Chapter 6: Trouble Brews

Chapter 6: Trouble Brews

A Chapter by Ariel Paiement

Amory grinned at his brother. “Andrew, do you really think you can keep me from doing whatever I want?” He sat down in the chair next to the desk, leaning back and clasping his hands behind his head, the picture of confidence.

To add the last touch to his confident aura, he propped his feet up on the glass surface of Andrew's desk, almost knocking over the statue of a stallion that Andrew had settled on the corner of the desk. 

It helped to relieve the monotony of the endless grey in the place, and it was the one personal touch he had afforded himself. It had been his mother's, and her father's before hers. She'd passed it to him before she'd died and left him and his brother, Amory, alone with their father, who quickly turned abusive. 

Amory knew how much the little blue statue meant to Andrew. He'd made certain that their father never saw it in one of his rages because both boys knew that their father would destroy anything that had been their mother's. He'd taken a punch to the face - earning a split lip - once just so that that Andrew would have time to hide the statue. Andrew had arrived at the door of his bedroom just in time to see it happen. He knew Amory knew what the statue meant to him. And yet, Amory had almost broken it. 

By the triumphant smile on his face, Amory had done it deliberately. 

Andrew didn’t smile back. He loved his older brother, but Amory had been getting out of hand. He was causing all sorts of trouble, and he was upending the no meddling policy of the MBC. Many of the agents were listening to him, and discord was growing. “Amory, I’ll lock you up if I must to keep you from continuing this nonsense. You know why we can’t meddle in human affairs.”

“Why, brother? Why not? We could rule the world if you wanted. Together, no one could stop us. Wouldn’t you like that?” Amory’s eyes glowed with fervor.

Andrew loved seeing his brother excited about something again, but he wasn’t happy with the reason for the excitement. Amory needed to have something to excite and interest him. Ever since he and Andrew had run away to join the MBC's Base here in the alternate reality known as West Gate, he had been beaten. Not in a literal or physical way. That part had ended when Amory decided to take Andrew away from their abusive father and run. But in a mental way, Amory had lost interest.

Andrew couldn’t understand why his vibrant brother had been so sullen when he found out Andrew had been appointed general. He had thought Amory would be happy with him. He’d lived and worked for this moment ever since they’d come to the MBC, and then Amory hadn’t been pleased. Back then, Andrew had been too blind to see it, but now he knew.

Amory had wanted that post. He believed that he, not his little brother, should be in charge of the MBC. He believed he should have been picked instead of Andrew.

Andrew sighed. “Amory, if we meddle in Earth affairs when it doesn’t concern the balance of magic, we risk meddling too far and tipping the balance to the Dark side.”

“Poor deceived boy.” Amory whispered, shaking his head.

Andrew started, wanting to strike back at his older brother for it. His eyes showed his pain and confusion, and Amory grinned, reveling in it. But Andrew didn’t strike back.

Instead, he spoke with calm poise as he sat down in his chair behind the desk. “What am I deceived about, Amory?”

“You’ll believe any half-baked, stupid lie that any one tells you just so long as it sounds good, you imbecile.” Amory hissed.

“Don’t forget, Amory,” Andrew reminded with a soft voice. “I am your superior officer. I could have you thrown into a cell if you insist on causing trouble.”

“You would throw that in my face. Andrew the brilliant! Everyone loves you. You became general. You make the decisions. had better follow or else you will throw me in jail!” Amory taunted.

His bitterness ran deeper than Andrew had expected. “It’s not like that, Amory. Just because you weren’t picked for general doesn’t mean people don’t like you. I’ve seen how the people I can’t deal with react to you. They respect you, and they listen to you because they like you. I can’t lead them well; you can.”

“Liar. You lead everyone well. Even the troublemakers respect you. When you give a command, they all jump to obey.” Amory sat up, a sneer on his face as he leaned in closer to his brother.

