Shackleton

Shackleton

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Article London Times : Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.

"
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/11/23/timestopics/topics_shackleton_395.jpg
Sir Ernest Shackleton
Speaking for myself I have to say this man was the greatest adventurer of all time. He led an expedition to cross the Antarctic in 1914. Plagued by hardship was frozen in. Managed by shear will and dogged cussedness to bring all his men out alive some 20 months later. His expedition came as close as any ever did to seeing the naked soul of mankind.


True success known by oh so few

who have held its taste so dear

Becoming one's most loving friend

as well as the thing they most fear

 

Is success so overwhelming

or reflection's failure you dread

Have a mind to be tested here

before on your fears you are fed

 

It's not he thinking better not

who will be served life’s greatest dish

Only a man who risks his pride

can dream of dining on his wish

 

Whichever man you choose to be

in this lifetime as in the next

Will lay foundation for the others

who study you and feel perplexed

 

The man who sees his limits dashed

rendered from toil of sweat and tears

Is he who has lived more in life

than most will know in all their years

 






© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
A man among men he was the greatest adventurer of all time. Managing with 5 of his men a final 800 mile sail in a open dingy over the roaring forties in the Southern Ocean. Using dead reckoning and only two sightings in over two weeks sail. Fought starvation and frostbite through the fifty foot waves and storms. To land successfully on a tiny sliver of an Island called South Georgia. Then went back and save all his men. His sail and subsequent crossing of the interior of South Georgia island on foot,was miraculous. So much so the disbelieving whalers there rescued the tiny boat from the far side of the island. Carrying it on their shoulders, as if it were the Ark of the Covenant.
Returning to England he has always been a light to men. Those who seek adventure and purpose from the daring and dignity of their lives. His efforts to not only save oneself. But to pick up and carry his comrades home to safety as well. Stories told of him from the survivors of the Scott expedition say his character was kind and conciliatory to men of all walks. One man remarked" We were starving. None had eaten anything in 5 days. Shackleton forced his last biscuit upon me. Even though he too was starving. A man can't imagine the magninamity of such a act, who's never experianced it. But I shall never forget it!" He was to this man at least one of the greatest men who ever drew breath.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love stories like this and was most moved by it. Despite mankind's many faults and short-comings, this tale of strength, dedication and honor begs one to argue our worthiness. If, one day, God says "Show me why I should let mankind go on," I should like for him to be told about Sir Ernest Shackleton.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great stanzas here choosing my favorite was too painful:

"The man who sees his limits dashed
rendered from toil of sweat and tears
Is he who has lived more in life
than most will know in all their years"

You are amazingly talented Tate. This was a thrilling read from the first syllable to the very last. I felt every word and may we seek all the success our souls desire. But sparingly mind you...well-written!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This makes me want to read more about him and how courageous he was!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Really good poem, it captures the sense of Shackleton's journey. My wife and I rented the A&E version of the film and I feel that captured the whole journey really well. You seem to have done your research and you are to be commended. If you want to see an accurate telling of the story on film check out Shackleton the A&E production on DVD. It is two disc and each disc is about 90 minutes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The determination, i cant even imagine. What a Man, what a journey.
Such an inspiration.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
. an immensely inspiring verse (poem) ... the sad part is that we all know we have it in us to triumph over the debilitating deterrents ... but we need these reminders ... we need to remember ... to revisit ... to rekindle courage ... you play an important part in the reader's journey ... with skill and sensitivity ... an amazingly insightful read ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


this an amazing piece...
one of your personally most favored!
i like it!
keep it coming will ye?

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the old style to this poem, it is so much what poetry should be...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You really got into this man's history in the sentiments in this poem ... It's obvious that he is very inspirational to you. I can't imagine being so brave.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Most definately a very touching tribute. I find the second stanza to be rather moving.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This has an abundance of character in it... it's just a very real piece... sometimes I get impatient in dissecting symbolism and complex thought (durrr... ;) but I find it to be pleasant with your poems. Very good :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6250 Views
108 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 16, 2010
Last Updated on May 16, 2018
Tags: poetry, adventure, love, poem, life, pain, sad.story, heart, death, Sad, mystery, romance, story, fantasy, fiction

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..