Cafe Lament

Cafe Lament

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Some would like to make you believe that a blazing competition Is something you should all avoid as if the fires were perdition

"


Self portrait


What was it made this place so great

in the days so long gone now

For me it was competition

that kept the sweat upon my brow

 

Some would like to make you believe

that a blazing competition

Is something you should all avoid

as if the fires were perdition

 

We do ourselves a disservice

claiming competition is greed

By leveling the playing field

why would we struggle, stress or bleed

 

Without the trying forge of pain

that angst and toil bring to our lives

There just is no reason to work

on all the wonders that it drives

 

Competition is what rules life

both in nature and creation

It is what made this country great

sowing seeds of our foundation

 

I for one think we are poorer

having lost the edge to excel

Whereby what we once called heaven

has become our personal hell

 

Don’t wonder where your friends have gone

it’s just they miss the old cafe

A refuge from life’s petty fights

where they could kindly spend their day




 


$12.50





$12.50

© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I once asked little Drake Cooper how his soccer team was doing."Terrible" He said."I go to Montisory for gifted students.laughs Yea he said the problem is we aren't allowed to say anything to the guys who won't play hard. For fear they will develop syndromes". Sad isn't it we cannot ask excellence of our children or demand it of ourselves for fear it might cause issues. The truth is excellence is hard work and those who are willing to undertake it reap its benefits. 1 part inspiration 99 parts perspiration. As a horseman competition was the lifeblood of my life. It is such a shame that we once were so engaged in the job of excellence that we actually kissed the moon. Nowadays we are content it would seem to leave our children to the mercy of the mean streets. Corporate America has no mercy for those who fall behind. Neither does nature. We were once the preeminent writing site. That because we demanded excellence from each other. I for one do not believe finishing 3rd is winning. We do our children a real disservice by awarding them trophies for participation. It is for those who struggle sweat and persevere to be honored for their accomplishments and write their name on the wall of human achievement. What will we do in the future? Will we continue to look back to the days when we went to the moon with no more than a slide rule? Or will we build on those accomplishments by sacrificing for the future generations in the hope they too will kindle the flame of human curiosity to slip the surly bonds of earth put out their hand and touch the face of God?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Never a truer word spoken, Tate. So very noticeable in schools these days that the competitive nature has been deliberately blunted so that under achievers won't feel a sense of failure. Unfortunately, as against that view, the world out there is a marketplace where everyone jostles for success and recognition, and if you're not prepared for it, then fail you will. They're doing our kids a disservice by neutralising their competitive spirit.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Tate, did you choose this song simply because it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written,or was there some deeper meaning...?As to the poem, I don't care anything about competition, and you shouldn' either...

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well your fully aware of my views there Tate my Brother... we write, because we love it. The social scene is just that, a venue to get attention. Good or bad, the button is there, and people'll push it. Concentrate on those that are supportive and love to write... leave those that are gaining attention through negativity, to themselves... and Write On / Right On! To compete on who can be the most evil, wicked, mean and nasty... is pointless.

Nice header pic for your books Tate :) Love ya Bro
Ro @ Windhorse

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"They miss the old café." What was it like, I wonder? I haven't been here long enough to comment on present day activities, but I'm happy to say that I am not in competition with anyone but myself! You expressed your feelings nicely in your writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the honesty and intensity you put into this piece, Tate - your passion shows, and is admirable.

Competition definitely has its place - especially in areas that have definite winners/losers - sports, games, contests, etc. I feel that art is different. The best driving force for art in any form - painting, music, writing... - is feedback. I know this is true as a teacher - I do not "give" grades - they are earned. No, I do NOT teach in a Montessori school!) :) If I announced a competition in story writing, only a few students would bother working any harder. However, when I work with all students, giving feedback and honest critique, they ALL show improvement and drive.
Some people need to compete - and that is fine. I understand that. But I know that I have grown as a writer here, because I know that someone whom I admire will be reading what I write.
I do miss the old Cafe, though - but I don't know how to get it back...

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love your self portrait Tate...Since i have only been here since the end of March...I really can't compare the cafe to the cafe years ago...I wasn't here...but have met a lot of nice people here...I enjoy writing everyday or just reading and reviewing....Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great poem Tate and I do agree competition is a beautiful thing. I'm not to sure if I ever competed directly with any writers on this site but I do like to aim for the top of the Popular writing list. I miss it most of the time and that's okay. Christ If I could write something everyone loved all the time I'd be some hotshot published author with a gazzilion dollar mansion full of hot chicks just like that geriatric fossil Hugh Hefner and all he did was take pictures of naked girls! I gotta do it the hard way and be a writer. What the hell is wrong with me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I enjoy competition in some settings. Games, contests, etc. I originally came to the Cafe to improve my writing. I wanted to learn and share with other poets. The only place competion should be happening in the Cafe is when someone enters a writing contest. It should be used as a tool for growth, expanding the comfort zone of a writer. I see this place as a place to meet like minded people and share in the love we all have. Poetry and writing. I am saddened to see all the strife here. There is no need for it at all. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

The only person I compete with is myself.. generally, I dislike competition. I think it creates egotistical people who look down on others, at least that has been my own personal experience with "winners".
I like to have fun and when fun becomes a competition, it is ruined for me. That is why I no longer play games or cards or chess.. I just don't have the same competitive drive as others.

Posted 10 Years Ago


well i am back... and Noodle, but it seems so lonely here just now....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So very sad words here but unfortunately true...
I haven't been here for very long
Yet recently I noticed the throng
Biting bickering doing each other wrong
Please, can't we all just get along?

Posted 10 Years Ago



8
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3454 Views
80 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on January 20, 2018
Tags: poetry

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..