Do Not Deny Your Nature - Nor Be Ashamed

Do Not Deny Your Nature - Nor Be Ashamed

A Story by abby2011
"

A rebuttle to the poem 'Desiderata'.

"

I firmly believe that 'Desiderata' is an overrated material. I do not believe in the philiosphy it presents nor the pretencious comfort it alays.

 

I can't relate to something which advises against comparisons yet informs, that there will always be 'greater and lesser' people. This is the voice of the author and a reflection of their interpretation of his/her place in the world. This is irresponsible. I'm sorry, Desiderata is despair.

 

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
 
This paragraph vexes me and is immature. This writing is too simplified. The intention of the author is lost. It seems to me to be more of a guide to western values. That there would always be greater and lesser persons than yourself?? Am I so immature to truly believe that we are equal in worth, maybe physically and productively (in all manners of the word) our capacity varies. But I do not believe that my neighbour is 'greater' than me on account of one or two superior merits (as valued by society or a certain period of time).
 
 I wonder why I hear the boundary or confinement and not so much the intended words of comfort. To me there is no comfort in comparatives to my neighbour. To me this can only afford vexation, as it is human nature to compete and why should we deny that? Why should we deny our nature and stagnate or fear growth? This poem is an effort to contain us and continue mediocrity. For that I am ashamed.
 

© 2011 abby2011


Author's Note

abby2011
This is my opinion only.

I just feel like people have esteem for pop-culture more than insightful content. I feel that these pop-culture poems, which are poorly phrased, employing questionable words (for alternate meaning) potentially impact generations under the false pretense that we are not all equal.

It is a subtle inclusion but apparent to me and shouldn't be ignored. There was a time when writing was read, discussed, analysed. Today, if it is not readily readable, accesible and easily comprehended, it doesn't seem to be considered.

I truly resent pop-culture readings. To me it has no place in my home or heart.

Abbs

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think your right in what that paragraph really dimisses is the potential that exists within each of us . as an individual and expressing myself as one I know i will be compared and labelled by outside eyes , but know the strength is knowing who i am and where i am on a personal level .

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

We as souls in form being children of The Creator are indeed all equal!
And this statement does indicate that we should accept our limitations and be happy with that. Maybe the writer of this poem should have rephrased or maybe they accepted their limitations. I only read what I was told to read in school what seems like a long time ago so not pop culture do I know.
Life experience, education, and understanding self allows us to overcome our challenges in life, to be better than we were.
As Robin pointed out knowing who we are and being that which we know is of the greatest importance!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You're dissection of this (and of pop culture ultimately) was so mercilessly honest. I love it. The disintegration of individuality is frighteningly easy to swallow for so many people. So many people are comfortable being locked away inside labels and social status. Equality in no way represents stagnation (as I suspect it is displayed in order to repel.) Equality represents a struggle and a chance to succeed. To stifle that competitive spirit is to lie down and offer one's face to the feet of the World. It is quite refreshing to find a functioning brain amidst the piles of predigested Hallmark cards what has become society.

Hmm. I guess what all that was attempting to say before it got carried away was simply: bravo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi Robin,

You get it! Yes I think it is too general too simplified to contain human nature. Good luck containing the delicious variations of humanity in a simply phrased 'feel good/ it'll do' poem.

Not to my taste whatsoever.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think your right in what that paragraph really dimisses is the potential that exists within each of us . as an individual and expressing myself as one I know i will be compared and labelled by outside eyes , but know the strength is knowing who i am and where i am on a personal level .

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 17, 2011
Last Updated on January 23, 2011

Author

abby2011
abby2011

Newcastle, Cooks Hill, Australia



About
I believe in the power of good intentions. I believe that love and faith conquers bad energy and negativity. I believe that life is a journey which is there to be travelled. I can't sit still and.. more..

Writing
S.L.L S.L.L

A Poem by abby2011


You Know You Know

A Poem by abby2011