Counter Clock-wise

Counter Clock-wise

A Story by animamundix3
"

For a contest, if I could change one thing...

"

 

                Three a.m. and my phone is blaring in my ear, I reminded myself to change my ring tone in the morning. I bury my head in my pillow, attempting to drown it out. After a split second of silence, the phone rings as the person on the other end makes a second call. I looked at the caller I.D.: Shelby. I groaned aloud, flipping over onto my back and opening my cell phone.

            “What?” I said, and sat up instantly as I heard sobbing. Her unsteady breath was unsettling, and I braced myself for the worst. “What’s the matter?

            “I-I…I thr-rew up. It bled. I’ve been doing it every day. I c-can’t stop shaking.”

            “Call 9-1-1, right now.”

            “I can’t. I can’t do it. I won’t gain weight.”

            “You need to, when was the last time you ate?”

            It went on like this for a half hour. I went back and forth with her. When I told her that she needed help immediately, she just told me that she couldn’t. She even laughed.

            “Either you call 9-1-1 or I will.”

            She hung up.

            My hands shook as I dialed 9-1-1, tears welling up in my eyes as I wished that someone would pick up. Ring. Ring. Ring.

            The woman asked me what my emergency was.

            “My friend. She needs help. She threw up blood, she did it purposely. Please, go get her.” My voice got louder as I kept talking. “Please, she lives on Pine Avenue. Do you think she’ll live? She’s anorexic. I…”

            “Honey, don’t worry. We’re going to help your friend. What is her name?”

            “Shelby.”

            “Okay, sweetie. Now I need a bit of information from you…” She asked me for my name, phone number…the basics.

            “Please call me when you know anything.”

            “Of course. The ambulance just arrived at her house now. She’ll be going to South Side hospital. They just got her into the ambulance. Her heart rate is a bit slow, but we think that we got her in time. Calm down honey, okay? Someone will call you when we have more details.”

            “Thank you so much.”

            “Your friend is in my prayers.” she said. “Try to stay calm. Good night.” Click.

            I came back from my day dream and tugged at my black dress. I looked up at the casket, wishing I had looked to see that it was her that night. I dug my nails into the palm of my hand as I thought of the argument the night before she died. It seemed so insignificant then…Too late now.

            I kneeled down in front of the casket, putting my hands together in prayer. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her face, make-up caked on to give her pale skin some color. The multiple layers of clothing didn’t cover her ribs, the hip bones that protruded. It hurt to look at her, she was nothing but skin and bones. Tears started to streak down my face as I wished that I could have seen it before she truly was only skin and bones. Where had I been?

            “I’ll meet you there.” I said to her, and walked out of the funeral home.

© 2009 animamundix3


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can feel the emotion, and it was well written. This piece would serve as a good read for many people, they could learn a thing or two from it. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 12, 2009