UNTITLED- it isn't about only one, its about everyone and everything.

UNTITLED- it isn't about only one, its about everyone and everything.

A Story by anurag
"

this story has NO CHARACTER NAMES because i hate being biased except for one, Arjun coz i love that name. Its related to problems in the society and about people i have seen. NOT A DOCUMEnTARY.

"

The Lady. The No man. The Orphan. The Guy.

 

In a well air-circulated cabin, Arjun is doing some paper work. After few moments, he is disturbed by a man who seems to be and well dressed for a tycoon.

 

“Just what the hell do you think you are doing?” questions the tycoon.

 

“I can explain” answers Arjun.

 

“You need not explain anything, I know what happened”

 

“Then you must also know what he did.”

 

“He was just having some fun”

 

“Fun? Messing up a girl’s life…you call that fun?” exclaims Arjun.

 

“Look, it is consensual. She went out with him, he didn’t force her and when it came to fun, she backed out. It’s her fault.”

 

“It isn’t consensual, she didn’t ask for it. It doesn’t work that way!!! You can’t let go of the fact that your son and his friends are in it and one of them helped your son mask his IP address.” Arjun with sheer disgust and abhorrence on his face “Did you see the video he uploaded?”

 

“Yes, I saw it. It’s all Hormones and they are stoned, so there are drugs too… You can’t blame him for that.” After staring at Arjun and studying his adamancy about his son and the case “look you are not seriously supporting that girl, are you?”

 

“You would be the first foolish tycoon to imagine that I wouldn’t support the girl” replies Arjun. For which the tycoon chuckles “let me impart some wisdom my friend”, to which Arjun snaps, “Don’t call me your friend, I am not your friend”

 

“Whatever… see women are women.” Arjun watches the tycoon as he walks around the desk towards him “They are supposed to obey men; they should surrender themselves to us. We rule the world, the Men rule the world.” Makes a fist and raises the hand to show how proud he is of Men “They should operate gas stoves, feed the babies, not operate computers if they do then what are we for?; you can’t let my son suffer for a girl. Come on Arjun!” the tycoon puts his hands on the Arjun’s arms and grabs them firm “I know you are a smart man, let’s make a deal” Arjun pushes the tycoons hands off him and folds his hands and before Arjun accepts the offer to make a deal, the tycoon proposes the deal. The tycoon changes his convincing tone to a serious tone steps a little close to Arjun “Listen to me very careful Arjun, this is how it’s going to work, you will withdraw everything you held against my son and his friends and in return you will get everything you ask, anything”

 

Arjun finding this interesting for his personal gain and satisfaction, shaking his head, he accepts the deal “Fine… we shall make a deal then” Arjun watches as the tycoon walks back around the desk to his earlier position, Arjun unfolds his hands and placing them on the desk, forming pyramids with his fingers. The tycoon changes from a warning tone to an amicable tone, opens his arms in excitement to offer anything

 

Arjun asks for “Awesome… what do you want? Car, bungalow, money…you name it”

 

“Anything?”

 

“You name it” replies still excited tycoon unaware of the tycoon might ask.


 

“Alright, I want your son and his friends to be accused and punished of the crime they committed. Can you get that for me?” Arjun smirks. The tycoon slams both his hands on the table in reply of Arjun making a fool out of him, leaning towards Arjun, his tone getting more serious than ever “Goddamn it Arjun!!!! Listen to me” raising his finger, Arjun still indifferent “you will withdraw the case against them. Make your decision wisely”

 

“ I have made my decision and my answer is a firm No and I stand by it” leans back, standing straight, Arjun stands firm on his answer “as long as I keep letting rich scums like you and your son get away with this, a thousand more rise. You scums think that you have money and you can do whatever you wish. Well you can’t, this will stop. First I will start with your son and his friends. I will drag them to the courts, mock them in the public and show them how kind his father is.”

 

“Think wisely Arjun, normally I don’t give second chances!”

 

Arjun simply folds his hands, showing how indifferent he can be to the Tycoon’s feelings and manages to piss him off, his face grows red, his rage out of control. The tycoon storms out all pumped with anger to the core. Arjun watches as him storms out, slowly descends to sit in his chair after the hydraulic device closes the door after the tycoon leaves.

 

(fade to black)

 

 

 

Few weeks later:

 

The time is around 9-10:30. It looks like a college campus. The roads are empty, might be a little early for the college to start. We observe two persons walking in opposite directions on opposite sides of the road; one of them appears to be a student. The person on the right side of the road crosses the road and approaches the student; say an Enquirer approaches the student.

 

“Excuse me?” says the Enquirer to the student.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Are you a student of this college?”

 

“Yes…why?”

 

“I need to ask you some questions”

 

“About what”

 

“Let’s just say it’s about a person and I need some general information”

 

“But I don’t know you, how can I trust you?”

 

“You will eventually”

 

Few minutes passes by, we are in pillion seat of a biker, who turns into a lane, where the Enquirer and the student appears to be still in conversation. The biker rides down the road.

 

“Yeah, you better get to him. Just instigate him and you will get more than what you wished for” suggests the student, nodding his head the Enquirer jots down the information in a paper. The Enquirer must have


 

provided all the basic details the student needs to make him cooperate with the Enquirer. We can observe the biker riding down the road in the background.

