A Young Mans Dreams

A Young Mans Dreams

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

So with a pocket full of dreams I traced the river as it flowed More like a stray finding his way I departed the winding road

"

Me back when I was a horseman. Circa early 90s



I hardly remembered my dad

from the time when I was a boy

When he left we were all bereft

there alone to fend for our joy

 

So with a pocket full of dreams

I traced the river as it flowed

More like a stray finding his way

I departed the winding road

 

I went out to try my fortune

and find the father I had lost

How I would grow I didn't know

investing my youth was the cost

 

He was a man of single mind

who would rule with an iron fist

Much was my fear when he was near

that I would make it to his list

 

 

After many years we parted

as I developed my own ways

Never dull my life is grateful

to have had those wonder filled days

 

Tate














Available Now





Available Now



© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
The life of a horseman is a tough road.The track is the crossroads . Where a man goes to mortgage his soul to the devil for success. It is where the last refuge of the illiterate met the dregs of humanity. Many if not all of us there were at odds with life. From there we all plied our trades, tested our mettle, and grew to manhood. Life as it has always been presented to me was a struggle. But to a young man who had the advantage of 6 generations of predecessors, it was a river of humanity running free. Just as the wind that blew across my cheek each race. Every day the races allowed a man to redeem himself from the day before. To be reborn each and every night. I love the adventure my life has been. And think we all love the feeling of climbing aboard a horse and melding our powers with theirs. Becoming a hybrid of flesh and steel. Increasing our powers ten fold. To be for all intensive purposes a god for a couple minutes. The track for a young man is such a place. It is a microcosm of both the world we live in, and the world of the past that our ancestors lived in. With salvation at the end of the rainbow. At 18 I set out to find the world I had lost. I held 50 dollars to my name. Little did I know I was in for a adventure Ali Baba would have envied.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this poem, Tate. It is so reflective, sad and yet at the same time hopeful. I especially liked the way you snuck that internal rhyme into the third line of all but the last stanza. Very effective!
Notes (on your Note); "mettle", "Ali Baba".

Posted 13 Years Ago


What an icredible poem (Mr. Morgan? Write well? No shock there :P)! I love how you personified youth as a price and how dreams can't be tarnished, no matter what you're put through. Excellent work Mr. Morgan.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Alli Baba , yes...but as my eys ran the paths this poem took me on, I came across Sinbad, who had left Basra, on his eighth adventure..and found the treasures of experience in place of those of Alexander, in the last stanza.

enjoyed

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think the writing fit the song on this one. A nice write as well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


LOL "[an] adventure [Ali Baba] would have entered!" That is one of the most creative ways I've heard of summarizing their life. This was, in a word, excellent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh wow, this is full of strength, yet tones of sadness...I like the message within this piece. You tell it very well...wonderfully expressed...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Tate, is that you or your dad in the picture? I know 6 generations of your family raced..Sad to go out to find your dad and come upon a man who was single minded..but to some racing is their life and with your brilliant word usage,,it doesn't seem to have hurt you any..I love your writings..lola nd God bless..Kathie

Posted 13 Years Ago


It seems like you had more than enough to deal with, when you was a child. It's good that you found something to pass the days by with.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Seems at 18teen even if we are still with family we do have to go out learn and explore the world we do end up correcting our wrongs when we are hurting or mislead by pain we make misakes but i learned that as a teen our brain isn't fully developed until we become a adult so now i know way we do some dumb things but it helps us learn but our mistakes are like teachers this takes me back to my teens i feel bad my mom had problems conroling me i was very attachted to my dad a dddies girl he had a rough like lota his life and cause i was hurt from pain in my childhood i was very impatient not all the time but i would hold in my emotions thats why i turned to poetry and praying to my heavenly father he was the only one i felt comfortable to open up to but my grandpa my dads dad was like a dad one of my heros now God is more my hero but now i look back and know i was growing and learning i protect ny heart but i am still loving many see that light i am honoured to read this life can be steping stones lessions and they will mold us and make us who we are today as God does the same he is always molding us mistakes help us learn and from experince if we learn we gain wisdom i feel that it would be the same if we did it all ovr again cause we wouldn't be who we are today we have lessions and mistakes for that reason.

i truely loved this life is a adventure never know what plan God has for us he our daddy watching seeing how we deal with things i know he did when i explored didn't bother me it's same as us we know as chidren we must grow and we have to allow our children to grow up to be brave strong and to make the wiser choices in life. loved this write Bravo sorry this so long Shalom. lily

Posted 13 Years Ago


I raised myself much of the time since the time I was a teen... So much to learn that way, but a lot of prices to pay as well. Looking back, I would have been wiser and stayed closer to my family.

I love the work here though. I brings many feelings to heart.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3808 Views
95 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 2, 2011
Last Updated on September 3, 2018
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, Dark, Gay, Hate, sex, teen, horror, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Black Swan Black Swan

A Poem by OT


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


I I

A Poem by Robin