Legends Return to Life

Legends Return to Life

A Chapter by Armanis
"

The dorment legends have now brought together their powers to ensure the elf and men immigrants make it to their new homeland safely from the drow, and the Demon, Grendum; A great eye!

"



Chapter 12 Legends Returned to Life

Carts and wagons squeaked and shook as their rotting wheels rolled over the sharp and rough terrain of the Old Forest. Rangers scouted the way to and from the path, while soldiers covered every wagon, pushing and pulling as farmers both of elf and man guided their horses in futile attempts to avoid the thick roots and boughs of this ancient fortress.  No child was spared any comfort, they too were pulling and pushing.

Groans and moans could be heard all across the travelers. Mahtan stayed at Yun’s side to continue his observations. Ellessar and Gilmir remained at the side, shouting if if the first carriage was heading into a root. Kora and Yana went up ahead to look for wolves, bears or other creatures unfriendly to this undisturbed place. Kridruk, Dorio, and Cardur were the three up front pushing the first two wagons. Kridruk who could wrestle a bear despite the injury Dorio gave him several months ago could push a wagon by himself, and the combined strength of Dorio and Cardur could easily push the other one. Lorana and Gorda were at the front and the back, using scry to peer into the forest, and able to tell if someone or something was nearby, or if they were aware of their overwhelming presence. Kac was the only one not with them. He scouted up ahead farther than Kora or Yana to Melo, one of the farming communities. It would fit their need just right, being away from everyone.

The farming community in Paxis was much like a small town. The farms were on the outskirts, and all of the necessities were surrounded by those farms which sometimes were three miles in length. Now the ground was very rough, and soil moist considering they had sea air to deal with, being so close to the ocean.

Every farming community was run by a mayor who over saw what was being produced, needed to send supplies to neighboring community as it is the neighborly thing to do. He would also go on trips to these other communities for sake of maintaining a healthy relationship between them, and possible families.

This particular community was called Melo. The mayor of this community was a halfling called Furelin, who was married to Mari. They had no children but one was on the way. He wore a buttoned green shirt with a white undershirt, and brown pants. His wife whose baby was beginning to show wore a flowered hat that shielded her from the overwhelming sunlight.

One such farmer was Glere, married to Ana, with two children. Chiltu, and Mere, both were very young and small. He normally spent the days outside tending his farm, and his children stayed inside with housework, making some time for play. Occasionally they would re-read a history book. During nights Glere spent time with Mere telling him about farming. This was essential to their family’s structure for Mere will have to help Glere later, when he gets older.

One of the merchants was Bentor, married to Sari. They were newly wed, and very saddened when his brother Glentor didn’t make it to his wedding just months ago, after he was expected back. “Off on some adventure.” Was always the thought he told himself. No one ever told him about his demise.

Kac rushed in the community, sweat dripping down his face. He looked to and fro for someone perceived to be the mayor. Many of the halfling gasped at the sight of the ranger. An elf is not something they see very often. Many of these villagers ran in terror because they knew not what to think.

“What be your problem! Big feet!” said a high pitched voice. Kac looked down to see the finely dressed halfling, Furelin. “Ye cannot be coming here unannounced scaring my folks. What brings you here elf?”

“Errands and a favor.” Kac asked politely, panting as his voice came out raspy. “I need a place to stay, a large place.”

“Why?” the halfling reluctantly replied. Nothing good can come from beyond the borders of paxis, the Land of Peace.

“Kinasa, and Zinasa have fallen. The homes of the elves, and many friends and families lost. We have no where to go.” Kac said tearfully. “The forest of Kinasa, the evergreen was burned down, and built anew, a forest of iron malice! Truly I would ask nothing of the sort if it was not of great importan_”

“No!” he was the answer he gave. “This was duefully named the land of peace. Paxis. As soon as we digress from the natural order we too will fall in our own demise. I know not what sin you have committed that brought the wrath of your God upon you, or some other God but I will not let your calamity come here!”

“So you will send many younglings, included the men, women, and children who have come with us, that have been uprooted from their homes? You would let them die, for they have no good place to turn?” he said.

“It is not my problem.” the halfling said coldly. “I will not suffer for your mistakes! I will not bring calamity upon my countrymen! Damn you outsiders. Leave me and my Utopia alone!”

“A utopia in this world is nothing more than a disguised dystopia. I will unchain these beliefs of yours, you blind halfling, I tell you, you never open your eyes! Open your eyes and come see the world as it is!” he shouted. “Do you not see, we elves have maintained guardianship of Alkathos for thousands of years! The only way you have been able to maintain your feeble-minded existence is because we took the reigns in holding against the evil, and because we had no real help it grew too powerful too fast. Even we were blind to how powerful it has become. What evil spirit holds clutches against your will? Or are you truly and bitterly cold?”