 

“Thank You” says the Enquirer, folding the paper

 

“Anytime” the student walks in the direction he was walking in, the Enquirer stands in the position, contemplating, checking and going over things again. As the Enquirer stands where he is, we can see that the biker starts to come towards him, he pulls over near Enquirer, there must be some kind acquaintance between them.

 

“We tagged them” informs the biker.

 

“Tag this one too” the Enquirer gives the paper containing the name of a student. “What about the fourth one?” the biker folds the paper and shoves it in his pocket.

 

“Our people are on their way to get the fourth one…are they sure about this? Are they sure that they don’t know each other?”

 

“I assure you, they don’t”

 

“hope this works”

 

“It will. Now let us get back to work. I have to do a background checkup” the biker leaves in the direction he came in and the Enquirer leaves in the opposite direction.

 

(fade to black)

 

 

 

Few days later:

 

The last one to be locked up in a room with the rest of the people is the No man. It seems like the No man is regaining consciousness, he slowly opens his eyes and finds 3 other people, a girl and two guys standing in a C around his head, staring at him. One of the guys, say the Orphan asks, “Who are you supposed to be? I am tired of watching people coming in one after the other. Are you the last one or are there anybody else?” We don’t know much about the Orphan or as a matter of fact we don’t know about the any of them. Who are they? Where are they from? Why were they brought, oh wait…were they brought?

 

Or were they… kidnapped? What the f**k is going on in there? All the Who and Why questions are unanswerable. They are not related by blood or by friendship or by work or in any other manner a sane person would find.

 

After regaining consciousness, the No man sits straight, takes a good look at the three and tries to take in his surroundings, his eyes begin to scan his surroundings, trying his best to approximate the area, “Where am I?”

 

The Orphan replies with sarcasm “in Disney land”

 

The Lady, apparently the only woman in the room, snaps at the Orphan “Stop it already” turns back to the No man “We are locked in a room for hours along with his senseless sarcasm.” Gives a cold look to the Orphan, she kneels near him, lays her hand on his shoulder, “Don’t worry you will get used to him as we did. How are you feeling?”

 

“I am fine…how long have you people been here?”

 

The Lady sitting in front of him, “10 hours”

 

“7 hours”, says the Orphan still standing where he was before.

 

No man stares at the third person in the room, the Guy in hope for an answer standing not too far but near to the Orphan, waits for his answer but he walks away little farther from the group and leans against the wall. Apparently the Guy seems not to be in a talking mood and we can see grim written all over his face as usual we don’t know why.

 

“He hasn’t spoken a word since we met”

 

The Orphan to No man,“I think he is deaf and dumb”, starts making signs, signs which are nowhere close to the standard sign language.

 

The Lady snaps “Stop making fun of him will you?” The Orphan chuckles and sits on a step.

 

“So where were you guys when you were kidnapped?” NO man opens the question to all.

 

“Kidnapped?” reacts the Orphan.

 

“What else it might be?”

 

“Morning may be. These guys came after I came” said the Lady, waving her finger at the other two.

 

(Fade to black)

 

Assuming the entire where am I? Freaking out like maniacs, banging the doors, screaming ‘Open the doors’, cursing the people responsible is done in the 10 hours gap before the entry of the No man.

 

A few moments later, when the No man stands up after a long time and takes a few steps forward, the Lady after contemplating a while states, theoretically “The strange thing is that whoever brought us here doesn’t want us to die or harm us.” The No man turns towards the Lady, looking at her curiously.

 

“How do you figure?” asks the Orphan.

 

Turning towards the Orphan, the Lady says “well they provided us food and drinks right?”

 

“So?”

 

“Well if they wanted to harm us, they wouldn’t look after us right?” turns to sit straight “I wonder what they want”

 

“Not your brain for sure” says the Orphan sarcastically.

 

The Lady turns back seriously “What did you say?” slowly stands up staring towards the Orphan “Not my brain? What the hell do you mean by not my brain?”

 

“Don’t you understand English?”

 

“So I am the dumb one and you are the intelligent one in this room?”

 

“Of course I am the intelligent one. I am a computer science student.”

 

The Lady throws her head back laughs, a fake one, a sarcastic one “So that makes you the intelligent one? I saw people with no degree and 100 times better than you.” The No man steps forwards raising his hand to signal stop “Stop it” audible but no too demanding to attract the attention.

 

“It’s funny right? We don’t know each other and we are stuck in this room. We are complete strangers and you might be a criminal…”

 

The Orphan raising his hand in defense interrupts the Lady “Woah! Woah! You calling us criminals?”

 

“I don’t know” shrugs the Lady.

 

“You are just speculating?”

 

“Come on!! We are just strangers, who knows what you did in your past, you might be a rapist; *points towards the NO man* he might be a serial killer”

 

The Orphan exclaims “RAPIST?.... you are still a virgin right?”

 

“F**k you!” curses the Lady.

 

“Just because a male gang rapes a woman doesn’t mean the all the men are rapists”

 

“Well…” the Lady is about to make her next argument just then a loud, authoritative voice echoes in the room “CUT IT OUT!” the No man yells “Stop behaving like f*****g kids!”

 

“Who the hell are you calling kids?” the Orphan protests.

 

“I am calling you and her.”