Andrew sighed, ignoring the close proximity his brother insisted on maintaining between them. “No, they don’t. Those who follow you rarely do as I say. They are completely yours. Amory, why not help me? The only way I can handle them is with your aid. So why withhold it?”

“Because you aren’t worth it, little brother!” Amory hissed, smiling. The smile never reached his blue eyes though, and Andrew felt chilled.

“You always used to tell me that I’d do great things, Amory. Remember that? You’d whisper it to me at night after father had beaten you for defending me. And you told me that when our little sister was taken to live with our mother and we were left. I remember, even if you don’t.

"And when we came here, you told me to try hard because for the first time, I had a chance to make something of myself. So I did. I tried hard, and I saw you give up. I tried hard, and I became general. But you weren’t happy or proud of me. All I wanted was just one smile, one pat on the back. Just one little gesture or word to let me know you approved of me. And what did I get instead? I got hostile, empty silence.”

“That’s right, Andrew. Blame it all on me. Anyone could see that you usurped what should have been mine. Was I supposed to praise you for it?” Amory snarled, his face red, an angry leer disfiguring his mouth.

Andrew felt his heart sink. His brother was cruel and hard now. He no longer knew who Amory was. “What happened to you, Amory? You used to be so loving… So kind… I used to be able to look up to you. Now though, you’ve lost all kindness and love. I can’t even talk to you without you exploding at me. Why are you so bitter?” Andrew asked.

His heart felt heavier with each word, and each one of his words seemed to fall on his ears like a death knell.

“I’m bitter because you destroyed me!” Amory shouted, standing up to pace the sparsely furnished room.

“That’s not fair or reasonable, Amory!” Andrew protested, pain filling him at his brother's words.

He had done all he could to succeed because Amory had told him to, because he had admired and loved his brother. And now, after he had succeeded, his brother hated him for it. Blamed him for it.

“Oh, yes it is, Andrew!”

Andrew turned away. His face set with determination. “Go away, Amory. Stop causing trouble, and don’t force me to put you under guard or in a cell.”

“Oh, I’ll leave all right! I can’t wait to leave. You know something, Andrew? You just don’t know how to lose once in a while so that others can have something they want too.” Amory spun to face his brother, his eyes glittering with rage.

Andrew ignored the comment. It stung, but he wasn’t going to respond to his brother. If he started talking, he’d break down and cry right in front of Amory. And weakness wasn’t something that Amory could see right now. He’d jump on it and bring Andrew down if he showed any hint of weakening.

Amory stormed out of the room, heading for his barrack.

***

When he got there, his best friend Bjorn Fjordell was the only one there. Bjorn looked up as Amory entered. Amory slammed the door and turned to Bjorn, eyes blazing.

“What’s up, man?” Bjorn asked.

“We’re leaving.” Amory gave a wicked grin. “My brother practically told me to. He also told me to stop causing trouble, but we’re not going to do that. Go spread the word quietly among our followers. I’m going to get some stuff before we leave. Tell them to be ready to move out quickly tomorrow morning around dawn. There won’t be much time.”

Amory glanced around the room, and then murmured, “We’re going to take East Gate over, and then we’re going to rule the world. See how my bratty little brother likes that, eh?”

Bjorn laughed. “Aye. We’ll see how your snot-nosed brother likes that, alright. I bet he comes crying and begging for mercy when we’re through.”

“I hope so.” Amory rubbed his hands together, glee lighting his eyes where a moment before rage had shone. Amory’s jaw clenched in a way that Bjorn had learned all too well meant trouble. His eyes lit with fire and brimstone. “Indeed we will, Andrew. Indeed we will,” He whispered.



© 2018 Ariel Paiement


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on January 13, 2018
Last Updated on January 13, 2018


Author

Ariel Paiement
Ariel Paiement

About
Ariel Paiement is a fiction author of fantasy and the occasional historical fiction or science fiction novel. She enjoys all ranges of books and writing when it comes to reading, though fantasy and sc.. more..

Writing
Note Note

A Chapter by Ariel Paiement