New Companions

New Companions

A Chapter by armanis
"

Kac and his childhood friends come across new companions for their next adventure

"

It was a brisk late fall afternoon. The wind blew and brought chills through the people of Kerina. Many of the leaves had already fallen, and the ones that didn't, were the ones that stayed true to the forest. The Evergreen trees. Many of the people were wearing thicker fur coats, usually made from wolf pelts, but there were also others that were fashioned from a hunted bear. The clouds hid the sun, but they were less dense than the rest. Not storm clouds...not overhead at least.

“Burr.” Yun exclaimed to Kac as she stepped into her house. Her house was made out of one of the thicker trunks of the forest. It had lots of room, and many of the windows were carved into arcs. She closed the door behind them as they entered. “I did not expect winter to come by so fast. It seems only yesterday when I let you back in...just too soon!” She went over to her fire place and lit it with a spell.

Kac walked in, and took a seat on one of the chairs. “Aye. It does seem rather soon...perhaps that is why we should move so quickly...but we have been on the road for so long. I really want not to move out on the road again...not for awhile at least.” he said. He turned his head around to observe the place. “Not much has changed ere. Not since I left...oh do you remember...the good old days? How we would go into Old mans Fernal's barn and tip over the livestock. Then race over to the nearest library, and start reading.”

Yun warmed her hands over by the fire. She looked back, and let her hair fall down, and frame her face as she stared him in the eyes. “I do.” she let out a laugh. “Oh how those were the days...young and worry free...but now we have matured...into responsible adults. We must worry for the future. We have so much to worry about.”

“Yes...” he began. “And no.”

She looked at him with confusion. She walked over to the closet, and opened it. There were many fur coats. “How do you mean?” she asked.

“Well...” he began, as he cracked his knuckles. “If we believe our God controls everything...then he controls the outcome, whether it be good or bad. So if we believe that, which I do, then what is there to be afraid of.” he got up and walked over to her to place his hand on her shoulder. “This new wisdom comes from the inspiration...given recent events. My faith will hold steadfast...as I am sure yours will too. Yun, we do not need to spend every waking moment...worrying...afraid.”

She pulled out one of the larger coats. “I think I see what it is you are trying to say...but that much I do not believe. Not yet anyways...with our recent event that is, it only proves what you say...but I still do not know.”

“All in good time.”

She nodded, then brought the coat up to his face. “I have kept this for you.” she said. “Day after day...your own home was empty. I waited day after day for you to come home...but you never did. I always thought you would someday return. However, not in the manner that you did. I kept this coat for you...for many long years for your return...and now you are here!”

He took a step back, and grasped her hands. “Well I am back...and now...at least for now we will not be separated.” he took the coat and put it on. “Well, you best get yours on as well. As much as I want to stand around and do nothing we have work to do. Did you already send your note to the Guild?”

“Aye I did.” she replied, slipping her coat on. “They already know. Mahtan is in command now. For the time being. He will be taking care of some of the administrative things while we will be gone. The Guild is in good hands. But better will they be when you are back. No one did things like you did. I cannot imagine things being better for us when you were here.”

Yun and Kac left the house, and she locked it. They headed over to the stables, and purchased a horse for hire. They also bought along saddle bags, so that they could walk with comfort, and stop little during the journey. They walked very slowly going to the market district.

The road was laced with fallen leaves of red, and gold. The wind blew a little harder as more clouds fell among them, the leaves dancing in the air.

Kac looked down the road saw a black figure in the distance. He looked back, and again, but the figure was gone. Yun did not appear to notice. “Did you see something?” he asked. Fear was gripping at him, worry. “Down the road?”

“No I did not.” she replied. She focused her eyes upon the road as well. She didn't see anything besides the leaves, and the fog. “Why did you?”

“I...I think I did.” he replied. He shrugged off the feeling that he was being watched. “It must have been nothing then.” Despite the disappearance of the figure, he couldn't help but wonder what darkness is going to befall him.

“So what do you think of Yurilo and Lorana?” Yun asked him as they continued down the road. “They seem like nice people...yet I am always weary when traveling with those of the assassin's guild.”

“Well if he was part of the guild...and no longer then he is the one who should be worried about his presence. Not us.” he replied. “The assassins are less forgiving than we are when it comes to those who abandon them. They normally kill their former comrades. They are never one to forget a grudge.”

She nodded, and kept walking.

“But as far as good company...I think they would do well. I do not think we have a reason to be afraid. Of course Lorana is a wizard and that is going to be useful. Especially if we come across one of those wraiths again.”