 

“What the hell are you calling me for? He is the one who started it.” Reacts the Lady her tone completely changed, soft and casual, from the tone she used against the Orphan.

 

“And you are continuing it!” replies the No man to the Lady. She folds her hands, rolls her eyes and calms down. “And you! *turns towards the Orphan* stop messing with everyone”

 

“Oh yeah? What are you going to do? Hit me?” reacts the Orphan.

 

“Sorry I don’t hit woman”

 

“What did you say?” the Orphan, starts to close in on the No man. No man intends to put up a fight retaliates, starts walking towards the Orphan. Just when they are ready to throw their punches, the Lady interferes, stops both of them nudging them on their chests “Look we don’t know what they want and they are not going to let us out till they get what they want. So stop it you two!!! You are not helping get us out of here.” The No man pushes away the Lady’s hand and storms away to a place few feet away from the Guy, leans against the wall, contemplating, on the other hand, the Orphan being calm and composed walks to a place closer to the Guy, sits hopelessly on a step, few inches away from the Guy.

 

The Lady leans against the wall and drags herself down to sit and as usual among the quarrelling the Guy stands quiet and indifferent.

 

(Fade to black)

 

 

 

Few moments later, the Guy stares at his wrist which apparently seems like a wound, groans and hisses as he grazes it softly. The No man comes out of his contemplation, as he raises his head, he happens to see the Guy in pain.

 

“What happened? Are you ok?” stands straight and takes a few steps towards the Guy with some concern.

 

The Guy moves his lips, hardly making any sound “I am ok, thanks” tries his best not to attract the No man even more but this attracts the Orphan’s attention, unable to control his over enthusiasm, walks up to the Guy. As soon as the No man sees the Orphan he stops walking towards the Guy.

 

“What happened?” the Orphan mocks at the Guy. The Guy stays quiet not willing to explain especially to the man who talks too much about what happened or what are the that situations lead to that wound or cut, covers his wound folding his hands tighter than before tries to go back to his world. The Orphan keeps on picking “It seems like a cut right at the place where you can feel the pulse, seems odd doesn’t it?”

 

“Come on now enough of it” says the No man to the Orphan. The Orphan holds off the No man by raising his hand, gesturing to wait.

 

The Lady rolls her eyes, sighs and just ignores, the Orphan keeps on poking him, “Now why would someone get hurt right at that spot….hhmmm… let me think…” the Guy endures the Orphan poking him

 

“…unless it’s a suicide attempt”, other 2 shocked turn towards the Guy. Is he joking or is it true? If he is joking he is the meanest person one would have ever seen but on the other hand what if it’s true.

 

For the first time the Guy talks wetting his dried lips “It’s nothing, leave me alone” staring away from the Orphan.

 

The Orphan replies with sarcasm “At last he speaks, Praise the Lord and His miracles.”

 

“Get lost!” counters the Guy.

 

“It’s a suicide, isn’t it?” the Orphan bends a little and tries to look in the Guy’s eyes. After hearing the word suicide and no response from the Guy, both the No man and the Lady exclaim in shock, start walking towards the Guy. From the point of the Guy, they both start irritating him, enquiring about his health, the Guy tries his best to answer them and keep them quiet.

 

“What happened? Why did you do such a thing?” asks the No man.

 

“Nothing happened. It’s a just a wound I fell from a bike” lies the Guy. The Orphan smirks “fell from a bike.” The Guy gives him a cold look.

 

“Why did you do such a thing? How are you now?” enquires the Lady.

 

“I didn’t do anything. I am fine. Leave me alone.” the Guy steps back but the rest steps forward towards him still enquiring him. Few more questions and the Guy snaps. A ridiculous discussion started on what appears like a wound on the Guy’s hand.

 

“Then what is it?” asks the No man.

 

“I told you it’s a suicide attempt” the Orphan replies, the Guy gives him a cold look again.

 

“Let him answer the question” the Lady says “you can’t just say it’s a suicide attempt” looking at the Orphan “may be really fell off a bike” now looking at the No man.

 

“But isn’t the spot too peculiar for a bike accident” replies the No man. Meanwhile the Guy’s patience begins to run out, all this is because of them discussing about the matters they shouldn’t be discussing and on top of that judging.

 

The Orphan interrupts “I really don’t see the point of this discussion” both the Lady and the No man now looking at the Orphan for reasonable explanation “he attempted suicide. He is totally lying about the bike accident. Come on how many bike accidents have you seen with wounds on that spot where you can feel a man’s pulse?” now both the No man and the Lady staring at the Guy for an answer but he doesn’t provide one instead he lowers his gaze staring at the floor, not in disgrace but not interested in answering them in his personal matters.

 

“Is it true?” asks the Lady. Finally the Guy’s patience runs out leading into a violent burst out.

 

“JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!” bursts out the Guy, turns and start walking away from the group.

 

“We were just concerned about you” the Lady says.

 

 

 

“Concern?! If people really showed concern I wouldn’t be here in this state or in this room with you losers.” Losers? The Orphan says within himself. The Guy pulls up his sleeve and shows a few more cuts and band aids “Yes I attempted suicide, so what?” The perfect time for the Orphan to enter the disturbing conversation or so he thinks.

 

“Losers? Who are you calling losers?” the Orphan protests to the earlier comment made by the Guy “the only loser and coward in this room is YOU. Only cowards commit suicides.” Extremely offended by the comment the Orphan made, unlike the rash and child like the Orphan or the No man to throw punches, our Guy here turns to be sensitive and soft.

