Defeat

Defeat

A Poem by Annalisa

 Desperation-

     searching blindly

     in a desert of doubt, 

     loosing cohesiveness

     as my body goes too long without.

 

Too long without water

     Too long without life

          Too long without inspiration

 

Desolation-

     it's been so long 

     since I've been able to think.

     My head is an ugly place,

     unfit to walk through late at night,  

     and yet I find myself trapped.

 

Too long surrounded by doubt

     Too long scared that I've lost myself

          Too lost to find my way back out.

 

Defeat-

     This is supposed

     to be what I'm good at,

     what gives me joy, 

     and keeps me sane.

 

Instead I haven't written anything in months,

     and each day the voices get meaner and my spirits weaker

          until I'm convinced that it's a lost cause...just like me. 

© 2008 Annalisa


Author's Note

Annalisa
...I haven't written anything in so long that I became convinced that if I didn't write something today and post it that I wouldn't write again for months and might not ever post anything again... but it's pretty self explanatory... so what do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I know how feel because this is exactly how I felt (and still kind of feel). I feel as though inspiration and determination has caused me to loss hope in my book The Silverlight Chronicles : Eye of A Faerie Tale. So I'm taking a temporary break from it. But when I wrote about how I felt about not writing a lot, two of my friends gave me advice. Go to http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Elizabeth_Rose/276772/ (it's kind of a few weeks old now...) and read the advice. It'll help. :]

-Nicole

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this while it covents its own dark sad tone to it.

I can't help but agree to what this says. Defeat is something that I'm known to happen to myself aswel. I cant remember the last time I had a..."victory"

But, a lost cause?
You?
I don't think so.

Everyone has some reason for exsisting.
We just don't know what it is yet.
But one day, we'll figure it out.

Again, another great read of another great writing -smiles-
-hugs-

This is just my opinion though.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think all artists have felt this way at one time. I see inspiration like an ocean sometimes tide in sometimes tide out...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That's incredibly open and self-dissecting. Can very much relate to that feeling.. head rattling to the point where body is affected. Insomnia, confusion, frustration and doubt. It's horrible but somehow quite right.. that is, I often think moments like this indicate a real creative flow.. the ability to objectify mind and to question everything inside. Important part of the write (for me, I should say) is, "this is supposed to be.." I often wonder where we get these ideas from.. ideas of definition and meaning; significance. Sure enough we do.. but then sometimes the rug gets pulled.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can relate..although I can't seem to write anything because I feel great right now. I dunno, guess I'm just weird like that.

But you have definitely proven here that you ARE a talented writer. Good job.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a beautiful, dark poem that proves -even when you haven't written anything in a while- you can still whip out something amazing! I envy that talent. (: I really loved the lines, "My head is an ugly place, / unfit to walk through late at night, / and yet I find myself trapped." Beautiful comparison. Great job!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think I know where your head is at. Been there. I could relate to this write well. We get lost in an abyss of thoughts that nothing comes out. Your flow is free and the words flow. If you cease to write more it would be a lost. So write on.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hell Yeah!!!! That was great. I loved the lines

My head is an ugly place,

unfit to walk through late at night

One of those lines I wish I had wrote myself. I always love to read your words as I find them so perfectly written and thought provoking within myself. This is going into my favorites.


Great Job!!!!!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You found inspiration on your writers block, and came up with a great piece :)

Look inside you, you have so much wisdom waiting to be imparted, bless everyone here with your insights, you will be surprised at your potential.

You have always been a wonderful writer, and will always be. Light up the room

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, I think everyone can relate in a way to this poem, it's very good... You're not a lost cause don't ever think that... just sometimes our muse's just go on a break... I know mine has in a way... Well actually all three of mine are fighting and i'm about ready to snap... This is well done and of course it's amazing... Hopefully you will get out of the funk.... To not be able to write is to not be able to breath... The air is there yet some times our lungs refuse to work... don't give up!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I too have felt the same pain and worries. This was a great form of expression and I loved the part about the mind not being a safe place to walk through at night. I hope you regain some of your inspiration and your mind clears.

Brette


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

688 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 7, 2008
Last Updated on October 29, 2008

Author

Annalisa
Annalisa

Washington DC



About
Hey ya'll. Honestly Bios always kinda creep me out, I mean what do you say to people that you've never met? Or even if you do know them how do you describe yourself in anything other that "I'm Annalis.. more..

Writing
Anxiety Anxiety

A Poem by Annalisa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..