“There is and always will be a utopia here. Your lies do not deceive me! Leave elf!”

“OI!” yelled another. A halfling sprinted as fast as his two puny legs could take him. His straw hat kept needed adjusting. “Leave him be. What is the problem?”

“Butt out Bentor, this does not concern you!” the mayor said.

Kac became more resolute as another voice entered the conversation. Hopefully one with far more compassion.

“No, Furelin.” he replied calmly. “Do you not remember our laws of hospitality.? They are important to our way of life. Let us not hear what this elf has to say. What is it ye seek?”

“Refuge, if at least temporary. The elves...what is left of us that is have no home.” he replied quietly. “We seek a solitary place, out of everyone’s way. We can hunt, we can farm. Food is not a problem, and we have tents. That suffices for our need, but we need a place for it. It could be miles away from our farthest farm it does not matter.”

“Why is this so absurd?” Bentor replied. The merchant pushed the mayor. “This is absurd! You are insane! It will not be like they are taking our resources and forcing us on the brink of starvation! Let them stay!”

“Do not push me!” Furelin pushed him backwards. “This matters! What then when Korilya falls? will we house the nation of dwarves? The land of men? shall we house all the nations of man? NO! We will not have the room for it! It will be the dn of our resources if we start doing so!”

“No you greedy fool! We work our keisters off for this, and for you! You raise our taxes and our quota where we can barely survive! Do you hear us complain about this everyday? You willingly give our resources to neighboring communities because it is the neighborly thing to do. What about our distant neighbors? They are our neighbors just as much as Hiel is. Do not deny them? Or I will stop buying and selling.” Bentor threatened.

“You threaten me with all of these threats and do you know what that_”

“I know exactly what it will bring. It means things will end up badly for all of us, and soon we will end up like the elves here. Homeless, and then who will you turn to? Hiel who you give our resources too? Oi they be barely able to produce enough for themselves because we have to help them. There will be no where for you to run, and then you will ask what kind of halfling you were? You deny our customs, and in doing so you will bring calamity in the form of my anger and resentment!” Bentor interrupted him rather epically.

The political halfling stepped back in astonishment, for he did not know what he could say next that would better the situation. He made promises to keep the people out of poverty, and this halfling merchant was calling him out on everything he did that was inherently wrong.

Surely these two halflings do not like each other. People of power are blind to their own corrupt devices. In the eyes of a mortal, if you give them all ruling power they will steer away from the person they were meant to be. It also means they will oppress all they see as lower than he. This merchant, probably well off enough, knowing that every halfling merchant goes off on an adventure procuring goods to sell to the other races for large sums of money. Surely Bentor was no exception to that rule.

Was he really willing to put himself at such great risk? Being well off he could venture off into the world but no halfling willingly did that. They love the comfort of their home too much to take a risk as great as this. If he has family what does that mean? Would he willingly put his own family at great risks? The danger here is far less than the danger out in the world, but it still exists here.

“Angry much Bentor? Are you still angry because Glentor never showed up to your wedding? Was he absent in body mind and soul? Does this hurt you so dearly if ever there was such a hurt?” the politician taunted him. “Does this absence hurt more than the needle to the heart?”

“It hurts more than you would know, but you would know nothing on that would you? Furelin, truly you are disgusting, heartless and cruel. You have not the family I had, nor will you. You do not understand that this absence hurts worse than an arrow to the heart!” Bentor responded. He did not react to the direct verbal assault. “You have no love for the people you see everyday. You have not the love for your wife. You have not the love of your neighbors.” he sighed. “So tell me Furelin...shall I bring forth calamity on Melo? Shall I make you regret your decision and forfeit your life?”

“No,” Furelin gave a grunted reply, turning to Kac. “However if your move stampeded ours soil and essentially destroys our only means of agriculture, I will rid you of Paxis! Also, do not over-extend your stay!”

The angry and defeated halfling turned around and began stomping the earth with his large hairy feet. If anyone was destroying means of agriculture, it was him. The angry halfling accuses others of faults that belong to him, and strife caused by him is the real problem.

“Thank you.” Kac said, kneeling down to meet the halfling eye to eye. “It is greatly appreciated.”

Bentor smiled, tilted his straw hat, and shifted the grain of wheat in his mouth to the right. “Worry not about it. Been waiting for some time to give him a good thrashing anyhow.” He replied, and pulled out a parchment of old paper. He opened it, drew a circle, and handed it to Kac. It was a map of Paxis, including what territory belonged to who. “That circle is a blot of land that we do not use. It is small, but should be enough.”

