Voyages

Voyages

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

My life has been a voyage from start to finish.

"

 

 

 

My life on the outward journey

so far off I had not a clue

Leagues and leagues yet to go

passed the rum with the rest of the crew

 

For many a year the winds blew favor

upon my life’s journey and quest

Stopped at many a port in the storm

but for few, have forgotten the rest

 

Many the souls with which I started

at a score plus maybe three years

Have fallen prey to life's rough way

washed to sea along with their tears

 

Wind swept decks of my old ship

where I've lived, loved and wept

Well-worn friends who shared my fate

rode the seas on which we slept

 

It came one night there were fewer days

ahead than there had been behind

Found myself gazing to morning light

toward homes loving ties that bind

 

But the sea between here and there

be rough like the tempest shrew

Fighting the wind to sail the waves

tossed and thrown in the churning brew

 

Keeping the bow pointed for home

with the wind or against as we tack

Push for port through the fading light

look ahead and never look back

 

I turn for port thinking of you

as voyages end where they start

Time this sailor found his way home

to touch the warmth of hearth and heart




  $12.50




© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I pray all I am, all I may ever be, can be found in the hearts of those I have loved.
And who have dared to love me. As in the times of the ancient mariner we all hear the call of sirens that gesture us to sail home. Continuity of purpose flows from the wellspring of our lives. In the end we all find we are drawn inexorably home, to the hearth from around which we told our tales of long ago and spun our yarns of a life well lived. The well spent life will always beckon from the winds of change a call for home.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a wonderful poem, beautiful words but so much more buried beneath them. There really is something in comparing life with sailing the high seas, weathering storms, lying in the doldrums and all that .. and of course, the proximity of people you live and love amongst ..

'Keeping the bow pointed for home with the wind or against as we tack ~ Push for port through the fading light looking ahead and never look back'

Think this is one of your best .. love it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is one of the most touching works I have ever read on WC. I gladly awarded it 3rd place in my Love My Homeland contest. Everytime I read it I cry. I just love this, and I love you my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Toyr words speak of true life. Of humanity as it once was, should be. Like those greats before you, your pen is truly golden my friend. No matter what is out there, you shall shine your light for all of us and I will search for it and know you have arrived to where you are meant to be..
So loved this.. I bow to your brilliance sir!

Mags xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can see now why sailors are usually such insightful people, the sea is so similar to life.
What an awesome message, i still dont know how you can potray what you mean so well.
River

Posted 13 Years Ago


aw this has a really good message. again, the lack of punctuation bothered me, but i guess that's just how you write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful, as everyone else has stated. I like the Old School charm in your poetry. Your words are always well chosen, and none seem to stick out. They go along with the mood very well. Your rhyme scheme is rare indeed, for contemporary poetry. I agree with you that life is one big voyage. There are many quests that are a part of that voyage. You state that very eloquently in this poem.
"It came one night there were fewer days
ahead than there had been behind
Found myself gazing to morning light
toward homes loving ties that bind"
The first two lines of this staza really fascinated me. The words are so simple, yet the effect is so profound. Really great!

"I dream to dock to disembark
in the beloved arms I adore"
These two lines have a great rhythm. They are mellifluous. The whole of the next stanza, too, is captivating. Not a word seems out of place.

"But the sea between here and there
be rough like the tempest shrew
Fighting the wind to sail the waves
tossed and thrown in the churning brew"

And the conclusion, as always, is the icing on the cake. Your poems always have strong conclusions. The best thing about them is that they are simple, and yet profound.

"I turn for home thinking of you
my voyages end where they start
Time this sailor found his way home
to touch your loving hearth and heart"
Awesome stanza.

Like all your poems that I have read, this one is extremely well written too! Great work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree completely with Emma - this was one of your's that had much more between the lines than I think I, or anyone can find. However, I am certain it is the case with every writer, especially in writing poetry, because I think all can hope for is that the reader somehow feels moved by what we write, or can relate to it somehow, in some unique way. It sort of amazes me how abstract this is just because I think it is so difficult to do with this form of prose. You seem to have this remarkable ability to overcome all possible limitations despite the lyricism in your words, and that is not as easy for all - so it is truly remarkable to me. I did get the sense that this is in reflection of the past, but can't be sure I know what's is beneath every line in this piece. You are like one of those great writers who people will be dissecting for years :) Really nice job Tate!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMW
I couldn't agree more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


so beautiful Put me in tears i think we all want this to be so. and we all have travled a long long Journey in this life seems all we indure it happens for a reason and in time we understand why its happened and seems if we had a chance to doit again we would'nt change a thing. Great work here

Posted 13 Years Ago


What a wonderful poem, beautiful words but so much more buried beneath them. There really is something in comparing life with sailing the high seas, weathering storms, lying in the doldrums and all that .. and of course, the proximity of people you live and love amongst ..

'Keeping the bow pointed for home with the wind or against as we tack ~ Push for port through the fading light looking ahead and never look back'

Think this is one of your best .. love it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
a
A true poetic musing!

Thank you!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9938 Views
79 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 8, 2010
Last Updated on September 20, 2018
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sleepwalk Sleepwalk

A Poem by Robin


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT