Cities of the Dead

Cities of the Dead

A Poem by justAnumber
"

Written for the Prompted Picture Contest, about the above ground tombs in New Orleans.

"
Welcome all, to our Cities of the Dead,
enter through these cast iron gates,
sun bleached tombstones ahead,
loved ones of past do await.
Vaults, filled with riches,
of memories in tow,
no deep ditches,
sea wont allow.
Rusty ironwork, and candle-lined tombs . Shadows lurk, all inhabitants doomed.
Water table, high, soggy graves below . peasants come to die, gather do the crows
Like streets, paved with the bodies of men . death suites, hearing prayers, Amen
Older the bodies,
burial bags piled high,
not quite The Illuminati,
yet, seems evil, in disguise.
Voodoo traditions surrounding,
some of which, you may not know,
watch your step, with graves, abounding,
as you may cross paths, with Marie Laveau.




© 2010 justAnumber


Author's Note

justAnumber
Please keep in mind that I tried to uphold the meter while keeping the picture in mind as well. Thank you all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great job- I'm terrible at these shaped poems. :)
I do think that you should watch out for forcing rhymes-there were a couple of phrases where it felt like it had been difficult to find one, and it kind of disrupted the flow. However, I do think that this was well done. Nice job. :)

-Coral-

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ah The beautiful Cresent City! Je t'aime! No place like it in the world! Your piece did it justice and I found the shape intriguing, I've never seen it before! Bein Fait!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I am in AWE. Fantastic poem, incredible structure, absolutely marvelous. I see you are looking for criticism, but of this I have none. Bravo. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You did a good job. I liked it and the flow in my opinion and the shape of the poem. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this poem and the old city of New Orleans. I went to the city before and after the hurricane. It kept her mystery. I hope she come back to complete life. Few of our cities in the USA had the history and mystery of New Orleans. I like the feel and the story in the poem. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'd change "all inhabitants doomed" to "all dwellers are doomed." Cuts out a syllable to fix the metre without screwing with the length of the line. The first five lines are solid, but I'd change six or eight. I can't rhyme tow and allow without pronouncing one wrong. Bonus points for referencing The Illuminati.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You did a great job in maintaining the shape, overall i think you did a great job with this poem, i enjoyed it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


@Kristin Thank you for your constructive criticism. Marie Laveau was a notorious Voodoo Queen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau for more info.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


First off. The shape is so appealing. =D

This phrase really should be reworked. I hope you don't mind me honesty. But this just doesn't work. I know you are trying to get a rhyme in, but mess with this. you may have to find something else all together. But really rework it. i think it'll keep the poem strong. "gather do the crows"

keep in mind when you have one sour phrase or line it could really hurt the flow and feel of a whole poem and it'll stick out like a sour thumb to the reader. the only lines you want the reader to keep in mind are the powerful lines.

i adore the imagery. you did really well there.

just one question... who's marie laveau?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great job- I'm terrible at these shaped poems. :)
I do think that you should watch out for forcing rhymes-there were a couple of phrases where it felt like it had been difficult to find one, and it kind of disrupted the flow. However, I do think that this was well done. Nice job. :)

-Coral-

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I thought you did a good job with both.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 8, 2010
Last Updated on September 8, 2010

Author

justAnumber
justAnumber

Jeffersonville, IN



About
My scattered organization of thoughts. more..

Writing
Privy Privy

A Poem by justAnumber



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cold Cold

A Poem by HorrorMaster