Coffee and Mormon Tea

Coffee and Mormon Tea

A Story by annapearlsattic
"

Raised as a Mormon by a non-mormon mom.

"






My mother was a devoted coffee drinker.  She woke every morning at 4:30 a.m.  She would make her coffee, pour it into a favorite teacup, and add a scant teaspoon of sugar to sweeten the drink.  Her habit was to sit at the tablecloth covered kitchen table and sip on the coffee as if it were the finest cup of tea in England.  She would cross her left leg over her right leg and bounce her foot as if she was counting the moments of peace she was experiencing.

I was always interested in my mothers coffee habit.  We, as children, were never allowed to taste it.  She explained that coffee was an adult drink and was not suitable for children. If, on a rare occasion, we woke early enough to join her, Mother would make us a drink she called "Mormon Tea".  It was really warm milk with a drop of vanilla and sugar as a sweetener.  She would often have a cookie or some other treat to dip into the sweet nectar. On these occasions, we were made to feel like we were a very special child in her life.

My mother's daughter has grown into a grown woman.  That grown woman occasionally enjoys a nice cup of coffee with a drop of cream and pinch of artificial sweetener.  I do not ever rise at 4:30 a.m. I do not sip coffee from a teacup or bounce my crossed leg in the fashion of my mother.  Many of the habits that made her who she was have gone with her to eternal glory.  One thing she did leave with me is the realization that she had been training me to be an adult throughout my childhood.  She did it with purpose.  She did it with love.  She did it with a cup of coffee, sipped out of a teacup like it was the finest tea in England.



All rights reserved

Copyright by AnnaPearlsAttic,LLC unpublished works 2016

annapearlsattic@yahoo.com

annapearlsattic.BlogSpot.com


Written By Sherone Taylor

© 2016 annapearlsattic


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice! I enjoyed reading about your memories.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
1 Review
Added on June 25, 2012
Last Updated on June 3, 2016
Tags: mormon, coffee, tea