One Father to Another

One Father to Another

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Behind those eyes then rose a tear the first blood I had ever drew From the depths of his tiny soul where innocence bid me adieu

"
Tate

Son Tate

Each day my son with thoughtful eyes

looked up to me through his laughter

Knowing I would be kind and wise

from that time and ever after

 

 

Once bitten from pain of divorce

I had shed teardrops of my own

From depths my boy had drug me back

he had never left me alone

 

 

Then came the moment I had feared

when my temper did hurt my son

Deep like the pain from my divorce

left me to ask, "what have I done"

 

 

Behind those eyes there rose a tear

the first blood I had ever drew

From the depths of his tiny soul

where innocence bid me adieu

 

 

Fearing grief would hinder his sleep

and not knowing what I should say

I looked to find him in slumber

there beside our picture he lay

 

 

Asleep in pain his eyes had closed

I felt my heart begin to moan

A sole tear lie upon his cheek

where I left a few of my own



So now whenever I am asked

to bless him with my permission

I think on what I lost that day

when I forced on him submission

© 2020 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
Whenever my son asks for my permission I always ask myself now, who will it hurt if I say yes? If the answer is only myself I always say yes. A lesson I learned the hard way. It seems I learn best that way. I should say the reference in this poem to blood being spilled was metaphoric, not literal. In this case I had just lost quite a bit in the divorce and was distraught. Little Tate just wanted my attention. When he started nagging me I turned on him and launched a tirade his way. The look on his face as a tear arose from his soul was heart wrenching. Having never seen me so upset he was devastated. The barb launched his way rebounded off his innocence to strike me dead center in my own heart. I had broken both our hearts. If ever an experience wrung the very water from my soul, this was it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a tender, yet profound piece... I FEEL each word.. I feel each tear.. I feel the anguish.. oh my goodness.. I literally have chills right now.. I feel the depth at which you love this precious blessing.. It is pure, it is unconditional, and it is real.. This is my absolute favorite piece I have had the pleasure of reading on this site... You are truly talented, my friend... AMAZING!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

well, it poured brilliantly.. Thank you for sharing this with me.. I absolutely love it.. LOVE it.. .. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I love my children But Tate holds a special place in my heart he and he alone went through my divorc.. read more
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

I can feel that love shine through every tear soaked word sir and it touched me deeply.. I know you .. read more



Reviews

I felt your pain as well as so much love for your son. Beautiful

Posted 11 Years Ago


I hurt for you after reading this, Tate. Yes, he loves you, yes, he'll forgive you, but we never forget and we know they don't either. We are always trying to protect them so much and we can't forgive ourselves when we become any part of what we want to protect them from, how we wish we were not human.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Such a brilliant farther, the honesty and commitment you have applied to his upbringing is well documented. A powerful piece that strongly shows the bond and the pain of knowing the damage we do to our children.
The turmoils of childhood. brilliant

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh Tate! It is so easy to relate to this piece, as we all have unintentionally damaged our own little innocent child's soul. I believe God made children so very resiliant that they can get through the pain inflicted by us because their love is unconditional, as ours is for them, and their hearts are pure and forgiving. I heard once that children are closest to God.
A beautifully written piece that touches my heart with that pain of regret, when our mistakes are intensely felt when it involves our children. You are a wonderful father Tate!
XX

Posted 11 Years Ago


You have an abundance of works! It took me a moment to find this one.
Congrats again on the gold. It's worth it, no bullion.



Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a really beautiful, touching poem - perhaps the most touching poem I have read thus far.

Such honest emotion and feelings.

I think your son is lucky to have you as a dad, and one day he will read this and know how you felt.

"Behind those eyes there rose a tear
the first blood I had ever drew
From the depths of his tiny soul
where innocence bid me adieu"

- Wow, speechless

What a great pleasure to read !! =D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow this touched a deep spot in me. I am the same with my children, bless them with love and give them as much happiness as I can. It doesn't hurt to say yes unless its for something that will harm them. Another amazing poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It is terrible when we hurt our children, often not meaning to...all any of us can do is learn from it....

Posted 11 Years Ago


As you've been brutally honest about this, I'm going to just talk to you like a normal person here, like I'm not reviewing this, because this is more than a poem. It's an admission of your struggles of being not only a parent but a husband, too.

I have been something of a step-dad for the last 2 years to a little girl and while my relationship with her mother has always been rocky at best, I tried to not let it affect my time spent with the little one. Of course I have reacted awfully towards her and said and been things she never deserved of me. It's something I can't change no matter how much I regret.

We want what is best for our children and family but at times we can't give it to them. We are human, and seemingly all of us burdened with some baggage of our own to carry with us wherever we go.

Very strong message and it's brought back memories of my own. Thanks for your sincerity and honesty - that's why I created that competition because maybe part of the healing process is to get all this s**t out there. Get it off your back, you know.

Appreciate the read and the submission. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8119 Views
171 Reviews
Shelved in 21 Libraries
Added on April 26, 2011
Last Updated on December 27, 2020
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Envy Envy

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Sugar and Sun Sugar and Sun

A Poem by Muse


I I

A Poem by Robin