Cafe Lament

Cafe Lament

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Some would like to make you believe that a blazing competition Is something you should all avoid as if the fires were perdition

"


Self portrait


What was it made this place so great

in the days so long gone now

For me it was competition

that kept the sweat upon my brow

 

Some would like to make you believe

that a blazing competition

Is something you should all avoid

as if the fires were perdition

 

We do ourselves a disservice

claiming competition is greed

By leveling the playing field

why would we struggle, stress or bleed

 

Without the trying forge of pain

that angst and toil bring to our lives

There just is no reason to work

on all the wonders that it drives

 

Competition is what rules life

both in nature and creation

It is what made this country great

sowing seeds of our foundation

 

I for one think we are poorer

having lost the edge to excel

Whereby what we once called heaven

has become our personal hell

 

Don’t wonder where your friends have gone

it’s just they miss the old cafe

A refuge from life’s petty fights

where they could kindly spend their day




 


$12.50





$12.50

© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I once asked little Drake Cooper how his soccer team was doing."Terrible" He said."I go to Montisory for gifted students.laughs Yea he said the problem is we aren't allowed to say anything to the guys who won't play hard. For fear they will develop syndromes". Sad isn't it we cannot ask excellence of our children or demand it of ourselves for fear it might cause issues. The truth is excellence is hard work and those who are willing to undertake it reap its benefits. 1 part inspiration 99 parts perspiration. As a horseman competition was the lifeblood of my life. It is such a shame that we once were so engaged in the job of excellence that we actually kissed the moon. Nowadays we are content it would seem to leave our children to the mercy of the mean streets. Corporate America has no mercy for those who fall behind. Neither does nature. We were once the preeminent writing site. That because we demanded excellence from each other. I for one do not believe finishing 3rd is winning. We do our children a real disservice by awarding them trophies for participation. It is for those who struggle sweat and persevere to be honored for their accomplishments and write their name on the wall of human achievement. What will we do in the future? Will we continue to look back to the days when we went to the moon with no more than a slide rule? Or will we build on those accomplishments by sacrificing for the future generations in the hope they too will kindle the flame of human curiosity to slip the surly bonds of earth put out their hand and touch the face of God?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Never a truer word spoken, Tate. So very noticeable in schools these days that the competitive nature has been deliberately blunted so that under achievers won't feel a sense of failure. Unfortunately, as against that view, the world out there is a marketplace where everyone jostles for success and recognition, and if you're not prepared for it, then fail you will. They're doing our kids a disservice by neutralising their competitive spirit.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I personally don't like being competitive with my poetry. I write it for me....because I want to express something or tell a story. It's wonderful to get reviews from talented poets, that's true, but if the site turned into a huge competition, there would be a lot of hard feelings and friendships would be destroyed. If someone wants competition, they can enter a contest. There are many on the site. Your opinion is well expressed here and the rhyming is very good. Lydi*

Posted 10 Years Ago


I have to disagree whole heartedly...a lot of things in life may be a competition, but poetry is not one of those things. What is the purpose here, to write a poem others might enjoy reading or go in with the intent to "one up" someone else and prove I am king of something? Sorry, I don't agree.

They removed the Top Writers page because a few decided to start a loud argumentive and name calling campaign against it and they were wrong for doings so, but I didn't miss it when it was gone and I don't miss it now.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Posted 10 Years Ago


great poem Tate, enjoyed buddy.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I never consideration this all a competition because in most competitions there are rules to be adhered to. There is no rhyme or reason to what people respond to on this site so one must be primarily satisfied with the knowledge that what he/she has written and posted meets their our standards. In othe rowrds...there's no accounting for taste. Your friend in words, Pete

Posted 10 Years Ago


I absolutely agree, although I suppose I'm throwing stones from a glass house. But still, one of the reasons I left this site for a while wasn't that I didn't think my work was being appreciated, it was that I felt like everything people posted was getting equally positive reviews. If I post something crumby I don't care if people bash it. If I post something that I think is good I want people to like it, but either way I don't just want people to flatter me. I read your things Tate, because I like them. At any rate, I'm not saying that we should bash anyone's writing, but I think that writers on this site should feel a degree of competition, and should review each others work with a degree of honesty. If I write a review, and it isn't pleasant, it's because I respect you enough to assume that you have a thick skin.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I will agree with you there Tate, for the most part all of life is one great big competition, here I tend to compete with myself, although it's oh so nice to be recognized and get those kudos, it's the icing on poetry so to speak...well said.

Posted 10 Years Ago


" The Man who never alters his opinion is like standing water,and breeds reptiles of the mind."
William Blake

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great Greek Orator once said, nothing is as it was, but it always as a beautiful shine in the memory of days past.


Now of course there is a bit of jealousy, bit of banter, but sometimes it needs to happen, wouldnt be fun,what?

Posted 10 Years Ago


For the most part, I agree. Competition can be a great fuel for improvement. But like everything, there is needs to be speed pedal for sure. Otherwise, we'd burn each other to cinders. Great write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ahh this is so true Tate and it isn't just something that happens on this site. And yes people come back with different ID's for whatever reasons.
You're right, life is all about competition. I think that taking it to extremes is when we become mean spirited people. There is usually something good in what everyone does, says or writes. Search and we find the good(sometimes can be hard).
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading this. Sure made me think.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3464 Views
80 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on January 20, 2018
Tags: poetry

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..