Yun's mind immediately went towards the previous month. The deadliest encounter she has ever had the misfortune to face. The day she saw her childhood friend nearly killed. A companion from the village of Malitu, and a wizard also from that village. Her mind was flashed with these memories, and shed a tear. “How did you come to know the wizard?” she asked him.

“She was but a little girl when I came in to live in that village.” he replied. “One thing I do know, is when you lose your worry, lose your edge, you start ignoring things, like the terrain. I never gave up the hunt, but I did land in a few snares that left me injured. Almost every week when I went out for my hunt I would end up visiting the healing ward, and that is where she grew up. She grew up to be a cleric, but had taken many more classes of wizardry. We got to know each other through the years...and I think she grew fond of me, asking me questions of home, which I never took the time to answer in full.” he sighed. “How we started adventuring together I do not know, for I was unconscious the entire trip, as I am sure Kora told you when you let us in. She became apart of something big, and did a lot for us that night.”

“Well I am sorry you lost a great friend Kac.” she replied, keeping her eyes now to the ground. The fog grew thick, and it was much harder to see the roots of the trees. “We all lose things, yet you seem to have taken it harder than usual.”

Kac sighed before answering. “Aye.” he replied. “I think living among humans so long you begin to feel as they feel. Once we thought we were very similar...we were wrong. We couldn't be any more different. We do not belong of the world...but in it. Living there as long as I did, I was living of the world, but no longer will I do that again. We do not take to heart the things they do. Normally, we deal with the loss of a friend, or family. Humans mourn it, and dwarves seem to ignore it altogether. With one dwarf I have met as the one exception. I am not going to lie, I do miss Quarala some times, but only as the little sister she became to me. Family.”

Yun looked at him to observe his face. It was hardened, and she could derive nothing from it. She knew his mother was killed, and his father died mysteriously, he had little close ties with anyone...but her. He did have distant cousins, but they were foreign to him also. The only cousin she knew he talks to, even if only through letters is Erdan, the high elven ranger from Zinasa.

She took his hand in hers, and brought it up, making an arc. Kac could not help but laugh for he was taller than she was, and it made the arc look awkward. She giggled uncontrollably, as they closed in on the market district.

The fog dispersed slowly to show the district. It was inside a large basin of grass, and a lake nearby. Near the large lake, the Lirana Lake, was the tavern. There were many tents set up. Many of gold, others green, brown, red, and orange. Many of the tents were set up in away that one could enter them. Almost like the ones in the festivals. The air was filled with the voices of thousands of people going to and fro the tents, talking with many of the merchants as well as with each other.

The two walked down slowly with their horse and entered the market district. The grass was soft and moist with the fog, and damp air. Each foot step made a squish. As they reached the bottom of the basin they were greeted by their companions.

“Hello friends!” Lorana raised her hand in the air. Yurilo was behind her making a purchase. She rushed over to them smiling. “A little late you are.”

“We took the scenic route.” Kac replied. “You know, down the old road of memories.”

“Ah, Kac, that is a long road indeed, one I seldom travel anymore. I travel the road of knowledge. Like many wizards before me.” she replied. Yurilo just stood and watched the three converse. “So what supplies do you people need? I have just spent my time picking up a few books myself.”

“We thought only what is necessary. Food and water is important. We should probably refill our quiver as well.” Yun replied sarcastically. Kac only giggled. “What have you!”

Lorana nodded. “I will not hold you up.” she replied. “I will meet you at the Green Leaf tavern?”

“Aye you will.” Yun said. Kac was looking over to the market to observe something, a conflict he thought he was seeing in the distance. “I will not be able to show up until around dusk though. I have another errand to run outside our supplies. We will be there, just wait for us when you get there.”

“Alright.” Lorana said, as she turned to Yurilo, and started walking in the other direction.

“Worry not, if we do not make it, it means death befell us!” he joked. Yun punched him in his shoulder.

Lorana looked at him in shock. Is he being serious? Such a high intelligence usually lead to a lack of common sense in this world. Truly it did.

“Do not worry Lorana.” Yun chuckled. “He is only joking. He has a darkened sense of humor. We will be there, and on time!

“Okay.” she laughed nervously. She walked, and left with Yurilo to go to the Tavern, where they waited.

Kac and Yun went through the market district, and got their supplies, from a merchant man, and their equipment from a merchant dwarf. Their supplies were very short, and requested little conversation from the man. They were not so lucky with the dwarf.

“How ye be doin' me pointy eared friends?” his brown beard swayed to the breeze. He had a large array of weapons behind him, in his tent. For protection he wielded a rather large war hammer. “What can I get ye and yer friend?”

“Just enough arrows for two quivers. We are not much interested in anything else.” Kac replied as Yun watched from the middle of the road.