“That is all we could ever hope for. Thank you mr. Bentor.” Kac replied. He took the map, exchanged one more pleasantry with Bentor, who he was sure to meet again at some point later on. He ran to see the land that was to be theirs until such time as either party sees fit.

The land circled was about a square acre. There were dandelions swaying in the breeze. The air was still alive here. The branches were moved and Kac found himself in solitude.

For once since who knows when he felt at peace. The quietness of the forest, it was not Kinasa, but it was something. He let the wind caress his entire body as leaves danced around him. The sounds of the crickets and chirps of the birds were like music to his leaf shaped ears.

Inside, deeper into this place designated for the elves were filled with oak trees, and thick birchwood. It would have to do for now, and he began to understand why this was unclaimed. It would be impossible for halflings to clear it.  So this would become the ideal spot, it is out of the way, and land small enough for growing vegetable. Kac was hopeful that one of the farmers may have brought seeds to bear fruit, because eating vegetables all day was from ideal, especially considering Cardur and Kridruk who normally ate vast amounts of meat.

He put the map back in his pocket and ran towards the Old Forest, to tell the others the good news.

“I wonder how compassionate the halflings will be of our plight and request.” Ellessar asked, jumping from one branch to the next, looking more so towards the south than the north. He was being cautious, especially cautious. “I certainly hope there will be a safe sanctuary to seek here. I am tired of running.”

“Unverdus never failed to deliver us completely from the hands of our enemies.” Answering without thinking. He was an impulsive elf, often not thinking before speaking or acting. “It will always be some safe place.”

“I hate you! I hate you!” Ellessar yelled, just softly enough so that the travelers below would not be able to hear them. They were in branches just close enough where they can still make mention of what the trail of people were doing, but also far enough above to perceive any moving trees, without nature itself affecting it. If drow moved below, they would be able to know it. “Damn you Gilmir!”

“My apologies brother.” Gilmir replied calmly. “Please forgive my rashness. Sometimes I do not...most of the time I do not think, I just do as you well know. It is no excuse. Please forgive me,”

“I...alright.” he said, looking down at the forest, observing a flare of black fire in the distance, perhaps as far as ten miles from the main road. “Gilmir, get over here.”

“Hmm?” Gilmir jumped from his side of the road to his to look in the direction of where Ellessar pointed. “Damn drow. Ellessar jump down, go to Mahtan, Yun whoever is easiest to get to, and tell them Drow are coming.”

“What? How do you know?” he replied.

“Black fire.” he said solemnly. I will stay up here, observing and acting when necessary.” he replied. “Go now.”

“Why can you not do it, it should be you you have more experience in the guild.” he said back.

“Damn it Ellessar, this is important! My experience is exactly why you should do this! I have to stay up and watch, without me we are certain to die!”

“But_” Gilmir pushed him out of the tree. He left screaming as he struggled to get a hold on a tree, then calmly descended down, grabbing hold of all branches before landing on the ground. The sudden stop of creaking alarmed him, and his landing on the ground alarmed everyone, man, woman and child. The elves who were used to such actions ignored it.

He ran to the front of the line, staying off to the side of the road. This was difficult since the boughs were rough and abundant. He ignored the neighs of horses and shudders of men.

There she was. Yun, holding forth the head of the line. She looked surprised to see Ellessar away from his delegated position. Mahtan also looked at his brother.

“How now?” Yun said. “What trouble disturbs this forest?” she turned her head up as if to expect an attack from the nearby trees.

“Gilmir and I spotted hints of darkness. The drow haunt us at our sides yet again. Ten miles maybe less now they are close to us.” he said. “They...have come...again!”

Mahtan swore under his breath. He was nearly killed last time he saw one of them. Yun threw her arms up in the air out of frustration. She drew her bow, and notched one arrow, there will be need of that soon.

“Why! Why does this always happen to me! Damn Decrepantaur and all his malicious devices bent on destroying all that is good! Curse you Decrepantaur! I will find your soul and rip it in seven pieces!” She exclaimed with terrors with terrors. “Damn them all!” she took a deep breath, turning to Mahtan. “Take your brother, and lead the caravans to Paxis with all due haste.”

She paused after hearing lots of worried commotion. Men, women and children started breathing heavily as some of them knew, but none were more afraid than the elves. Cardur, Kridruk and Dorio dropped the wagons they were lifting and rushed to Yun’s side.

“What use we be best of?” Cardur asked.

