Shackleton

Shackleton

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Article London Times : Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.

"
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/11/23/timestopics/topics_shackleton_395.jpg
Sir Ernest Shackleton
Speaking for myself I have to say this man was the greatest adventurer of all time. He led an expedition to cross the Antarctic in 1914. Plagued by hardship was frozen in. Managed by shear will and dogged cussedness to bring all his men out alive some 20 months later. His expedition came as close as any ever did to seeing the naked soul of mankind.


True success known by oh so few

who have held its taste so dear

Becoming one's most loving friend

as well as the thing they most fear

 

Is success so overwhelming

or reflection's failure you dread

Have a mind to be tested here

before on your fears you are fed

 

It's not he thinking better not

who will be served life’s greatest dish

Only a man who risks his pride

can dream of dining on his wish

 

Whichever man you choose to be

in this lifetime as in the next

Will lay foundation for the others

who study you and feel perplexed

 

The man who sees his limits dashed

rendered from toil of sweat and tears

Is he who has lived more in life

than most will know in all their years

 






© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
A man among men he was the greatest adventurer of all time. Managing with 5 of his men a final 800 mile sail in a open dingy over the roaring forties in the Southern Ocean. Using dead reckoning and only two sightings in over two weeks sail. Fought starvation and frostbite through the fifty foot waves and storms. To land successfully on a tiny sliver of an Island called South Georgia. Then went back and save all his men. His sail and subsequent crossing of the interior of South Georgia island on foot,was miraculous. So much so the disbelieving whalers there rescued the tiny boat from the far side of the island. Carrying it on their shoulders, as if it were the Ark of the Covenant.
Returning to England he has always been a light to men. Those who seek adventure and purpose from the daring and dignity of their lives. His efforts to not only save oneself. But to pick up and carry his comrades home to safety as well. Stories told of him from the survivors of the Scott expedition say his character was kind and conciliatory to men of all walks. One man remarked" We were starving. None had eaten anything in 5 days. Shackleton forced his last biscuit upon me. Even though he too was starving. A man can't imagine the magninamity of such a act, who's never experianced it. But I shall never forget it!" He was to this man at least one of the greatest men who ever drew breath.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love stories like this and was most moved by it. Despite mankind's many faults and short-comings, this tale of strength, dedication and honor begs one to argue our worthiness. If, one day, God says "Show me why I should let mankind go on," I should like for him to be told about Sir Ernest Shackleton.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i'm sort of a shy person and i've only recently realized how much my lack of boldness has hindered my development in some aspects. but i have been doing what i can to change my ways. for example, a few months ago i never would have even dreamed of posting my writing online. it just would have made me feel to vulnerable and open to the criticism and ridicule of others at the time. now i realize that it's one of the only avenues for improvement. "only a man who risks his pride can dream of dining on his wish." the poem encourages us to be adventurous and confident in our own abilities; i like that.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Fantastic! This is my favorite part:

It's not he thinking better not
who will be served life’s greatest dish
Only a man who risks his pride
can dream of dining on his wish

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love stories like this and was most moved by it. Despite mankind's many faults and short-comings, this tale of strength, dedication and honor begs one to argue our worthiness. If, one day, God says "Show me why I should let mankind go on," I should like for him to be told about Sir Ernest Shackleton.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow very moving and inspiring! You have a way with words

Posted 14 Years Ago


This deeply moving,
and touching.
Great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very touching and deep. The writing was very inspiring and the music was a very nice touch. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Only a man who risks his pride
can dream of dining on his wish

Yes, success can be got only when one is willing to conquer his pride. A meaningful poem on success in life. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


ah! sweet success! a curse for some who's lost their lives to succeed at what others couldn't.
this piece was very inspiring. and the song went magnificiently.
the way your words worked together was just beautiful!
this piece is what i call a success, one in which a thousand words couldn't quite grasp.
wonderful write my friend.
Kathleen

Posted 14 Years Ago


Dear Tate,

You probably know how much I like poetry with a meaty background. So this starts out already with very high expectations. And your words do not disappoint. Your words are as lofty and heroic as the man about which they are written. So well done and congratulations. This is an excellent poem, which was ever so greatly enjoyed.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6255 Views
108 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 16, 2010
Last Updated on May 16, 2018
Tags: poetry, adventure, love, poem, life, pain, sad.story, heart, death, Sad, mystery, romance, story, fantasy, fiction

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..