SAILING WITH EARDROP FISH

SAILING WITH EARDROP FISH

A Story by mark slade

      We built the boat, Archie and I, out of  one thousand tiny Eardrop fish. Each one we called to the shore with Archie's Uncle Gilbert's giant conch shell. The queen of the Ocean appeared,asking what we would do with the fish. Achie told her of the splendid boat we would build and sail the ocean of a million keys. She made us promise to never harm the fish intentionally. We agreed, and she held her ringed fingers in the air so the glimmer from the sun could hypnotize the Eardrop fish. She told us lead the fish where we wanted them to be placed by whistling happy tunes. Afterwards, my lips were sore and the happy tunes leveled off in favor of mindless noise. no matter, as long as our intentions were happy, they obeyed.

     We sailed the Ocean of keys to many far away places. All the adventures engulfed in sporadic haze.

      I awoke, looked at the clock. It read 3:25 A.M. I sat up in my bed, took a sip from a glass of water. I felt something hard jabbing me in hip. i reached into my pajama pocket and pulled out a golden skeleton key, shimmering in the moonlight.

© 2011 mark slade


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Pyjama pockets are usually for one's silk handkerchief, in case one meets a lady in the night.
A well-written story. I felt that the ending . . . and then I woke up . . . let it down a bit. Please leave me, the reader a little leeway to wonder wtf.
ATB
alex.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for inviting me to read this piece. Putting aside the fact that you taxed my poor old eyes with this font, I'd say the premise of this piece is beyond interesting. wtf is an eardrop fish, you know? It just makes you sit back and try to picture it, so well-done on that front. I love that pajama manufacturers felt the need to include pockets into their design...

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is different from what you normally write - but pleasantly so. It left a very warm feeling deep down in my soul.
Please change the font though. It may be just me but it was very difficult to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nicely penned and so full of fantastic possibilities.

Thank you for submitting to Surreal-zine!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Mark, your imagination is what every land-locked sailor dreams of. Keep it up, brother, we'd all dry up and blow away without you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


There is a delicate sweetness behind each word that gives me a delightful taste of your muse. This is rich most certainly and exotic flavored.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2011
Last Updated on September 23, 2011
Tags: FANTASY, SHORT STORY, SURREALISM

Author

mark slade
mark slade

williamsburg, VA



About
a writer of horror and dark fantasy http://bloodydreadful.blogspot.com/ more..

Writing
THE HIND THE HIND

A Story by mark slade



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..