Life's Purpose

Life's Purpose

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

My duty in this life is clear pass love from the child within me Along with prayers from those that died for all the hopes of things to be

"



My rendition of my grandfather Eddie and Freddie Volo graphite on canvas


Each day I wonder why I'm here

is it to fill what love requires

Or is there much more to my life

than all the joys my heart desires

 

I have been the emissary

of ancestors who came and went

My purpose lay within the genes

that through life and death they have sent

 

As thousands struggled lived and died

they entrusted within my soul

Hopes and dreams from generations

that led family in life's goal

 

My duty in this life is clear

pass love from the child within me

Along with prayers from those who've died

for the hopes of things that might be

 

While I tie my child to the past

going back to antiquity

He takes me into the future

granting us immortality



© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I have often thought that a fathers job lay not only in his ability to provide.It is to enlighten your children with love of life. With that in mind I feel it important that we pass old wisdom's to the new. Time has a way of wearing us down. The old recriminations seem to ring out hollow as we ourselves become polished by the winds of time. In that end we see that enlightenment shows bright upon the simple truths that society masks and hides. We are here to succeed in life. Not monetarily but by producing a better version of us each time. Darwin would be proud. However to me Humanity has transcended the boundary of sentient thought. Leaving us a greater purpose that of carrying our brother along with us on life's journey.
Yesterday was the 20th running of the memorial race for my grandfather Eddie.may he rest in peace.
They don't make those men anymore!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

Thought provoking piece and I enjoyed reading it. I agree with you; we pass the old wisdom to the new generations. We are the link between past and future.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A good sincere poem linking the family ties, and the lifeblood of ancestors in time immemorial.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Or is there much more to my life
than all the joys my heart desires"

A powerful and thought provoking opening to this poem. Each individual may want to achieve or do so many different things in their life...they don't know where to start or what direction to take... but I do think that once there is a child in the picture things become clearer. Teaching, guiding, loving...passing what has been learrnt to new generations...

Beautiful poem


Posted 13 Years Ago


"While I tie my child to the past

going back to antiquity"

There's nothing new under the sun they say. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


There is much wisdom in this. I look at my own children and measure their success (or mine as a mother) not by the jobs they hold or the possessions they've accumulated. Their worth is so much more than that....it is the goodness within them...their ability to love and be loved. I see them share their love and feel that I will go on. I don't know if I am interpreting what you're saying correctly, but I love the message and meaning that I take from your poem. Beautifully written my friend!

Posted 13 Years Ago


THis is wonderful work from a fathers perspective. It is coated in love for ones child. I like it. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TAO
Ah... You know, I often times envy those of you with children. Sometimes, reading your work makes me think of what kind of father I'd be. It inspires a longing to have what you have, though, I'll not say that it is...covetous...(as I'm in no position to raise a child). Tate Morgan, this piece is a blessing; there are so many current, and future, parents that should read this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree wholeheartedly with you. I think we have to tread lightly and make sure that the wisdom we pass on is the right wisdom and not just tired rhetoric that tends to cause damage. To keep on growing as a person at whatever age is a blessing, and we can learn alot form those youngsters....more than we could possible imagine. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very touching, loving, passionate piece of writing. I really enjoyed reading this. Very beautiful indeed, Tate.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very good Tate. Thanks for telling me about your new poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9867 Views
132 Reviews
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on February 21, 2011
Last Updated on April 24, 2021
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Alice blue Alice blue

A Poem by Robin


Sub Rosa Sub Rosa

A Poem by .


Sleepwalk Sleepwalk

A Poem by Robin


I I

A Poem by Robin





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5