“Aye, but what good be arrows if you have not the bow?” the dwarf replied. “Here, why not take a look at the bows I have, I have plenty, and can offer some discount for those that be of the Guild.”

“I have bows, but thank you for the considerate thought...” he replied. There was one man behind him, who started chuckling. “But I only want arrows.”

The dwarf pulled out a bow, and it had green leaf carvings that designed it. “This be the bow of Fire. The ancient bow that was once wielded by the great Aikanaro himself! Surely one of your strength would want a weapon such as this!”

“I do not even know who that is.” he chuckled nervously. “Please just give me some arrows. I want nothing else...just arrows.”

The dwarf muttered something underneath his breath, and Kac could not quite make it out for it was distorted behind his beard. “How about this one, the Great Lessien bow. One that tales have been sung for...well known...and how do you not know who Aikanaro is?”

Kac's patience was wearing thin. “I never heard of him! Now I do not want yer fancy bows...just give me arrows!”

“I will not sell you arrows unless you take one bow or the other!” the dwarf stared down at him. “And Aikanaro is the one who vanquished the Great Serpent...long ago. Before the lands were as divided as they are today. That is who he was. He was a hero!”

“Fine...give me that bow, and you will take mine!” Kac said. He walked over to his horse, and took his bow off from it. Yun held a smile to her face, she avoided chuckling,. “This dwarf is ridiculous!”

He walked over back to the stand and handed the dwarf his bow. He gladly took it, and said, “That be a total of forty gold coins please.”

Kac looked at him in utter shock. What did I just do? “What do you mean? How much for that bow?”

“With the discount price, you being of the Ranger's Guild it is thirty-eight gold coins Lad.” he said. “Quivers, only a coin a piece, arrows are dirt cheap they are.”

“How did you know I was one of the Guild?” How does this dwarf know so much about me? Why does he seem to know...

“I have an eye for these things elf.” he replied, he handed the bow, and the quivers over the counter to him.

“How much was the actual price of it?” he asked. He did not want to cheat the dwarf out of an honest purchase.

“I traded a half a dozen war hammers, and paid nearly one hundred gold coins for it.” he replied. “Why do you ask?”

Kac's jaw dropped open. He was absolutely stunned with the amount of investment the dwarf made to take it. “why so much?”

“It is legendary. Use it well.” he said. He turned to the crowd. “Next in line please?”

Kac walked over to the horse. Yun looked at him with shock. “You needed a new bow?”

“No. I liked the old one, but this one feels just as good too, almost...like it fits.” he said. “It was discounted though.”

They started walking towards the lake. “How much was it?”

“Well,” he began. “His investment was six war hammers, and over one hundred gold coins for it, but I paid thirty eight of it. So it was cheap, I did not want to argue with that price.”

“What did he say about it?” she asked.

“Well, he said it belonged to Aikanaro, the one who destroyed a serpent. I really do not know what that means, so it has some historical significance, yet it seems... it just fits right. It is hard to explain.”

“I see.”

The two continue on, they traveled on through the cold afternoon. The clouds still covered the sky, and the breeze wasn't getting any warmer. Yun needed to wrap her arms around herself to keep warm. They passed through a meadow, and some thick brush before they reached the guild hall. It was made from a giant tree trunk Before entering the building they

Many of the rangers were sitting around the tables, eating their lunch before practicing with their bows, and honing their skills. The rooms was filled with the roaring sound of chatter. It immediately stopped as Kac's presence was unknown.

Kac never left Yun's side as she made her way to the office at the end of the hall. Elves, men, and dwarves exchanged filthy looks towards him. He walked very cautiously...he knew many here would not welcome his very presence in this very room.

He and Yun entered the office and shut the door. He let out a deep sigh as Yun approached the clerk. His name was Uronos. He looked up.

“Yun you made it back!” he said gleefully. “I feared the worse when I saw Yara when she and the rest came back, but you did not.”

“I am quite fine thank you.” she replied. “I had other things I needed to attend to, just like I do now. “

“Where are you going now?” Uronos seemed concerned. “It is unusual for a guild master to be away from her duties for the time you have.” he turned to Kac. “You seem somewhat nervous today former Guild master. What be wrong?”

“Nervous looks. I do not want to be killed by my own kin anytime soon.” he replied. “I have too much to do, and less time.”

“Well that goes without saying, but I am sure you will be fine. Unless one of them gets drunk.” he replied, turning to Yun. “Where are you going now?”

“I need to travel with Kac, and a few others south. It will require secrecy, and why we are going I will not tell you, but I will tell you that Unverdus demands this. I will be leaving in the morning. I wish to place Mahtan Linwe in charge in my absence.”