 

“Coward? You are calling me coward?” the Guy manages a smile while his eyes began to fill up “Do you know what it feels like to lose someone you love the most?” listening this the Lady with sympathy puts her hand on his shoulder trying to calm him down, the rest of the two guys staring to hear the end of the story. The Guy steps in towards the Orphan, points his finger to the Orphan “You are calling me a coward but you have no idea what it takes to attempt a suicide.”

 

“What was the reason?” the No man asks the Guy.

 

“Come on! Don’t make him go through that tragedy by explaining the incident again” the Lady, takes her hand off and tries her best to control the situation.

 

“Calm down… stop making a big deal out of it, maybe he failed in an exam or perhaps a love failure. People now-a-days commit suicide for silly reasons, take a look at him for an example.” the Orphan jerks his head pointing to the Guy.

 

“Would you please for a moment shut the hell up?” she yells at him. The Orphan sighs and rolls his eyes, turning his head away.

 

“You want the reason? Here listen to it then” the Guy looks at the No man. Before the starts to explain he gets interrupted by the Lady.

 

“No, you don’t need to explain it. You need not go through that misery again.” the Lady tries to stop him placing her hand on his shoulder but it is in vain.

 

The Guy pushes her hand away “It’s alright. I am telling this because I want to prove that all the suicides’ are not cowards or losers” gives a cold look to the Orphan “I want to show that what it takes to commit suicide… this happened a few weeks ago… I was late home from college….”

 

 

 

Few weeks ago:

 

It’s almost past seven; he takes the stairs instead of the elevator.

 

“It’s almost past seven; we agreed to catch a late night movie. The show was at 11:00 pm, so she said that she will be home between 9 pm to 9:30 pm. I wanted to be ready by the time she comes. I needed to make haste so I took the stairs even though the elevator is unoccupied.”

 

By the time he reached his floor, the elevator just passes his floor to the ground floor he could barely see the man. Anyways, he ignores and goes to his apartment.

 

“When I reached my floor and went to my apartment, the weird thing is that the door is unlocked and she told she will come between 9 to 9:30 pm. We have our own copy of the key, only two. Anyways I went inside.”

 

 

He enters his apartment, he doesn’t find his sister in the hall, and kitchen and finally he walks into the bedroom.

 

“Everything was messed up. I searched the whole house; I searched the kitchen, the hall, the bedroom, balcony everywhere. I tried her mobile, it was switched off and I tried everything else but no use. I was really scared, I started freaking out, I am drenched in my own sweat. Heart rate increasing exponentially, I was about to faint, vision began to blur but then everything cleared away when I got a phone call from an unknown number. I was afraid to pick it up but I had to, so I did. He told me that she was admitted in the hospital and I need to rush. Without a second thought

 

I did.”

 

 

 

Present:

 

All four sat down.

 

“…and that’s it. I rushed to the hospital by then it was too late. Our parents died when I was 5 years old. She was the only one left for me, she was there for me all the time, and I used to share everything with her. Now who do I have to do all those things? I was alone, I am alone. I was depressed. I didn’t go to the college, didn’t answer the calls from my relatives or from my friends. I didn’t have anything for days, even though I was starving, her demise overwhelmed all those. So finally I decided to end myself and the agony then I cut my wrist to kill myself but it was too late, must be a coincidence or my bad luck, one of my cousins broke the door and came in to check on me and there I was lying on the floor bleeding, if I had done it faster I would be with her.” he wipes off his tears

 

“What about the man?” questions the No man.

 

“What about him?”

 

“Don’t you think the man has something to do with this?”

 

“I don’t know, I filed a complaint anyway but it’s been weeks and no result”

 

“Oh don’t worry they will find him.”

 

“What makes you so sure about them?”

 

“Well, they are there to serve justice”

 

“Justice? What if police are one of the sources of injustice?”

 

“Injustice?”

 

“Yeah, don’t you remember? A few weeks back, the police officer who was in charge of my sisters case was caught offering bribes to the judges and politicians because his wife was running a brothel and his son committed a rape.”

 

“Wha…”

 

The Lady interrupts the No man and changes the subject “So you think suicide was the answer to your depression?”

 

“I don’t know I just can’t bear the pain” answers the Guy.

 

 

 

“Then don’t bear it. You think your sister wants you to take your own life? She must have dreamt a great a future for you. You want your sister dreams to be shattered? Do you know what it takes for a girl to raise a brother? As a working woman I can say that it takes guts and strength to work and then raise a brother like your sister did. Do you want to throw that all away? She wouldn’t have gone through all this if she knew you were going to kill yourself, would you if you were in her place no right? Listen… You want your sister’s soul to rest in peace right?

 

The Guy silently nods his head, ‘yes’

 

“Then stop crying and start living. Committing suicide is never an option, its illegal and it’s a sin in every religion. If you want to get out of depression meet your friends or relatives talk with them share with them, deviate your thoughts or if even that too doesn’t work out attend group therapies.”

 

“But group therapies are for weak and abnormal.”

 

“What?? NO!! Attending group therapies doesn’t mean you are weak and abnormal. Don’t listen to what others say.”