“Move the caravans!” Mahtan began to rush ahead when Yun interceded. “Mahtan, one more thing!” He stopped, glancing back at her, anxious as always to get the task done at hand. “Do not forget your brothers, and when you find Yana and Kora send them this way. We will have need of them very soon!”

“Aye.” Mahtan affirmed and nodded to Ellessar who ran by his side, disappearing into the distance. Cardur, Kridruk, and Dorio rushed to aid the caravans in moving faster than the wagons could probably take.

Why now? How in the world do they know where we are? She put two fingers in her mouth and whistled. Very shortly Gorda, Lorana, Yara, rushed to her side. “Yara, you are very important and though thou be above us as the prophet; I expect you as a ranger to lead these people safely into Paxis. I give thee temporary control of all the guild members. It is important as you can get many people to safety.”

“Aye.” She nodded, turning raising one hand up.

“And...could you do me a favor?” she asked solemnly.

“Yes Yun, What is it?” she asked swiftly.

“should time arise and you meet Kac, when you meet him...will you tell him that these words now more so than ever...I truly love him from the bottom of my heart and soul?”

“It is as you say, and will always be. The Sands of Time will break before your love for he diminishes.” she said. “MOVE THE CARRIAGES! AS MANY AS THREE OF YOU TO THE WAGONS! PUSH WILL ALL YOUR MIND BODY AND SOUL! THE SAFeTY OF ALL THESE PEOPLE DEPEND ON OUR HASTE!”

The Rangers of the Guild heeded their call, and so did the soldiers(What was left of them) went behind the wagons, and began pushing. The creaks of the wheels continued, breaking the splinters of roots that Kora and Yana left behind.

“And what of us?” Gorda asked. “What does this guild below, yet above me, require of my strength?

“I would not ask this of you, but the fate of the future depends on us. The fate of all faithful humanity, and elves depends on this.” She answered, scanning the trees, with her eyes. “I am asking you to prepare to die today. We had Kac and his bow last time. I do believe he is too far ahead to help us in this strife. In order for there to be peace for us...if such a word can even be used, it requires necessary bloodshed. There is no getting around it.”

“‘Tis a wise and noble cause to die for.” Gorda said, leaning on his staff.

“I am in this to find the truth. To explore countless possibilities. There is no death here, for mortal death is only a path in life required by all to take.” Lorana replied, brushing off some dirt from her cloak. “Alas, it will not be our end, but I will strive to bring forth success on our destinies!”

“Thank you.” Yun replied, letting out a sigh as she accepted her fate.

To live or die? In this world was there really any life in it at all? Where can life be found in a world of decay? Even now it is known that the only nation of men left even capable, much less willing to stand up to Decrepantaur was Grento. All with grand knowledge knew that would never be the case for they love their dark ways too much. They will never turn away, nor would they ever step out of their fortress to help those less fortunate than they. The Village of Malitu was what Grento was meant to be.

“Gilmir!” Yun exclaimed! Dark fire shot down as Gilmir jumped down, the back seering with tremendous heat. “Gorda! We need him!”

Gorda already strided over to him, laying his hands on the burned back. The fire did not seem to go all the way through the armor, but it did not stop the heat. “Thank you sir. Much appreciated.” He fired his arrow off in the distance.

“STUPID ELF!” came a shriek. “YOU, WILL I KILL!”

“How many did you see?” Yun asked softly, pointing her bow into the thickly deep woods.

“A few dozen maybe.” he answered. “Probably enough to plan on killing all people before they reached the sanctuary which is now Paxis; the land of peace.”

Gorda put his staff in the air, slamming it to the ground and they were covered in a white light: his sanctuary. Snarls echoed through the forest, undoubtedly from the drow who hated light, especially bright ones. They heard voices on top of voices chanting. The voices molded together so they could not hear what they were saying.

“What thinkest thou Lorana?” Yun said. “ You be the resident scholar out of us all. What are they doing?”

“Casting a joint spell.” Lorana grimaced. “Well indeed they are casting a powerful spell if these creatures have to work together to bring forth an end result. Yun, you know of their power, and alone they could cast a joint spell that would require me and Gorda time and energy I have not right now. I wonder…” she trailed off. “Are they casting that one? That only...No it cannot be!”

“What spell Lorana! What spell! Have we seen it?” Gorda asked.

Lorana stabbed her staff deep into the ground, hugging it tightly. “I suggest you all do the same!”

The three followed suit as darkness slowly came in around them. The darkness resembled the inside of a whirlpool as it began to unwove the light around them. “LORANA! WHAT IS THIS?!”

“Ages past right before the Grand Transformation of the world, there was a creature named Eladerin. They were magical beings with tremendous magical capabilities, able to decipher darkness, and to unweave it. They are drow...they are with equal footing with the Eladerin of old. They can weave the very essence of creation if one is powerful enough, and should all the drow come under one roof, they may have an arm long enough to destroy this world and create anew.”

