Flood in Kerala

Flood in Kerala

A Story by The ArK
"

This is not a story.

"
Dear friends,

My name is Arjun and I am from the state of Kerala, India. Kerala is called 'The God's Own country'. If you have ever visited our place you will be knowing why it's an appropriate name for Kerala. But things have changed recently.

You might not be knowing about the current situation of the state of Kerala. We are facing the fiercest calamity since the 2004 Tsunami. The monsoon has been raining for several weeks continuously and most part of Kerala is submerged underwater now. Over 300 people have lost their lives during this week and over 200 thousand people had to leave their homes behind and move to a safer shelter. The state government and the armed forces are doing the best they can but the national media seems to be indifferent about this matter. There are so many kids and women staying now in relief camps set up by goverment and other activist groups without proper food, clothes and sanitation. Even the hospitals are being flooded and it makes things difficult for the deceased.

I have a small request to all of you. We are in need of help, to save those who are suffering and to rebuild the state. Even a small contribution can make a big difference.

To help the people of kerala you can contribute your share to the chief minister's distress relief fund. This is the link to the website:
http://www.cmdrf.kerala.gov.in/

Please look into my request and let the word spread. It's all for a great cause.

© 2018 The ArK


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What could be more amazing if we writers could use our tool and weapon (pen and words) to help the world that's facing a crisis. Kudos for taking up the issue and highlighting it through your writing.

Posted 3 Years Ago


hello i liked your poem and your reaching out to us all.
I shared on twitter. I rarely post on twitter i hope you dont mind


Posted 5 Years Ago


The ArK

5 Years Ago

Thank you! That's so kind of you.
I have read in the media and seen on tv stations the dreadful plight that the people in Kerala are facing. Many people in the UK donate to disaster charities and I hope sincerely that international agencies are doing all they can to make a catastrophe better. Strength to all, and prayers too.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


The ArK

5 Years Ago

Thank you christine. It's been a difficult time, hopefully we'll overcome!
I have followed this in the media but it is obviously different to get a first hand account. I spend regularly to charity, mostly to international agencies working in disaster areas. I wish you and your people lots of strength and courage.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The ArK

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
I have to tell you, the news media in the USA does NOT usually cover weather events in other parts of the world, unless it's a huge situation. Your India story IS on the USA news now & Americans may suck in many ways, but we are a generous bunch. You can expect us to pitch in as we always do. We have fond feelings for our beautiful friends in India (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


The ArK

5 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words. It's really difficult times we are going through.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 18, 2018
Last Updated on August 18, 2018
Tags: #standforkerala

Author

The ArK
The ArK

Thrissur, Kerala, India



About
I believe complex thoughts can be conveyed through simple words. I write simple, but trying to mean a lot. And I'm 24. more..

Writing
Us and Them Us and Them

A Poem by The ArK


Ode to Life Ode to Life

A Poem by The ArK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Monsters Monsters

A Poem by Zephyr