 

“You are right; others don’t know what I am going through”

 

“Look, every person has a tragedy in his/her life. Even I went through the tragedy; I used to be bullied for being a born as a girl at my own house They say that girls shouldn’t work, shouldn’t be educated, they only belong in the kitchen and house and being raised in that environment I started to think like them as token of gratification for following their steps they reluctantly allowed me to work. That’s when everything changed; I met this wonderful colleague of mine, best friends later who changed everything about the way I think, the way I see. God bless her wherever she is.”

 

“What do you mean by wherever she is?” the Guy looks at the Lady. The No man stares at her keenly mean while the Orphan being to indifferent thinks as what an interesting load of crap.

 

“I don’t know she suddenly disappeared. That’s what we heard about it.”

 

“Why do you always say without any basis? Never believe from a third party. They all are rumors. Rumors can destroy a person’s life” the Orphan comments on the Lady, sitting straight.

 

“Hey how do you expect me to know the truth? I am not the police” the Lady defends herself.

 

“How did it happen?” asks the No man,

 

“Well she met a boy. She didn’t tell me about him like where he was from, his name, his work. She is not an introvert but regarding personal matters she is very secret. She was very punctual but she soon started to come late to work and leave early. She said she met him on Facebook. I warned her about this person but she was stubborn and she said that they both love each other. She left early as usual and she didn’t come to work the next day. We think that’s the day she disappeared.”

 

“Well you should never believe strangers whom you meet on Facebook” states the Orphan.

 

The Guy is still recovering. The No man smiles within himself.

 

“What’s so funny?” the Guy asks after a while.

 

“Nothing, it’s just I thought I was the only one with problems. It’s that if someone asked if I had a family…my answer will be yes but if some asked me if I had the best family, I would hesitate on that or may be even don’t answer at all. Even though I had everything I could ask for, I had nothing everyone else had. We share space between 4 walls but in fact the truth is we each live in between our 4 walls having no contact with others. ”

 

“Are you done with your bull s**t? Not everyone has parents.” the Orphan interrupts the No man.

 

“What? Everyone does.”

 

“Not everyone!”

 

“What?”

 

“You at least had parents to fulfil your needs and teach you. What about the persons who don’t have?” points at himself.

 

“Come on!! You are lucky. You don’t have to see anybody fight. You don’t have to see them fighting. You are a free bird”

 

“Do you know that you are still talking? It’s not like it sounds. Having parents is the best thing anyone could ask for, they impart wisdom, they take you to the school, they feed you, and they play with you. I didn’t experience any of those.” The Orphan turning towards the Guy and pointing him “You asked me how it feels like to lose a loved one right? Well I ask you, how does it feel to be born without loved ones? You think you are the only ones with problems, well you are not. There are people with problems worse than yours For that you attempt a suicide? What do you have to say about them, huh? You at least had a sister, I have no one. I don’t know who I was born to; I don’t know when my birthday is. I was left in a bad neighborhood; I roamed with gangs whom I didn’t even know who used me to put out cigarettes, I involved in activities I don’t if they were right or wrong.”

 

“Roamed with gangs? Involved in activities? What activities? Kitty party? I also roamed with gangs and involved in activities to get away from the gruesome loneliness in home. I used to gamble, dope, smoke, what not… you name it.”

 

“Drugs, smoke, gamble… my a*s. You didn’t even do a tenth of what I did”

 

“Oh please. Spare me with the crap. Name few things you did are way out of my league”

 

“I broke windshield of my principal’s car.”

 

The No man bursts into laughter “Please, I sold drugs to my teacher son, is that it?”

 

“I bugged woman trail rooms.”

 

The Lady’s pissed off, gets up to punch the Orphan. The Guy and the No man hold her off.

 

“Now you don’t want to break his jaw” the No man calms down the Lady.

 

“Ha. I leaked the board exams question papers; there you go I am district level. Is that it?”

 

The Orphan bursts into wild laughter.

 

“What you got a better on than me? You got to national level?”

 

“District level??” laughs even wilder “Dude I got into national level, if possible international.”

 

“What did you do?”

 

“Ha ha. I am not going to say that one.”

 

“Why? You are afraid that we might find out that you are the worst bluffer in the world?”

 

“Can you handle it?”

 

“Please I handled much tougher than your stupid jokes.”

 

“Then let’s see if you can take this…We are a group of 6; our leader met a girl. He just wanted to have some fun. So he bluffed and fooled her and made her think that he is in love with her because she is smoking hot. They are so intimate that she even sent her pictures, if you know what I mean” smiles weirdly “but our leader wanted something more. So he went up to her home, he convinced her to do it and they did it finally. He had his fun and the rest of the group wanted to meet her.”

 

“Rest of the group?” asks the Guy with disgust.

 

“Not all I wasn’t a part of that. So the rest of 4 members went up to her home.”

 

“Why weren’t you a part of it?” asks the Guy.

 

“They just called me up and said that they were going to me the girl and asked if I wanted to go with them. I said no. They were stoned.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I was with my girlfriend and didn’t want to leave her and later that night they returned. They looked all happy like they achieved first rank in an exam or something”

 

“Happy??” the Guy bewilders.

 

“They were stoned” answers the Lady.

 

“There is another reason to their jubilance” adds the Orphan “they asked to upload a video.”

 

“What video?” asks the Lady.