Gilmir and Yun stabbed both swords in the ground, holding fast to this. Holding fast as if their very lives depended on it, surely it did. Who knows how long it may be until Kora and Yana arrived to help them. Their keen ears will be very necessary.

The ground lifted itself up and rose above what they believed to be a treeline. Yun could barely tell for everything was shrouded in darkness. Nothing could be seen, but what could be heard was the loud wind being directed by the chorus of guttural chants in the sky. Yes that is where they were.

“How does it feel?” said a whisper, sinister and mocking. “To be at the mercy of our powers? You four: a cleric I recognize once the chief healer in our courts, A wizard, one of the prestigious scholars of them all, wise and powerful, A captain of the Ranger’s Guild, and one of the most prestigious Guild, the Rangers as they are the most well respected! Yet all four of you are powerful, but nothing in our sights> How does it feel that your existence depends on our word?”

They could not answer for the bones in their bodies rattled like snakes. The clutches of fear gnawed at their thighs, weakening their grip. There was little light now, as the light from Gorda’s staff began to flicker. There was a loud whistle, and they felt light, as the earth that was below them crumbled. The four fell through the spaces in between, and following their fall were carefully landing rocks.


“Mahtan what brings you here?” Kora asked curiously, tossing a large root into the side of the road.

“Yun is in dire need of your help!” Mahtan exclaimed, staring at the two elves chopping up wood with their swords.

“I could really go for an axe right now. They cut roots better.” Yana replied, seemingly ignoring his problem.

“Yana! This is an emergency!” Mahtan interrupted.

“Life is an emergency!”

“The drow have found us!” he growled.

“That is a problem.” Yana said Casually. Kora ran off into the distance, running towards the caravans, where they would be rolling in. “Very well youngling. I will deal with these drow for the first time, and certainly not the last.

“Do not underestimate them! After what they did...everything that…”

“Everything they burned will fuel my rage for them. I will kill them. Now, I should not be weary of them, they should be weary of me!” she jumped into the trees, and jumped from branch to branch as fast as her legs could take her into that direction. It was a very necessary move on her part.

“Do they not understand how dangerous this is? It is very important! This is important not to take lightly of! Kora, Yana if you go in there without thinking you will surely die just as all mortals are doomed to die.”

“But they are more than mere mortals Mahtan. They are legends.” said a familiar voice. “Yes they are legends, and once worked side by side together in the Time of Great Trials. This indeed will be an interesting skirmish to take part of. Not once have I fought alongside either of them, nor have I yet to even admire their works.”

Mahtan turned, startled. “Kac?” he said in astonishment. He was not expecting to see Kac for quite some time; he was faster than he expected. “How did you get back here so fast?”

“I use the trees youngling.” he said to him, patting him on the head. “Do me a favor will you?”

Mahtan nodded paying attention to the integrity in the elf’s eyes. He felt the wind come alive once again, alive with not only the return to nature as new life entered and sailed along these winds. Wondering what the elf was planning, it did not seem to him, which was ironic for a guild captain , that Kac planned on doing any fighting. Perhaps he would be willing to step in if the need arises.

“Cut up these roots will you. The trip will be treacherous enough as it is.” he said taking out a parchment on it. “The circled region I have claimed for ours with the help of a simple short friend.”

Mahtan chuckled. “Okay, Yes Captain.”

“I shall be off, and soon you will see some great things come to pass. Some horrible too, much worse than what you saw just months ago.” he said, jumping into the tree and jumping from branch to branch. He seemed much faster than Yana. He was gone in an instant.

“We best get started then.” Ellessar said, staying quiet. He sighed in despair as the growing darkness came unto his heart and mind.


Grunts and screams, as well as the panicked muffled cries of children. Mostly the elf children, who remembered seeing those horrible things. Parents tossed out of their windows for not accepting the power of the amulet. Fathers and mothers burned their spouses and their children if they did not accept the power of the darkness.  All of these deaths seemed meaningless to the drow but it meant the whole world to the young children, and the survivors that lived to tell these wretched tales. One young elf was named Eriphil, who consistently wrote in parchment.

He wrote down his memories on paper of the instant that changed his life for ever.

“Take it!” Momma said in her vicious tone and slanderous words.

“I know not what that be! All magic has its rules and we who fail to look into them before use are fools! Put it down! NOW!” Papa said to her in his overly cautious tone.

“TAKE IT OR DIE! I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THIS!” her guttural sounds were produced without a doubt by the stress in her throat for yelling so much, relaxing so little yet with great malice would endure such torment.