“It will be done.” he said. “I will speak of this to no one.”

“Thank you Uronos. Farewell, may Unverdus watch over you.”

She left with Kac. They went through the Hall, one ranger, a dwarf who apparently had too much to drink. Great. He thought to himself.

“You...traitorous scum!” he yelled. The rangers only watched.

Yun separated the two of them. “Smorguf, stay away from him.” her face was stern with him. “As Captain of this guild, you will stand back!”

“What captain are you! Harboring this...scum!” he yelled. “Get outta me way!”

“It is okay Yun.” he sighed. “Let him.”

She nodded to him, and stepped aside. The dwarf clenched his fists, and brought them up. “Defend yerself!”

“I will let you know dwarf...if you make a sudden move on me, it will be you on the ground.” he said.

The dwarf threw his fist at him. Kac grabbed him by the wrist and twisted him, leaning on his back, the dwarf was now on the ground. He pulled ever so slightly, not to harm him, but to restrain him. “I told you dwarf. As former Captain of the Guild, I am much stronger than many of you, do not trifle with me again.” He let him go, and the dwarf got up, and grumbled. He went outside the Guildhall.

Yun walked up in the center of the room. “No one is to talk to Kac Xaizan. Leave him be, he knows what he did in the past was wrong, and I forgive him of that. Whether you accept him or not, he is part of this Guild! He has done more...and discovered more than any of you! If you cross him in an unfavorable way...you will answer to me!”

The rangers turned to their dishes and began eating. The two of them left the guild hall, without any more interruptions. They untied the the horse, and left the area. The trip was silent, and now words were spoken, until they got to the tavern.


Lorana and Yurilo sat across from each other in the Green Leaf tavern. A candle was lit between them both. Lorana was enjoying soup, as Yurilo cut through his sandwich, cutting off the crust as well.

There was silence, and it was late in the afternoon, just before dusk. There was enough chatter going on with the people inside, it would be easy to conceal something hidden across the table without being noticed.

“Exactly what are we doing...traveling with these two?” Yurilo broke the silence between them.
“Adventuring but at what cost? I must know what it is I am getting into Lorana.”

Lorana swallowed her soup before answering. “I myself do not know, but I can only assume it has something to do with the Serpent that we have been looking into.” she sighed, “Something big is coming Yurilo...a great storm, and I know not what it will be. It scares me...but I know it must be done, and I will see the end of this. I hope you will join me in this...I trust you.”

“It is never wise to trust someone of the assassin's Guild, Lorana. You know this.” he replied.

She eyes him with suspicion. What is he playing at. Her hand reached for her staff near the table, and grasped around it.

“Though I am not one to lie...i promised to protect you, and I will hold true to that oath.” he replied. “But never let your guard down, for I cannot be everywhere at once.”

She loosened her grip and began to start on her soup again. “I know...i just thought more of you. More that became...Yurilo before the Assassins took you in.” she sighed.

“Well I doubt that I will return to my old ways, but I also do not go in to places blindly.” he replied. “What do you think it is about...he mentioned something...the temple of Corela. What do you suppose that means?”

The wizard pondered this a moment. “Well one does not often go to that temple without good cause...unless they live in the area. That is also where the prophet Cornelius lives. So I assume there is some spiritual warfare that is going on...something big.”

The assassin nodded, still keeping his eyes out, his pupils moving left to right to observe the people around him, and those just entering. “Well I guess that is a good enough answer as any. I will stay with you until such time as you or I see fit. Whichever comes first.”

She nodded, then she heard the door creak open. She turned around in time to see it shut. Kac and Yun had spotted them and walked over, taking a seat in between the two of them.

“How went the errands?” Lorana asked. She shifted her gaze from Kac to Yun.

“Rather interesting.” Yun said. She was sure Kac wanted to keep quiet, with the recent event at the Guild Hall. “We met a dwarf merchant, who for whatever reason was adamant about selling us a particular bow. Said it was owned by an Aikanaro, or some bother.”

“Ah interesting. Who is that?” Lorana asked.

“Apparently someone who killed or destroyed a serpent long ago.” Kac replied. “I still do not know what that means.”

Lorana's ears perked up. “Aikanaro?” she asked. “A serpent? It is clear to me now.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

“You and I have a common friend Kac Xaizan.” she began. “For months, I was researching something...a serpent rather. One that I fear that story is about. We should investigate this before we leave. Do you think we can find that dwarf before we leave? Do we have time? I simply must know.”

“I think we can spare some time...now who is our friend?” he replied. “I must know...this is a rather odd situation you put us in.”