 

Curiosity makes both Lady and Guy stand up waiting for the Orphan to finish it.

 

“I asked them what video was that”

 

In a room which apparently looks a hostel room, the Orphan works on his laptop. The 4 just return.

 

“Hey!!!” greets all the 4.

 

“Hey!!” all the 4 greet in unison “You just missed it dude.” The 4 still stoned.

 

“Naah…its ok. I had fun too.”

 

“Well it’s not as much fun as we had.” All 4 laugh in unison and hi5 to each other.

 

“So how was she? Is she fun?”

 

“More than you would imagine” one of them answers.

 

“Alright, what did you people do? Where did you go?”

 

“We have it recorded on the tape dude…come let’s watch it” the other one answers and pulls out his mobile from his pocket and hands it over to the Orphan. Everyone gather around the Orphan.

 

“Then I saw the video.”

 

“What was in it?” asks the Lady who is pumped up with suspense and curiosity.

 

“The 4 molested her” answers the Orphan with reluctance “It was almost…not almost…it was a gang r..r..rape” the Orphan stutters “and they shot it in a mobile.”

 

“What!!!?” the Guy and the Lady shout in shock.

 

Amusingly, the No man doesn’t react in any way to this gruesome act, he stays impassive from the beginning. Both the Lady and the Guy shockingly stare at the Orphan.

 

“What did you then?” asks the Lady in shock.

 

“I didn’t how to respond, whether to call the police, shock, my mind was all blacked out.”

 

“wha…ho….wh..” the Orphan drops into the chair trying to catch his breathe.

 

The gang handles him a bottle of water. The Orphan devours water, most of it spilling and choking on it. Gathers his wits and tries to maintain his composure.

 

“How did it happen?”

 

“Well we went up to her home and asked her nicely, she rejected. One thing led to another and we… you know did it. Well she hadn’t resisted it would have been smooth and we would have left in peace. It’s her fault.” one of the group answers.

 

“Her fault?? It’s not her fault.”

 

“Then why did she reject?” one of the group answers.

 

“Any woman in her place would reject, she is not a w***e to do it with you”, the Orphan turns to the leader, “shame on you, you cheated her saying that you love here, what you would do if the same happens to your sister or mother?”

 

“Mind your words; we said we asked her politely, it’s her fault. We all eat chow mien you can’t blame us for that. Anyways good thing is we are not virgins anymore” the leader smiling and raising his hands in the jubilance of his achievement.

 

“How can all of you possibly say that you are men? You can’t even get a woman to sleep with you. What a loser!”

 

“Ooooo…someone is taking moral classes. Well if this is a crime, then you are one of us too. If you want us to keep our mouth shut in front of your girlfriend. You have to do as we say…well as I say as I am the leader.”

 

“How dare you?” pissed off at the leader’s statement “I am leaving you people, do whatever you want.”

 

“WOAH ! WOAH!” the leader grabs his shoulders and then the rest of the 3 grab him and force him down onto the chair and roll and then rotate the chair towards the laptop.

 

“Upload it!”

 

“What!??” asks the Orphan shockingly.

 

“Listen” the leader rotates the Orphan towards him “I gave you everything, everything I you have is my charity, including the admission in this college. If I can give, I can take it back too. If I had cared less about you, you would still be on the footpath begging for alms. So if you so much as try to flee and rat us out, we will frame you and then you will be a criminal, oh...wait...I am sorry, a rapist on run, you will be declared a rapist on run and as an incentive you will also lose your girlfriend who I assume is the only person you have. However if you co-operate I will save your a*s, I swear. You know I am a man on my word. Don’t you?”

 

Leader rotates his chair back towards the laptop. The Orphan shocked, his eyes turn red and unable to believe the circumstances he is now, reluctantly places his hand on the laptop, sticks the USB into the laptop and starts uploading. He stares with his malevolent eyes towards the leader but there is no use staring at him.

 

“Mask the IP address” the leader says with a more demanding voice rather than requesting voice, quiet amusing for a person to do for what he has done.”

 

“So I am stuck. I cannot say it to anyone. I stopped meeting my girl (two scenes, one including when the girl looks at her watch it’s 10 am. the Orphan just comes sitting beside his girl on a bench in a park but clearly ignoring her no matter how much she asks the reason and the other scene including a girl checking her watch at 10 am hoping the Orphan would show up, its 10:30 no sign of the Orphan, 11:15 still no sign, tired by this the girls walks away) I can’t complain to the police if I did they would use her as a bait and try to pull me back in, in worst case they can harm her.”

 

“Well you have to serve time even though you were pulled into this” says the No man “If said that you would be under witness protection, would you file a complaint against them?”

 

“Of course why not?”

 

“Alright”

 

The No man starts walking towards the door.

 

“Hey where are you going?” the Orphan follows the No man.

 

“To open the door”

 

“Oh geez… why didn’t we think of that… oh wait the Sherlock wants to do it”

 

“We’ve tried it” the Guy says.

 

“Well you tried I didn’t” the No man smiles “Open it guys” speaks aloud to his collar. The door opens momentarily. A group of people enter the room dressed neatly, earphones plugged into everyone ears.

 

“What is going on here?” the Lady shocked. As a matter of fact everyone is.

 

“Wait… wait who are you?” asks the Orphan terrified.

