Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Aratma
"

A definition for clouds

"

Water!” fills my mind as I fly in the moist sky, mouth gaped, breating in as much as I can. I flex a wing and feel the rotation drawing my body in. The little water specks hit my face and cling to my lashes. Clothes and wings dampening, I feel happy and fullfiled. A very good catch today. The big gray cloud would soon leave the territory, but I linger inside it, enjoying it’s caressing fluffines.

A peak outside and off I am. No signs of archers today. The next cloud is pretty close and I jump in, then off to the next one, as long as I can. The gathered weight slows me down, but it's vital for the clan’s life and I am the best gatherer in my family. I am the one taking risks, and I am rewarded accordingly. I got a new slave just the other day.

Wind blows stronger as I reach Ayl’s peak. I perch down and take in sight the rest of the way to the nest. I slide off and go high in the sky, finding the swift current. This part of the road stretching over the fields is the most dangerous, so I keep my eyes to the ground, glued to any movement. Humans are well known for their ability to disguise themselves as patches on the ground.

I reach the nest just as the sun hides behind the peaks I have left behind. Ayl’s is the highest, and unreachable by any other means except flight. It marks the center of our teritory, proud and harsh, as we are.

The guards salute as I enter, and slaves accompany me to the water room. They remove my wrappers and carefully put them on the grills that cover the ducts that go deep inside the nest. My wings release their weight to their skilled touch.

I stop them when they want to help me remove my gear. Today is my niece’s birthday. She is too young to fly out, but loves nothing more than hearing stories from me. I’ll let her dry my hair and tell her one more time her favourite story. Ayl and his magic wings. I’ll tell her about flying in the clouds. And watch her eyes closing as she’ll start dreaming of it, covered in her fluffy wings.

Today is indeed a good day.



© 2008 Aratma


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on November 26, 2008


Author

Aratma
Aratma

Writing
Wolf Wolf

A Story by Aratma


Clouds Clouds

A Book by Aratma


Roses - part II Roses - part II

A Story by Aratma