“So be it! I would rather die than become the monster you have become. Dearest! What hast thou done with my wife!?” he cried. “Come here.” he said to me. “If you wish to see the light follow me!”

I began to walk over to him, ignoring my mother's psychotic rants and threats. Alas, it was not to be so. “So you love him do you?” I felt her firm hand grab my shoulders and pull me close to her, feeling her deep breath brushing my hair. It was not the warm motherly breath I remember...but that of the absence of love and heart. She is no longer my mother…

He could write no more as the rants, screams and yells interrupted his thoughts. It was a burden, traveling so much and stopping so little He could write very little, and now even now with the stress turning up his heart from his dead mother and father he could not concentrate on the drow behind, but of all trouble that are to lie up ahead. “Please Unverdus, guide us safely to the heart of Paxis. Brings us safely into the land of peace...if ever there can be peace in this world again.”

“PUSH DORIO PUSH!” Cardur yelled, sobbing as there was nothing more.

“Kridrik moved your wagon out of the way! You are a Kuai, that should not be too hard for you!” Dorio called ahead. “What is taking you so long!”

“Your knife!” he growled back.

“It should have healed by now has it not?” Dorio cried back. “Move on you stupid orc move it! I know not how long those four will survive that many drow.”

“Do not worry too much.” Kora said, running past, jumping on top of the wagons, and using them for bursts of speed and avoiding running into people. “Be calm. Be patient. Love will never forsake you and neither will I! Do not haste, but do  no rest. I will do what I can to keep the drow away from thee. I will protect you if it cost me my life.”

Cardur let out a sigh of relief followed by the light footsteps of the quick and nimble footsteps of Kora on the wagons. He was relieved truly, for he now had more time than he thought he needed. He knew it too. If anyone could keep the drow away it was him. He never came face to face with a drow in combat, but based on the stories he read on the faces of the elves, including that of the Ranger’s Guild, he knew he would stand no chance against them. None at all. He did not want that misfortune!

Kridruk as well could desire nothing less than coming into contact with the ruthless drow. There were no wizards among them, they would be worse off than dead. Dorio could only imagine, as being under forced bondage with one of the most powerful witches alive, or dead. He knew what it was like to be ensnared by the powers of evil, and he desired no more than Kridruk to come across another demon such as that. “I will not die like this. Death was I before...just as I am now. Unverdus revive me! Return me into my body, and encase me like the Dorio that I was before!”


“Dark. Dark. Dark...are we dead?” Gilmir’s voice quivered in great tribulation. He felt around him and could feel only few rocks, rough edges cut at his fingertips. He hushed his voice. “Anyone there?”

“Quiet Gilmir! Hush your tone! Bring it all down to a whisper!” Yun said. He felt a kick to his leg. “Thanks Lorana.”

“Even in dire circumstances I am quick to act, I act without the need to think.” she replied, in her longer than usual sentences, which required much less words to get across. Yun got used to her speaking so much during the days spent in Kinasa, though they were very brief. “Worry not, the debris was carefully set down.”

“Thank thee I thank thee very much gladly!” Gorda exclaimed silently.

“What be that noise!” said another voice. Gilmir heard footsteps all around. These drow he heard, speaking in their guttural voices, no doubt still in the dark, for they liked the dark more so than they liked seeing the death of their enemies! He recalled the black fires, and of course how could he forget Gorgonus. The drow commander he fought months ago. The drow swore he would search the ends of the Earth for him specifically. No stone would remain unturned until he was dead.

“This cannot be.” said another voice. “They cannot all be dead! I knew you should not have thrown them from that high up! They are dead.” The speaking drow sighed.

Why? Why would they be speaking in the common tongue? It does not make any sense. Gilmir thought to himself, analyzing the situation he and his three companions were in. This was a dark situation in deed, and if they chose to do nothing then the drow would make their way west towards Paxis! That cannot happen, not while he lives. While he lives he will never allow this to happen. He moved around, pushing on rocks when he felt a stick poke his belly. He immediately pushed it away.

“Gilmir!” Lorana whispered. “Never...never ever ever do that! I have everything under control.”

“Wait what?” Yun asked, hearing soft shuffles on the ground. “What did you do?!” her voice never raised above a whisper.

“Look to the east in the darkness...I am doing something. Look to the west in the light I am doing nothing.” Lorana answered. “Look in my hand I have a book, look in the other there be my weapon. Look in front, and you stare in the eyes fiercer than that of any troll.”

“I have not the time for your riddles again Lorana! This is not the time for this!” Yun exclaimed quietly, raising her voice only a little sharply.