 

“I am the one who shouldn’t be telling your story to.” The No man turns towards to his team. “Did you get it all?”

 

“Yes” one of the team member answers.

 

 

The No man flashes his ID to everyone. “I am a cop and this isn’t any interrogation, this is an investigation. We just solved a case and you all helped me with it”

 

“Investigation?” the Lady questions coming forward a few steps.

 

“Yes, the stories you 3 told had something in common” the No man takes a deep breath and points to each while mentioning about them, “your sister, your colleague and the victim of your leaders gruesome act is one and same.”

 

(a shot of  the Sister as a sister, as a colleague and as a lover/girlfriend to the leader)

 

“What!!!!!” screams the Guy.

 

“Your sister was raped.” places his on the shoulder of the Guy and pats it with sympathy “I am sorry…The video is been uploaded many hours after the incident” pointing towards the Lady “you were right she met him on facebook” exhales air “The way I see it she was murdered. If the law were in my hands I would call it a murder.”

 

The Guy gallops towards the Orphan, the No man seeing it coming, holds off the Guy. The Guy struggles hard to hit the Orphan but all his attempts are in vain, the Orphan holds him off strong.

 

“No, control yourself, if you kill him, you sister won’t get justice, he is the only one who wants to testify and it’s not only about your sister it’s about every girl who is been raped. If we win this case, it will stand as an example to everyone. So calm yourself” the No man nudges the Guy a little.

 

The Guy moves to the corner and sits against the wall sobbing. Meanwhile, the Lady clarifies her doubts.

 

“Why couldn’t you bring us all to the police station, why not the conventional method?” the Lady asks.

 

“We could get you both easy.”

 

“So then why not bring him in?”

 

“As he said, he uploaded the video as per the group leader demand and as the leader promised, he protected him. We tried but he was under constant watch because he seemed like the most vulnerable candidate. Tycoon’s, father of the leader, his hoodlums tailed him all the time and even though one time we managed to bring him in during night. We had to let him go.”

 

“Why?”

 

“My senior officer was bribed so the moment I brought him in, I got a call asking him to release, so we had to release. So from then we started tagging the hoodlums who in return tagged him and when we got a window we grabbed him. So this is why we had to resort to this unconventional method.” (scenes showing hoodlums following the Orphan and then scenes showing the officers following the hoodlums)

 

The No man turns towards the Guy “You said you filed a complaint, right?”

 

“Yes, but it’s of no use” replies the Guy.

 

“No, this case was taken by Arjun, he stood firm and didn’t bow down to the leader father’s demands, so his father framed him, his wife and son. The tycoon father had them killed and paid the newspapers to publish that the family committed suicide unable to bear the disgrace. Now the case was handled over to me and the police you were talking about was Arjun *the Guy rises his head to look at the NO man*, he took up your sisters case, he believed that your case would make a change but it did now. Not all the police are corrupt only a few are. It takes one bad brick for the wall to collapse and the man you barely made out at your apartments was him” pointing backwards implying the Orphan “He wanted to make sure your sister was alive.”

 

The Guy suddenly gets up, strides towards the NO man, angry, No man doesn’t even finch “I want every person responsible for this to be dead, I want every last one of them dead! I want them dead! DEAD!” jerking his finger towards ground every time he says ‘dead’.

 

“Of course you do but the law isn’t in your hands neither in mine, so we have to go according to the code.”

 

“Code?” exhales out a puff of air in disgust for the law “are you expecting me to seek justice for my sister from the courts and code? There is no justice here, there is only revenge. I would be a fool to count on the code!” the whole disgust he holds for the code can be clearly seen on his face.

 

“Alright, we kill all of the people responsible and then what? What will you do? Will you get your sister back? Huh? No, right?” these words from the No man sends the Guy into thinking, the Guy calms down and rethinks if revenge is the best solution.

 

“This should stop! These rapes, discriminations, these should stop.” jerking his finger towards the ground.

 

“These will stop!” the No man grabs the Guy by his shoulder, both of them pumped with respect and love towards woman “but not by death, The thing is no matter how much you raise the degree of punishment, no fear will be imposed into the minds of people, every time a person commits crime they always think about an escape not the punishment. For example we know that stealing or theft is a crime and punishable but they are not completely stopped because people are not afraid of committing them instead they think ways to escape from the punishment but when rape is granted as a disease, people will start to fear it just like they feared ebola or swine flu.” The Guy folds his hands and tilts his head with completely questioning the No man’s statements “and do you plant to accomplish that?”

 

“I don’t know… spread the word, spread awareness to stop discrimination then you gather some people, then you can FIGHT for not only your sister but for a WOMAN!” the No man stands back straight filled with proud “trust me, it will not be in an instant but it will surely bring a change.” with a pause “Please don’t do go after revenge or else I would have to come after you. Can I trust you?” The Guy nods his head, lowers his head, the NO man continues to say “Good.” Turns to the Lady “I will inform you when the trail begins.”