“Kora.” she answered. “I will tell you more. In my studies I have found that the serpent caused great chaos, and an elf, it does not say who sealed the serpent into the abyss. It also spoke about how it would return using the Stone of Immortality. The elf...I feel would be this Aikanaro. If the dwarf even knows the name...he should know more about this tale. We simply must know, for if it were to come back...who knows what would happen.”

Kac nodded. “Well I fear he already packed up and went to sleep. I doubt he be in one of our taverns or inn. Seemed somewhat disrespectful to us elves, but I am sure we can find him in the morning.”

“Good.” she replied. Yurilo just finished his sandwich.

“Well, we better be getting a good night's rest then. “Yun yawned. The bard started playing his music again. “But what a lovely melody that is!”

Kac simply agreed, but was more partial to the idea of rest. Yurilo and Lorana went up to their respective rooms as Kac and Yun enjoyed another meal together.

They heard the door creak open, but ignored it. “So the Guild masters meet again!” came an excited voice. The two were startled and turn to see Yara. She sat down right next them, at their table. “It has been long since either of you have been here. What has been happening?”

“Well, Yara...” Yun began, looking to her as she sipped some water. “We have been traveling some time now, and will continue the journey soon. We have a task of utmost importan_”

“Pray tell?” she asked.

“We will be going into south to visit the temple in Corela.” she replied. “We are involved with the turning of a new age. Exciting it is.”

“Yes, very exciting.” Kac said. “Nearly like coming across something new. That is very exciting.”

“Well we know what ended up happening last time you did.” Yun laughed.

“Aye, but it was for the better.” he told Yara. “I would not be here if that was not the case. A lovely conflict it ended up being...funny how it turned out.”

“Would you care to elaborate? Or is it secret?” Yara inquired. She looked deep into his eyes for an explanation.

“Well I was attacked on the road, and that is what started it. I escaped, and we went back there to rid the land of an evil that dwelt there.” he said. He desired to change the subject, for his thoughts quickly turned to his friends, Quarala, and Jorre, and this new person Glenroy. I wonder why he stayed behind...if he traveled with my cousin. “So what brings you here this night? And I am afraid I failed to catch your name.”

“How silly of me.” she responded. “My name is Yara, a new addition to the Ranger's Guild, nearly a year ago of course, when Yun here allowed me in. I over heard that you were going on a grand adventure, there was talk in the Guild hall earlier so I thought I might stop by, and witness the two masters of the Guild in history. It would be an honor...to offer you my blade and expertise.”

Yun and Kac looked at each other. “If you will excuse us.” Kac and Yun stood up as she responded with a nod. They went just outside the inn. The lamp post lit little more than a few feet around the inn. There was still loud chatter going on among the tavern.

“Do you trust her?” Kac asked. He was concerned. “Do we trust another person among our party? I am unfamiliar with the other two as it is...and to take on another, I do not wish this to become dangerous, or to be with trouble. I need you to tell me...do you trust her?”

“I can, and do trust her.” she replied. “I was the one who trained her when she was little, a in your absence, I let her in the Guild as I saw her promise, and went on a few scouting trips with her to see her progress. She is trustworthy and I would trust her with my life, Kac. It would be good for her to join us, for if Lorana and Yurilo prove to be untrustworthy, and do something to make us think other wise, we will have one more to trust than they do. We should run it by them in the morning however...we do not want them to arouse suspicion.”

“Aye.” he looked at the ground. “Okay, lets tell her,”

She nodded her head, and they went back inside the tavern. They approached her, and Kac shook her hand. “It will be a priveledge to have you on our side in this...for we know not what troubles lie ahead. You are an honorary companion!”

“Thank you!” she replied with enthusiasm. “I will go home and pack, when do we leave?”

“Well we do not know yet.” Yun replied. “Something recently came up that we must investigate immediately. We need to find a dwarf in the morning. It is not likely that he left so it should not be long after that. It will give us time to introduce you to the rest of our companions, and for you to pack your things. It could be likely that we leave tomorrow, so make sure you are ready.”

“Aye Captain.” she nodded, and left the tavern.

“Well, it has been a rather interesting day.” Kac yawned. “Time to turn in for the night.”




© 2014 armanis


Author's Note

armanis
Again, criticism is welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on June 5, 2014
Last Updated on June 5, 2014
Tags: fantasy, Tavern, Inn


Author

armanis
armanis

revere, MA



About
My name(Pen-name) is Armanis Ar-Feinial. I am a fantasy writer and am looking to expand my knowledge in the literary world. more..

Writing
The Covenant The Covenant

A Book by armanis