A lesson (or two) well learned

A lesson (or two) well learned

A Story by anxia
"

Sometimes, it really pays to listen to an advice. If you miss that, It also helps to learn on your own.

"
"What ever you say, dad", I said grudingly, as I walked away frowning. My dad and I were looking at phones for me and I wanted this one phone that was a little pricey over its alternatives that had the same features. However, dad said because this was my first phone, it would be a great idea to buy something in the low range, that way even if I lose it, we can easily replace it and cut down the loss. I was so sure that I would not lose it that I couldn't see any scenario where I might. He tried to explain since I wasn't used to having a phone, I might forget it someplace. Nevertheless, Seeing me sulk, he bought the phone I wanted. My phone got me through a lot. I hated the new place that I had moved to and ended up often playing on it  to cheer myself up. Everyone liked my phone and it was all great; I never left it behind anywhere and managed to keep it safe. It was not that hard.

It was the weekend and as usual, I was on the way to my sister's place. I had to switch two rides to get there. Getting off the first ride, I took my backpack off and turned it around for money to pay the fare when I noticed that the zip on the front mini compartment was slightly open. I thought I must not have closed it all the way before. Unzipping it, I fished around for the money when something hit me like a bolt of lightning. I couldn't find my phone! I usually put it only in the front mini comparment and I clearly recall putting it there the last time, nonetheless, I quickly searched the rest  of my bag but in vain. I was in a shock and it took me a few seconds  before I could even think. 'Did I forget it in my dorm? At college?' Were my first thoughts. My mind kept going to the slightly opened zip of my bag but I didn't connect the dots. This was a public share ride and I was the only one riding  until a couple of boys got in about halfway. I sat looking out the window to my right. A few minutes later, the boys got off almost abruptly like they were not actually planning to get off there but decided to now. I reached my stop shortly afterwards.

I told the driver my phone was missing. He suggested the guys that got off  before me might have taken it. He seemed to think they got off rather suspiciously and that's when my mind flashing to the open zip made sense. I paid him extra to turn around  and tried to locate the guys at their stop to no avail. I was thoroughly confused. Once home, I emptied my bag to see if anything else was missing, but thankfully it was just the phone. I had just bought an expensive laptop and found a few scratches on it around the edges that comes from rough handling. Those weren't there that morning. I couldn't help but think the guys must have tried to steal it too, but given it was big and  the zip was longer to open (the bigger comparments), they probably decided not to risk getting caught. I also had some cash in the mini compartment, but it was at the very bottom that one had to dig it out, so they may not have seen it. In the hopes that I actually forgot my phone at the college or dorm,  I started calling my colleagues and department staff on my sister's phone. All my contacts were on my phone and I didn't  know any by heart. Fortunately, there was one number on my sister's phone I think; she had it to contact me in case my phone was down. I called one to get the number of another and so on and so forth until I confirmed that no, I didn't leave my phone anywhere. I tried to locate the phone using google, but the phone was switched off and its last location was around the place the guys' stopped. I was scared to tell my dad because this was exactly what he was talking about. I promptly understood what my dad was trying to tell me and how there is more than one of way of losing something; you don't have to necessarily misplace it. Initially, I tried buying a very basic 2g phone out of shame and guilt of losing the previous one.  My sister and brother in law, however, bought me a smartphone since I needed high speed net for my studies. Eventually, I told my dad. To my relief, he was not mad at all, even though he had the reason to be. He just gently  explained this was why buying a cheaper phone would have been better and paid for my new phone. He asked me take good care of my laptop keeping in mind that I  need to be careful with things when I am out and about as well. 
In addition, I learned to set a screen lock as well as set my data to back up as soon I get a new device. With my first phone, I kept telling myself that I didn't have anything important enough to lock my phone or to  back it up and I would do it later. Meanwhile, I took a lot of beautiful and memorable pictures on the trips I went  in the time I had the phone. All gone just like that. Nevertheless, what worried me the most was my signed-in email account and pictures on my phone for security. My brother helped me sign out of everything remotely. He reminded me to set all the security parameters first on the new phone and with the rest of my phones, since then, that's what I have done.





© 2021 anxia


Author's Note

anxia
Hello everyone! I would really love to hear your thoughts on the sentence structure, grammar, readaility, flow, title, the starting and the ending, anything else you think I could benefit from learning. Please hold back on anything. One more thing; I am posting after SOME years and I'd appreciate if you could check out my other writings and see if I have comparatively improved with this story. If you know a friend that would enjoy picking this apart, share it with them, please. Many thanks and hope you enjoy this!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting write. You create bad situation and lesson. I liked the flow; you kept the story going to the proper ending. Thank you for sharing the entertaining tale.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

anxia

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Coyote. It is very nice of you to stop and drop in a review. Cheers.
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

I enjoyed the story and you are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 1, 2021
Last Updated on December 1, 2021
Tags: Lesson, learn, experience, teach, phone, lost