just love deprived

just love deprived

A Screenplay by Anika

FADE IN:

EXT. DOWNTOWN - NIGHT - ESTABLISHING


It’s New Year’s Eve. The streets are busy and a thin layer of snow covers the ground of downtown, Toronto. Traffic is slow. University students are lined up outside of the Carlu.


CLOSE UP on a couple kissing, and another holding hands.


IVY (V.O)

We don’t control love. It controls us.


Quick CLOSE UP’S of various students-while in line-laughing, talking, and blowing into their hands for warmth.


It keeps us warm, but can turn us cold.


DISSOLVE TO:


INT. THE CARLU - PARTY VENUE - NIGHT


MAX (26), enters the party wearing comfortable jeans and a plain T. He’s already put his coat in the coat room. His hair isn’t fixed up to look nice.


He awkwardly looks around the room filled with drunk college students and loud music. (This isn’t really my scene, I don’t even know why I came.) His expression shows exactly how he feels about being there.


The space is dim, and very big.


IVY (V.O)

Love is dangerous, but it makes us feel safe.

 

Max walks deeper into the crowd, searching for a clear space. He gets claustrophobic easily.

As he pushes around people, his eyes catch a girl. He turns his head, and watches her as she dances.

 

It is desire for another soul.

 

He gets a curious look in his eyes-unable to look away.

 

Love-(V.O GETS CUT OFF)

A drink is accidentally spilled over Max’s pants. This breaks his stare. He looks down at his crotch.

 

MAX

Oh, you’ve gotta be kidding.

 

He lets out an irritated breath. He walks around the crowd, awkwardly, in search of the washroom. It’s hard for him to find.

       

 FADE OUT.

 

 

 

FADE IN:

INT. IVY’S BEDROOM - NIGHT


IVY, a 24 year old woman, sits on her queen sized bed with a laptop in front of her.


IVY

(V.O while typing for a blog)

Love is a million feelings put into one word. Passion, anger, joy, pain, excitement, curiosity, nervousness, selflessness, selfishness, comfort. Love is a word for all those words.


Ivy stops typing for a few beats.

IVY

(V.O with typing)

I have never been in love with someone who loved me back; it’s always been unrequited. My parents have been together since they were fifteen and sixteen. Being naive back then I assumed I was going to have the same experience. I was constantly looking for love, trying to force their experience to become mine, not realizing that I wasn't my parents. It was only until I graduated high school that I realized what worked for them wasn't working for me.



 

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. THE CARLU MEN'S WASHROOM - NIGHT


Max is standing near the corner of the room, attempting to dry his pants with toilet paper. He receives different kinds of looks as men enter and catch the act. He is easy to embarrass-a weakness he bears.


CLOSE UP of his hands anxiously drying his crotch area.


A man walks into the washroom. Tugging at his collar, he lets out a breath.


TRACKING SHOT of Max walking over to the garbage. He tosses the used paper into it.

 

 

MAN

S**t, it’s hot out there.


Max raises his bushy eyebrows.


MAX

Tell me about it.


The man glances at Max’s jeans.


MAN

Dude, you piss yourself?

 

MAX

No.

He gets defensive, and embarrassed.

No, some idiot spilled their wasted money on my pants.


The man’s expression is lost. He doesn’t understand Max’s joke, but fakes a chuckle anyway. He walks up to a urinal and unzips his black pants. His back is facing the camera.


MAN

It’s too dark out there to even notice dude. Stop hiding in here like a scared kid. Be a man, go get some ladies.


Max checks his pants again, they’re less wet than before. He nods.


MAX

Ladies, I can do that, okay.


CLOSE UP to the man smirking of disbelief-holding back a chuckle. Max doesn’t see or notice this. He leaves the scene.


MAN

I’m sure you can buddy.


He laughs, and zips up his pants. CLOSE UP and TRACKING SHOT of his fancy black shoes, as he walks towards the sinks. The sound of the TAP being turned on is the only noise in the room.

SHOT of the man looking at himself in the mirror, angling his nicely carved face in different ways. He grins.

 


FADE OUT.


FADE IN:

INT. THE CARLU - PARTY VENUE CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT


Max stands up tall-an attempt to appear confident. He isn’t a smooth guy. He looks around at all the women. (If only I could have them all)

He fixes his hair with his hand and walks towards the bar.


There she is, the dancing girl.


OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT: she’s sitting alone at the bar-her back TOWARDS the camera.

CLOSE UP: A smile approaches his face

 

He stands up straight and takes a deep breath.

TRACKING SHOT: he walks towards the empty seat next to her.

Max sits down. He thinks of what to say.


MAX

You have really nice hair.


She doesn’t respond, or move her head.

HER FACE ISN’T REVEALED YET.

Well, hi I’m Max.


Silence-except for the incredibly loud noise of music.

He scratches the back of his chocolate brown hair. (Maybe she didn’t hear me?) He clears his throat.


MAX

Excuse me!


He raises his voice.


She turns her head and see’s Max’s lips moving without hearing a word he’s saying.


MAX

Your hair reminds me of corn. I love corn.


He turns his head away from her, CLOSE UP of him mouthing the words "nice one"

She realizes he’s talking to her, and pulls out her earphones.

CLOSE UP of her face.

Grey eyes, dark hair, Angelina Jolie nose.

YOUNG WOMAN

(Over the shoulder shot-his shoulder)

Pardon? Were you saying something?


MAX

(Over the shoulder shot-her shoulder)

Yes, I was going to get your number


He tries to be smooth.


YOUNG WOMAN

Uhm, no thanks.


But fails miserably.

Her pretty face looks unimpressed, and she disappears as fast as she can.


Max sighs.

The music and noises of people yelling “HAPPY NEW YEAR” at the top of their lungs fades away.

He orders a long island and buries his face into his hands.


DOLLY SHOT away from where he sits alone-in bird’s eye view. You can see the entire party-people lifting other people, screaming, celebrating.

(CONTINUED)



CONTINUED:

EXT. THE ROOF OF THE CARLU MIDNIGHT


DOLLY SHOT away from the top of the building. Getting higher, until most of downtown Toronto is visible.

It’s snowing, lights are on, and the city is still very much awake.



FADE OUT.


IVY (V.O AFTER FADE OUT)

If you look for love, you won’t find it. Love has to find you.

© 2015 Anika


Author's Note

Anika
This is only my first try at a screenplay, so it's really not great, I still don't know all of the rules. But practice makes perfect:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on October 1, 2015
Last Updated on October 12, 2015

Author

Anika
Anika

Toronto, ON



About
I'm Anika, some people call me niki/nika but I personally don't mind anything. I'm looking forward to reading the work of other writers on this site:) I love writing, reading and playing guitar. I.. more..

Writing
touch touch

A Poem by Anika


page 62 page 62

A Chapter by Anika