Act 2 Scene 8.

Act 2 Scene 8.

A Chapter by apj1465
"

The plot to destroy Sforza once and for all

"

SCENE 8


(Alfonso's chamber. ALFONSO and FIA are studying a pair of scales.)


ALFONSO.

(places a weight on the scales) These were smuggled out of a church in Novara before Sforza stormed the place. They say the priests used to weigh men's souls, sin on one side, their donations on the other. What news?


FIA.

Novara, Romagnano, Tortona, Allesandria, all fallen. It is also becoming difficult to obtain reliable reports from within Milan itself. I fear the Revolution is consuming its young. Riots, arson, and outright murder are now so common place that they become to be regarded as legitimate means of political discourse.


ALFONSO.

All this because of a silly letter. What of Carlo Gonzago? I heard that he was the new Captain General.


FIA.

For a moment he was, I am told he even stood before the cross and swore the most sacred oath to defend the republic to the death. He then marched out and surrendered his army to Sforza. There is no one of consequence left to oppose him.


ALFONSO.

Then the republic is finished and Milan will have a new Duke. Do you have news of my man?


FIA.

Sforza decided to entertain William of Monteferrat in Pavia and then forgot to tell him he could leave.


ALFONSO.

Another ghost of Pavia, that city seems to be gaining something of reputation.


FIA.

You have another close to Sforza?


ALFONSO.

If I had, do you think I would tell you?


FIA.

You might, it would depend on what you wanted from me.


ALFONSO.

I will give it some thought. For the moment your price?


FIA.

Alessandro Sforza. He lives?


ALFONSO.

He lives. As Sforza's ambassador, the Pope wanted his name upon a document and so thought it best to place him under lock and key until he agreed to sign.


FIA.

He will be allowed to escape?


ALFONSO.

It could be arranged, if only you had something to trade?


FIA.

Florence is exhausted with the campaigns with you and despite remaining upon his side Cosimo will no longer supply Sforza with money.


ALFONSO.

You are certain of this?


FIA.

I saw the letter myself.


ALFONSO.

He let you see the letter?


FIA.

Yes. You doubt my word?


ALFONSO.

It is not your word that I doubt. Return to Florence and keep on eye on Cosimo.


Exit FIA, Enter VENICE.


Greetings my lord.


VENICE.

Was that not Fiammetta d'Este?


ALFONSO.

It was.


VENICE.

You play with fire my lord.


ALFONSO.

Do not worry, she will come to a bad end, probably at the hands of someone more determined than she. In the meantime?


VENICE.

We have Marcellus in Sforza's camp. The Senate becomes more alarmed with each report. If Sforza becomes Duke they fear they will face an opponent far more dangerous than the Duke ever was. They wanted to hire Malatesta as Captain General but he has refused.


ALFONSO.

I think they under-estimate how the shade of Sforza's daughter haunts him. Such is his fear of falling within reach of his vengeance that he will sit upon his hands and refuse to risk either his army or his own skin.


VENICE.

It is as some suspect. But Sforza has no actual proof that his daughter died by Malatesta's hand as revenge for Pesaro.


ALFONSO.

No, but I am reliably informed such proof exists.


VENICE.

Then might sufficient motivation be applied to Malatesta?


ALFONSO.

It can be arranged, but it will take time.


VENICE.

Such is the will of God. Who will supply the motivation? The d'Este, I presume?


ALFONSO.

As always. I fear this payment will be costly. It seems there is destined to be another ghost of Pavia.


VENICE.

And you ask of us?


ALFONSO.

Alessandro Sforza is to be allowed to escape.


VENICE.

His Holiness will not like that. He is particularly looking forward to settling matters with that particular Sforza.


ALFONSO.

Speak of the devil. Holiness!


Enter POPE. ALFONSO and VENICE who kneel.


POPE.

I hear we make progress against Lucifer and his abominable clan. The brother under lock and key and our good son Carlo Gonzago marches against him. God is truly just.


ALFONSO.

The reports were somewhat optimistic.


POPE.

Will no man keep faith with me!! (coughs) If I give my last breath to see Lucifer humbled, then I shall go to my grave content.


ALFONSO.

Your Holiness is unwell?


POPE.

Don't sound so surprised. I know you are both bribing the College of Cardinals to ensure the election of your favourite candidate. Yet it may surprise you to learn that Cosimo Medici is outspending you both, quite significantly. Come now my lord Alfonso, you did not think the resources of Florence had been so exhausted by your little campaigns against them?


ALFONSO.

It would seem someone has not been keeping faith with me and she will pay dearly for that.


POPE.

That is no concern of mine. What is of concern is whether we can bring down Lucifer once and for all.


ALFONSO.

We must see the world as it is, not how we would like it to be. We cannot stop Sforza becoming Duke of Milan, what we can do is make sure he does not enjoy it for long.


POPE.

Another campaign?


ALFONSO.

One battle.


POPE.

And where will Armageddon be fought?


ALFONSO.

Cremona. When we know Bianca and the rest of them are there.


POPE.

Not Milan?


ALFONSO.

We could never take the city. Instead we will pay Genoa to declare against the French.


VENICE.

That is dangerous, the Dauphin Louis openly admires Sforza, it is believed they even correspond.


ALFONSO.

Precisely, in the hope of meeting his hero he will personally march against the city and when he gets there he will find a second army under Piccinino waiting for him.


VENICE.

And Sforza will march to his aid. It will be the end of Piccinino, but we must all make sacrifices.


ALFONSO.

It's all in the timing. We will attack Cremona with the combined armies of Venice and your Holiness’ under Malatesta.Naples will be under my personal command. Sforza's claim to Milan is through Bianca, kill her and the children and there is nothing.


POPE.

There are rumours concerning the death of Malatesta's wife, Lucifer's b*****d daughter. My army will not fight for him for fear that such a man would lead them to ruin and eternal damnation.


ALFONSO.

Your Holiness could absolve him of all sins, such as they may be.


POPE.

And why should I do that?


ALFONSO.

I will pay for the Papal army on its most holy crusade.


POPE.

That won't be enough. They're a superstitious lot.


ALFONSO.

There will be a sign from God that Lucifer is to be cast down again.


POPE.

Truly?


VENICE.

We guarantee it.


POPE.

You have my blessing my sons.


Lights Down




© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on August 18, 2018
Last Updated on August 18, 2018
Tags: sforza, milan, visconti, bianca, play


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465