 

The Guy nods his head, staring at the floor. The No man starts to leave along with his team and the Orphan. The Orphan speaks up “may… may I say something?” he requests for permission from the No man. The NO man grants him the permission by shaking his head “I may mock people when they are in need or pain, I may criticize people but I would never disrespect a woman because I have a woman, I love her to death and respect her and as I respect any other woman. When I heard that your sister…” the Guy’s vision bolts up to the Orphan “has… has been. . . . raped, I sneaked away from the leader to your apartment. As soon as I saw her I was shocked I couldn’t move, I stood standing like a doll staring at your sister, she asked me to help her dress up because she wanted to save her pride, she doesn’t want her brother to see her like that and insisted me to take her to the hospital because she said she wanted to live, she said wanted to look after her brother” listening this tears began to fill up the Guy’s eyes “she cried that he couldn’t live alone, that he is too sensitive, after we reached the hospital she knew that she couldn’t recover, she knew that her time has come, she wanted me to tell you that she loves and will keep loving you and will always be with you, no matter what situation you are in, she wanted you to just keep living for yourself not for her, to follow your dreams and not to get caught up in what happened to her.” Tears begins to drop from his eyes “I don’t know how you looked like, I wanted to meet you and tell you this I escaped from the hoodlums to tell you this but never got the chance to meet you, I knocked your door many times but no one answered. I think I was the who you saw in the lift that day (scene where the Guy catches a fleeting glimpse of a man going down in the lift). Finally I could tell you now. Thank you for listening to me and I hope you forgive me for what I have done.” The Orphan joins his hands seeking for forgiveness. The No man signals the team to move out , the team walks away with the Orphan, just before the exiting the room, the NO man gives a sympathy look to the Guy, who starts crying, getting consoled by the Lady.

 

 

 

 

Days later, after the Orphan had testified, the criminals have been caught, the gang members were arrested at their respective houses or hanging spots, the leader was arrested at his office when he is with his father, the Tycoon, he tries his best to stop but this is beyond him, he couldn’t stop, watches them hopelessly as they take away his son. In an interrogation room the leader is been interrogated with his hands chained to the table, he stares with a deadly look towards the one way mirror hoping that he will staring at the Orphan, dreaming that one day he will kill him, he is snapped back into reality when the interrogator slams the desk. Unfortunately he couldn’t complete his dream of killing him. Later rest of the gang was interrogated following the leader.


After a few days, the parents of the Lady bring the issue of her marriage and imply that her would-be wants her to stop working. She is worried about losing her job, she wanted to keep working in fact she doesn't want to marry so soon. She endures the yelling and cursing, she hopes there is someone to protect her, hoping her Colleague would come save her, her colleague.... her colleague........her colleague, who made a difference in the Lady's life, an inspiration to her, an example she can look up to. She pulls herself, if not now then never, suppression changes into an argument. Parents are quite shocked, can't believe their own eyes and ears as matter of fact wondering if its their own daughter. She makes her statement, fixed on her decision, walks out of the house, with her head held up high and chest forward, looks to the sky, for the first time feels the gentle breeze of freedom against her face, all chains broken, smiles triumphant.



The Guy starts to make peace with himself, starts living like his sister wanted him to, like his sister dreamed of. He wouldn't let her dreams shatter just because he is alone, there are lots of people worse than him, he understands. He has to let go of it, so he is, he is moving out of his apartment, can't dwell in the past, can't stop. He has to stay alive, for his sister and more importantly for himself, walks out of his apartment,locking the door behind him, leaving behind everything except for the golden memories. He keeps walking, going to start fresh with a gentle smile on his face. Looks to the sky 'thank you sis'  says his inner voice.


-THE END-

 

NOTE: DIALOGUES IN BOLD and ITALIAN TEXT ARE VOICE OVERS.

© 2015 anurag


Author's Note

anurag
ignore grammar and spelling, tell me if could figure out the story before finishing it.
THERE NO CHARACTER NAMES EXCEPT ARJUN and ITS NOT A DOCUMENTARY. btw if you have ANY TITLES PLEASE DO SHARE. Thanks in advance

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story was BRILLIANT!

Posted 6 Years Ago


A sprawling but very gripping read with a depth-charge that quietly detonates as the characters unravel in the shifting scenes around the violation and cover-ups. Just needs a bit of editing to make it a great piece of drama.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

anurag

8 Years Ago

thanks for the wonderful review. if you don't mind can you suggest me on the editing part? where do .. read more
I liked the story a lot. Show a different world and place. I like the detailed conversation and the strong characters. The storyline brought me in and the good story held my attention. I like the beginning. Giving balance and reason for the story. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
anurag

8 Years Ago

hey, i know its after a long time to ask but what do you mean by 'give balance and reason for the st.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I like the writers who made every scene come alive. George Martin books make every scene come alive... read more
Hey! I finally got around to reading it :) I really enjoyed how the story came together, and how you were able to tackle issues in the story. May I suggest something? How about you write it in script form, like a play or a movie? I think the different parts would be better understood if it's written that way. Other than that, great job with the story! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


anurag

8 Years Ago

thank you maja! thanks for the tip and generous review!
Very Intense and catching Writing, I must say. You raised such a tragic issue that is prevailing in our society in a very impressive manner. Hats off...!

Posted 8 Years Ago


anurag

8 Years Ago

thank you very much for reviewing and thank you for that generous compliment.
Noor.92

8 Years Ago

You welcome..it was really a nice read.. :-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2015
Last Updated on June 5, 2015

Author

anurag
anurag

hyderabad, India




Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Society Society

A Poem by Curls


Just Words Just Words

A Poem by gabiaimee