the nasty gritty part that nobody wants.

© 2023 light and ashes


Author's Note

light and ashes
This was written about my family.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This is an absolutely brilliant metaphor. I’m just kind of speechless honestly- this is so unique but such a perfect metaphor! Toxicity is the worst and I hope your doing better now. There’s a sort of wisdom, kindness and magic in your words- this is definitely going in my favorites!

Posted 2 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you
as a use to be smoker ... i confess .. my Da smoked Pal Mal kings .. no filter and when he crushed them out there was between an inch and an inch and a half left. when i ran out and wanted a cig, I only had to go as far as his nearest ashtray. ... and Light! all the really good stuff was in that last inch or so. ;))))))))
But your one liner contains such a heart rending story .. being used in an unbalanced relationship will most assuredly suck us dry .. only to be discarded when nothing is left .. the journey back from something like that not easy at all ... i fear some never do recover .. it robs our self esteem .. our drive ... our dreams ... heavy hitting .. and just one line and metaphor .. well done says i! i can feel you.
E.

Posted 2 Years Ago


I understand the pain and depths of toxicity...one must survive and survive as they deem fit...sometimes such emotive lines must be purged in order to rise once more :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your wise words, Ruth. I agree. I am dealing with that now.
Ruth

2 Years Ago

Most welcome...the thing to remember is self worth, self love and self respect, all three will keep .. read more
light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you.
The dynamics of a family can be so diverse. It's the foundation we build from, that makes us who we are. I hope love and light will find its way to you, and be the strength you need to carry on.

Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Yes, but what if that foundation is really messed up and toxic?......
We can build our own fo.. read more
A powerful piece of brevity which leaves an after taste. Love gone sour. Well done light and ashes.

Chris



Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you.
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

So sad to think this is how you feel about family. I can't imagine how painful that must be:(
a powerful, honest statement in one line; says so much; it's much deeper than what's written I'm sure;e; So so sorry about your feeling for your family; i have some too... it's hard to say it though; I would have to write a treatise. Well done
Best, B

Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you, I don't think most people understand what it is like to have a family full of toxic peopl.. read more
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

I totally understand! You’re very welcome and thanks for being so honest.
Best
Betty
I like that you use one line that is very descriptive. Good use of simile. I hope things some day get better with your family. It is OK to fee that way.

Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you, for your kindness. I know it is ok to feel that way. It isn't my fault. It is their fault.. read more
First I must say that I really like the honesty of your poem...you know the truth of it...even in the way you let it out...like a unburned. It is amazing how deep down we can go when we let people drive us to their level. Since you said it is about family, don't let it get to you, fly above it and find your peace in such way that outside matters cannot affect you because you have learned how to deal with it without getting attached to it by understanding that it is not really about you, it is about them. Stay strong dear God is in you!!!

Hugs
Sil
:-)

Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you, sweet soul, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, that easier said then done.
Great simile. I can feel the emotion in this. Lydi**

Posted 2 Years Ago


Woah . is all i can say.....

Posted 2 Years Ago


light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you..

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 10, 2021
Last Updated on April 25, 2023


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..