“Lorana! They are speaking in the common tongue!” Gilmir warned silently. “They know_”

“Do not think me a fool!” Lorana said back. “I know, I listen. I know exactly what is happening! It is the unhappening that will be happening!”

“What are you saying?! That does not make sense!” Gilmir retorted.

“Gorda, can you be so kind as to summon that sanctuary of yours again. It would be greatly appreciated.”

“But they will know we are still alive down here! I will not be the one to bring forth death and destruction to us!” Gorda complained, holding his staff very tightly.

“You knew what would happen! We were doomed to die at the start. We are all dead anyway. Mortals do not live forever so trying to is foolish.” Lorana sighed. “What if I told you…”

“What?” Gorda asked, wondering what nasty trick the wizard had up her sleeve. She was a devious one, and dangerously intelligent. It could be possible that given another century or so of magical practice she could exceed Crillion’s skill. Lorana gave no immediate response besides twiddling her thumbs. “What Lorana speak your thoughts!”

“They already know.” Lorana answered very calmly, too calm for anyone’s comfort.


“What do they know Lorana!” Gorda exclaimed.

“They know we are here and alive.” Lorana answered.

Gilmir wondered about this wizard. How is she so calm when the drow nearly killed us, and nearly without her aid would they die for sure. How in all of Alkathos did he end up dealing with a socially awkward, and potentially insane wizard. Surely being around her was nearly as dangerous as going against her. Furthur more, no sane warrior would dare charge a wizard head on without being blasted away, and Lorana could do so apparently as second nature.

“Are you with me on this Gorda? I cannot possibly do what I am doing and a sanctuary which I absolutely need for all of us at the same time. I need your sanctuary for this to work!” Lorana replied. “How be it so when an elf cleric loses his nerve? An elf cleric is supposed to have divine life and intervention and hope. Where be it? Alas the faith of God is truly against us for we have none of it! You are just as responsible as the rest of us were that Kinasa fell!”

“Fine I will...it will be as you say.” Gorda grimaced, having fear. He knew Unverdus would never forsake him as long as he remained true. but did he remain true. Does he believe now that the temple is destroyed and most memories with it. Kac is the one with the good book...or did he give it to Yara? The answers are in that book.

“Wait...you did realize...why did you choose now to say anything?” Gilmir asked. Yun remained silent, trying to perceive what is going to happen next. “After all this time?”

Patience is a virtue youngling. You will soon learn that!” Lorana said. “I be ready when you are.”

Gorda muttered a word under his breath, and the orb on his staff began to glow, not the great white light they remembered but darker. It was yellow like the dandelions in the spring.  It expanded, and once again they could see each others faces. Gilmir’s was one of uncertainty and a childlike fear, while Yun exhibited Determination. Gorda’s face was out of anxiety and Lorana remained blank as if it were somewhere else.

“It is time.” The wizard’s mutter was almost inaudible, and the rocks began to lift up from above them. The light returned followed by the screeches of agony.

“LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT PUT IT OUT! OUT IT OUT! KILL THEM ALL!” screeched a scurrying drow. “DAMN THEM! DAMN THEM ALL! SLAY THEM ALL!”

“This is I, I will snuff out the darkness and light it with a single candle.” Lorana exclaimed. Her staff held the rocks and boulders that used to be the ground underneath them. With great speed, the rubble shot out like projectiles towards the drow she aimed at. They were everywhere, and not all were destroyed, but some were, others too blind to react to anything.

Gilmir and Yun took the opportunity to fire arrows directly at the incapacitated drows, impaling few at one time. They only had time for that, for the light was snuffed out.

A voice echoed in their ears as loud as thunder, and booming with even greater force. It sent cold shivers down everyone’s spine, all except Lorana. She was heartless so it seemed for she could feel nothing anymore. They could turn around and look for signs of life, but it would do nothing for the perpetual darkness contaminated all that could seen. The virus spreads.

“You miserable leaf eared witch! I will kill you! You will die! All of you and your souls cast into the Abyss of Chaos!” The voice said.

Lorana, who of course had to be the contrary one said “Our souls cannot go to a place it already belongs!”

The other three gasped, and the loud voice went silent. There was no doubt in his mind, Gilmir knew Lorana went insane. No sane person can contradict someone who has the power to kill them in an instance...well stories have been said that Kac once did that...shortly after his first descent in the Abyss of Chaos. He must have been insane after that, if only temporarily.

A large purple eye appeared above them. The eye was purple, the pupil black as the souls that summoned them. The veins of the eyes were red with the blood of the deceased. Blood from the iron forest no doubt. That had to be the case. Had to be the reason for the blood to fuel the veins and into it cortex.

