Life's Purpose

Life's Purpose

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

My duty in this life is clear pass love from the child within me Along with prayers from those that died for all the hopes of things to be

"



My rendition of my grandfather Eddie and Freddie Volo graphite on canvas


Each day I wonder why I'm here

is it to fill what love requires

Or is there much more to my life

than all the joys my heart desires

 

I have been the emissary

of ancestors who came and went

My purpose lay within the genes

that through life and death they have sent

 

As thousands struggled lived and died

they entrusted within my soul

Hopes and dreams from generations

that led family in life's goal

 

My duty in this life is clear

pass love from the child within me

Along with prayers from those who've died

for the hopes of things that might be

 

While I tie my child to the past

going back to antiquity

He takes me into the future

granting us immortality



© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I have often thought that a fathers job lay not only in his ability to provide.It is to enlighten your children with love of life. With that in mind I feel it important that we pass old wisdom's to the new. Time has a way of wearing us down. The old recriminations seem to ring out hollow as we ourselves become polished by the winds of time. In that end we see that enlightenment shows bright upon the simple truths that society masks and hides. We are here to succeed in life. Not monetarily but by producing a better version of us each time. Darwin would be proud. However to me Humanity has transcended the boundary of sentient thought. Leaving us a greater purpose that of carrying our brother along with us on life's journey.
Yesterday was the 20th running of the memorial race for my grandfather Eddie.may he rest in peace.
They don't make those men anymore!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

you make many good and important points in this, the whole thing is excellent

Posted 13 Years Ago


Now what do you think I am going to say about this, huh? First let me say.. Oh my that pic!!!!!! Fab darlin!

Now to the piece.. WOW.. This flipped me out. Your words, images, all brought such memories to my mind. Of my children, all four that are my heart, my soul, my very existence. I live through them, just as your beautiful piece says, it holds such truth my friend. That is what all of us love about you. Your work has meaning, faith, worth. And all is not lost on anyone that takes the time to look upon these words. For in the end, when that last word has been sent into our thoughts, we then look back and remember, to a time of our lives when we too felt such an emotion.

Bravo!!

I bow to you!

Mags xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


"My duty in this life is clear
pass love from the child within me
Along with prayers from those that died
for all the hopes of things to be"

My favorite passage.:) However, the ending was what made this piece for me. I also believe we live on forever in our children. Loving them, teaching them, guiding them, standing beside them. Embedding our faith and joy, our wishes and dreams, sometimes without even knowing we are doing so. What we share, especially if it is done through selflessness and kindness lives on. I work with children, I see in their eyes everyday the amount of influence their parents, myself and the world has on them. I see in their faces all the things we could do, the places we could go, if we all but shared what we know.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this was really good outstanding job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is profound and well written. Very solid, hard-hitting rhyme scheme which gives the poem a chunky, satisfying feel. I notice that in each verse, a particular sound dominates throughout... Verse 1, for example, uses the "f" sound prominently, in Verse 2, it's the soft "i" sound, in Verse 3, the soft "e", and so on. These are all soft sounds, and they give each verse a sort of dreaminess which contrasts with the chunky rhyme scheme, as well as tying each verse together, each verse reading like a single sentence (at least, to me). Very coherent. I'm not sure if your use of sounds in this way is intentional, in which case, it is very sophisticated writing, or subconscious, in which case, you have a very highly developed feel for language. Either way, it's excellent. Just a thought, but I think you could lose the first verse without hurting the poem at all. First verse is OK but not as strong as the rest of the poem and I think it would be neater and stronger if it started at "Each day...", but that is a totally personal thing. This poem is overall very classic in style, quite old-school, and the subject matter is intense which gives the poem depth, but very nicely expressed, light enough to be a contemplation, a consideration of serious matters, but without being overly intense or self-indulgent. I hope this makes sense!! lol. I really like this poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


really good I like it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very strong and powerful poem! I love every word of it, This one here I can say really stands out and is very strong. It brings tears to my eyes. I love it and think this is a great piece, you written this very well thank you for sharing
~Bridget~

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow this one could make me cry! i have a son who is 3 months without a mom or anything to support him.
maybe one of the first poems that really could bring tears. i love it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


We are the gifts our parents give to us .. sometimes wonderful and precious, sometimes sad and wretched; whatever those gifts are, we surely have to 'enlighten' children with a love of life .. and of course, love.

An emotional write .. 'Faith is a fine invention ~ that plays within us safe and warm ~ I hope that it will make death wait ~ till I have weathered through life's storm '


Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
lol at the picture!! it stood out at me! but the sentiments are powerful - the idea of living on through successors - carrying on the legacy - true immortality perhaps - in spirit and name!!! nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9867 Views
132 Reviews
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on February 21, 2011
Last Updated on April 24, 2021
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Alice blue Alice blue

A Poem by Robin


Sub Rosa Sub Rosa

A Poem by .


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


I I

A Poem by Robin