Act 2 Scene 9.

Act 2 Scene 9.

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Sforza reveals his plan.

"

SCENE 9


(SFORZA sits on the throne of Milan COSIMO watches PERSICCO kneel, kiss SFORZA'S ring and Exit)


COSIMO.

I wager that hurt. So how fares the newly minted Duke of Milan?


SFORZA.

In truth, it is harder than I thought. But I have the consolation of knowing that I am no tyrant. I am proud to say I rule because the common people desire it so.


COSIMO.

And are they grateful for all that you do?


SFORZA.

Those that the plague does not claim come out to cheer me on the streets then go home again and complain about the cost.


COSIMO.

A practically minded people, just like their ruler. If you don’t like what the people think, it serves you right for asking them in the first place.


SFORZA.

That's exactly what Bianca said, but I continue to believe that there are inherent possibilities in the good people of Milan


COSIMO.

Francesco, these experiments in democracy will never find favour with serious politicians. Your belief in the potential of the common people is erroneous and will inevitably lead you astray. If a man has no stake in the state it will be of no concern to him whether the outcome of a decision is good or ill. Whereas those who have at their command, land, property, manufactures and other moveables, have an interest so closely bound with the prosperity of a state that they will inevitably act in accordance with the common good. Speaking of the fair Bianca?


SFORZA.

She is at her weapons training with Federico. She really is becoming quite good.


COSIMO.

She will need to be. We must face difficult facts. Not even Visconti could survive against two enemies at the same time, and you, old friend, face at least four.


SFORZA.

I am not Visconti. I know there is pressure in Florence for you to abandon the Sforza. There will also be guilt about the loss of a sister republic? Destroyed, they will say, by my hand.


COSIMO.

And there is increasing pressure for me to continue. Someone is spending a lot of money with the right people.


SFORZA.

Changing the subject, Bianca has heard rumours about Florentine merchants being expelled from Venetian territory.


COSIMO.

She has been busy.


SFORZA.

You know how it is, women and their gossip.


COSIMO.

I do indeed. Venice thought their power would compel neutrality. They were wrong. But you must face the unpleasant truth that you need the French.


SFORZA.

If the French come it will be to the ruin of us all. At the very least it will draw the Emperor in and Italy would then become a battleground for the great powers. To the ruination of us all.


COSIMO.

Better to be their friends then their enemies. How is the Emperor?


SFORZA.

Unhappy, he is still refusing to write to me.


COSIMO.

Ally with the French King.


SFORZA.

His army is a walking disaster. As for his son Louis, he is brilliance and malice entwined together. Our only long term hope is for the states of Italy to ally together in a bond of perpetual peace. United we can keep the foreigners out and with universal peace who knows what we can achieve?


COSIMO.

A noble dream, but a dream nevertheless.


SFORZA.

One which you still share or you would not be here.


COSIMO.

True, but I also live in the real world. The French are coming, either now or in the future, it is better to be their friend than their enemy.


Enter BIANCA.


SFORZA.

How do we fare?


BIANCA.

My agents deal with the suspect and the discontented. No one will escape me.


SFORZA.

As always I trust your judgement in such things.


BIANCA.

Naturally. What are you two up to?


SFORZA.

He wants to ally with the French.


BIANCA.

Do we have a choice?


COSIMO.

That is a particularly fine dress you are wearing, Florentine. Expensive?


BIANCA.

You have no idea.


COSIMO.

Oh, I think I have. (To SFORZA.) Alfonso hates you.


SFORZA.

I know we've had our differences. But as he has taken my land in Naples and Ancona, what cause the complaint?


COSIMO.

That you still breathe. We will talk more later.


Exit COSIMO.


SFORZA.

He's worried.


BIANCA.

He's not the only one.


SFORZA.

What do the ambassadors say?


BIANCA.

They say the plague is God's vengeance for your many blasphemies.


SFORZA.

I have lived too long and seen too much of the papacy to have much faith in God. Which is, no doubt, another blasphemy. The plague?


BIANCA.

My agents think it has a more human origin.


SFORZA.

I'm afraid knowing it to be so will not help us.


BIANCA.

They are coming and they mean to destroy us. They would have to kill our children.


SFORZA.

I do not think killing children would bother them.


BIANCA.

Neither do I.


SFORZA.

There is still time to run?


BIANCA.

I am both Visconti and Sforza and neither runs. But they are getting closer.


SFORZA.

It is only light and noise.


BIANCA.

Piccinino is against us.


SFORZA.

Perhaps I should have offered him my daughter Drusinia as he wanted.


BIANCA.

It is hard to keep track of all your children, is she the one with the squint?


SFORZA.

My daughter does not have a squint!


BIANCA.

Of course not, she’s from good stock, mostly. And Drusinia thinks about all this?


SFORZA.

Does it matter?


BIANCA.

The attitude of a most loving father, how well I remember it. And like father you have a talent for making enemies. I sometimes think that God loves you as much as I do, there can be no other explanation as to why you have survived so long.


SFORZA.

I will not be a beast amongst men.


BIANCA.

If men come to write books about our age it will be the beasts they choose. I suppose Cosimo thinks I am bribing the great and the good of Florence.


SFORZA.

It is the natural conclusion.


BIANCA.

Which you did nothing to contradict. You bribe Florence with its own money. I marvel how the honest man that you are can come up with such a scheme.


SFORZA.

Such was the benefit of being educated with the d'Este.


BIANCA.

I really see no alternative, but to ask for an increase in my allowance from the treasury, it’s the only way I can see of overcoming the burden of having so infamous a husband.


SFORZA.

Unfortunately, the Treasury is empty.


BIANCA.

Florence would not have cost that much? Francesco. You know how I abhor loose ends.


SFORZA.

I do my sweet.


BIANCA.

Cosimo will not be pleased when he finds out the truth. Do we foresee an end to a friendship made in heaven?


SFORZA.

Cosimo is my adviser, confidant and friend. He has maintained faith when all others deserted. He is my higher; better self, free of error, absurdity and pretension. If example is the school to mankind, let the world know of his life and profit by it.


BIANCA.

So we are not going to kill him then?


SFORZA.

No. No!


BIANCA.

Then where is our money going?


SFORZA.

Genoa.


BIANCA.

You empty the treasury to bribe Genoa? I see, you outbid other interested parties! The French move against them, they in turn request help from our enemies and when the issue is in doubt the Sforza ride to the rescue of the French, secure in the knowledge that Genoa will not fight you. You save Genoa from the French and the French from our enemies and everyone loves you for it.


SFORZA.

Except the French King.


BIANCA.

I don't suppose you will lose much sleep over that. I can see that there is some merit of being educated with the d'Este, perhaps we should place one of our children with them?


SFORZA.

No need my love. That one I learned from your father.


BIANCA.

I foresee only one problem Can we win?


SFORZA.

You doubt it?


BIANCA.

I want to hear you say it.


SFORZA.

We will win, for the flesh and blood that was once Francesco Sforza no longer exists. I am ‘Sforza’ the legend that has grown greater than any living man, and I will break them all. Does that satisfy?


BIANCA.

I never doubted it for a moment. While you're playing soldiers I think I will take the children for a little holiday in Cremona.




Lights Down.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on August 18, 2018
Last Updated on August 18, 2018
Tags: Sforza, milan, visconti, bianca, play


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465