Essay On Knowlege

Essay On Knowlege

A Story by angelinmypocket
"

Learning is something we do all our lives, whether from experience or books

"

 

To me, common sense is the key to learning. How's this for knowledge?
I had to look up The definition of "essay" before I could write.
        
  "An essay is a piece of writing, usually from an author's
Point of view. Essays are non fictional but often fictional
But often subjective; while expository, they can also
Include narrative. Essays can be literary criticism,
Political manifestos, learned arguments, observations
 Of daily life, recollections and reflections of the author."
           This is a direct quote from the Babylon Encyclopedia.
 
"Observations Of daily life, recollections and reflections of the author."
 
         Case in point, what I learned from daily life and reflections thereof which is to reflect on life experience from learning to actually having the experience on my own. I will set aside the fact that I also learned a lot from reading, not just books, but everything.
         
         An incident that took place with my aunt when I was still quite young taught me that hard work has it's own rewards. I always hated doing dishes and she knew this. So one day she told me if I would do the dishes, I would get a reward. Well, you know, I took her literally.
So I did the dishes complete with drying and putting away. A little while later I asked her about My reward. She just smiled at me and said, "Your reward is a stack of clean dishes."
            That lesson proved valuable to me in the way I worked for the public. I nearly always went above and beyond the call of duty. At one time, I was a CNA working the graveyard shift, ten at night till six in the morning. And you can think what you like about night shift, it was always the hardest in my opinion, but I'm sure every shift thought the same thing. But in spite of that, I was the only Employ on the night shift who got elected employee of the month.
          That's just one example. There are many more.
 
        As for what I have learned from reading, I learned that reading is not just being able to spell and pronounce properly, it's also comprehension. Knowing what a word means And how it fits into the overall meaning. I never got a formal education, never graduated high school. Very late in life, I decided to try for a GED.  I was fortunate enough for someone to give me a book on passing the GED. I studied that book from front to back and learned a little of everything from the importance of the language arts to mathematics and beyond. I took the predictor tests and passed in the ninety percent range, higher than anyone else in the class. When asked how, I simply answered "Life." From that time on, I have had a voracious hunger for learning, and still do. I've also learned if you don't practice what you've learned, you will forget. As for what I've learned about spelling, please ignore any mispelled words. I never claimed to be a genius!
          The one thing I have learned above all else is that I am still learning. 
 

© 2009 angelinmypocket


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very interesting, now I LEARNED a little more about my friend Liz. We have a few common learning tips. I also worked the graveyard shift, for 20 years, at first 11 to 7 then the last 10 years 7 to 7 yes 12 hours, I became a supervisor after working as a machine operator for a 1 year then shift manager. My English was poor at the beginning, I learn on my own from books (I Love to read) to speak, read and write English, I'm still learning. I learn how to paint (from books) I'm always learning, I don't mind taking something apart and start over again, in fact I love it. Thank you my dear friend for sharing your "essay" with us you open a door to my mind. I have so much to learn.
Love......Annie

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Congratulations for winning the essay-on-knowledge contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Loved this Liz. I too can relate to what you said in parts. Hard work has its
own rewards as your wise Aunt knew and passed it on to you. We never stop
learning.....to do so would be closing our minds to the wonders of this beautiful
world.

The beauty about "the university of life" sometimes give you the edge over a "university
education" in my opinion! Thank you for your very worthy submission to my contest! L&L ~ Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yes, this is not only an essay but a very good one!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Nice essay, Angel. Logical and personal as well. There is much truth in the value of a life in search of knowledge. 'Use it or lose it' at its most basic has a strong validity to it. Well said.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Lovely! And I think that we learn every day with the little things all around (some times we will not even notice we are learning at that time but only latter the "little thing" comes to our mind and we say: "oh! that was a BIG lesson!" (like the example about your aunt)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I have to add that you are a great teacher, in common sense and friendship. God Bless you
Hugs&gros bisous
Annie

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting, now I LEARNED a little more about my friend Liz. We have a few common learning tips. I also worked the graveyard shift, for 20 years, at first 11 to 7 then the last 10 years 7 to 7 yes 12 hours, I became a supervisor after working as a machine operator for a 1 year then shift manager. My English was poor at the beginning, I learn on my own from books (I Love to read) to speak, read and write English, I'm still learning. I learn how to paint (from books) I'm always learning, I don't mind taking something apart and start over again, in fact I love it. Thank you my dear friend for sharing your "essay" with us you open a door to my mind. I have so much to learn.
Love......Annie

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful essay on the lessons of life. Your Aunt astutely started you out with the first lesson. It really looks like you were a very apt learner. You are a very knowledgeable woman. I have saw the things you do on this site and also visited the web page you are creating. I could not do any of those things. I envy your technical know how on these matters. As for a GED. That is marvelous! You did not let life hold you back on something that you wanted to pursue. I agree with you, "if you don't use it, you lose it." You can tell that you have a ravenous appetite for learning and reading. You write lovely poetry. I salute you for being a CNA, a very hard, underpaid job. I am sure many people saw you as their angel of mercy during the night.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2009
Last Updated on July 10, 2009

Author

angelinmypocket
angelinmypocket

Whitewright, TX



About
Albert's Poetry Cafe http://www.writerscafe.org/groups/Albert%27s-Poetry-Cafe-%28correct-link%29/2736/ Albert's Poetry Cafe ~ 'BE MY VALENTINE!" (Keeping the Dream Alive!) with Helena February 1.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..