There was a high pitch screech so loud it defied any half step. Gilmir, Yun, and Gorda dropped everything to cover their ears as their screams were loud and incoherent. Lorana raised her staff to the eye.

“Surely you will die, and for what? You have lived a useless life believing all the useless lies. Your cunning cannot save you nor can Unverdus have you! I will destroy everything you have built and cut off all branches you tie yourself to! Look at those three, they all have prestige over you, and they bow before us! They kneel in pain and anger and distaste. Can you believe that you of all people can hope to defy us? I will kill all of you...you useless creatures!” The voice replied to her defiance.

“I HAVE DEDICATED MY HEART BODY AND SOUL TO THE GOD ABOVE NAMED UNVERDUS! I LOVE YOU UNVERDUS AND I WILL LET NOBODY TAKE MY LOVE FOR YOU! I HAVE GIVEN MY LIFE TO FOLLOW KAC AS HIS SHADOW FOR ONLY IN HIM HAVE YOU ENTRUSTED THE RENEWAL OF THIS FALLEN AND CORRUPT WORLD! I HAVE DEDICATED MYSELF TO THAT CAUSE AND YOUR HOLY WILL! AS SURELY AS I STILL LIVE I WILL LET THE WHOLE WORLD KNOW THAT I DID NOT DIE IN VAIN! DEATH AS A REWARD! DEATH IS MY JUST REWARD FOR ALL WHO SIN ARE DOOMED TO DIE AND I AM NO EXCEPTION! IN MY LAST MOMENTS AND IN MY DYING BREATH I WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT FOR SUCH A NOBLE CAUSE! DYING FOR SUCH IS OF GREAT AND NOBLE DESIRE! AS SURELY AS I LIVE AND AS SURELY AS YOU COMMAND I WILL LIVE AND DIE BY YOUR WILL AND NO WILL WILL DECIDE THAT FATE FOR ME! NOT YOU! NOT THE SEVEN! NOT EVEN DECREPANTAUR WHO I OPENLY DEFIED AND WHOEVER VIRCONA BE< I OPENLY DEFY HER! I WILL KILL ALL WHO BE OBSTACLES IN MINE AND KAC’S PATH! NO ONE CAN DECIDE WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG ANYMORE WITHOUT THAT BOOK AND IT SHALL BE SAID THAT THE WORLD WILL RESTORE TO ITS NATURAL ORDER! WHO EVER YOU ARE< KAC AND I; AS LONG AS THE HOURGLASS CONTINUES TO TURN, WE WILL BRING FORTH THE NEW WORLD! THIS WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT WILL CEASE TO EXIST! WITH THE HELP OF UNVERDUS I WILL RIP OUT YOUR ROOTS, AND THE ROOTS OF THOSE THAT CREATED YOU!” she screamed her monologue out loud and the screeching subsided. She turned her gaze into the pupil, starring it with extreme hate and prejudice. “I will defeat you, and destroy this cruel world. EVEN IF IT BE THE LAST THING I DO!”

“DIE NOW!”

The purple light emitted from the retinas of the eyes enclosed upon the four. With that they should be dead, but alas the strength of Gorda returned, and with little energy he had to bear in this great demise he summoned a sanctuary, shielding his companions and could Lorana holding her staff, pointing it in the epicenter. Sparks and white hot liquid emitted from the two blasts; one of Lorana’s spell, and one of the Great Eye!

“Yana take the others to safety, I will handle this! They must be saved or risk eternal damnation. I know not what this is but_” Kora said, jumping into the perpetual darkness, seeing only the eyes, and the small amount of light coming from the wizard and cleric, who grimaced at the energy they used to protect their friends. It was of great stress and only a hidden sense of purpose allowed them to push on. This eye did all but spent, for the life essence that belonged to their body was being sapped by the eye itself.

“That is the eye of Grendum. One of the keepers of the Abyss of Chaos...one of the layers underneath the Abyssal chaos. The gateway to that realm is only through the Inescapable Prison.” Yana replied. “What an end fitting for two legends do you not think so?”

“There is not time to waste on this history lesson Yana!” Kora said angrily. “I will kill it?”

“Kill it?” Yana said. “That is the summoned apparition of the keeper, which is immortal. You kill it they can summon it once more. Grendum is not a creature you wish to be making battle with. I ends , truly it all ends here.”

“Enough pessimism!” Kora scolded.

“And you would not wish me to free myself of the responsibility of destroying such a creature would you not? I desire to kill what claims to be immortal!” Yana said. “I will prove them all wrong!”

Kora heard Yana jump off a tree, and her shadow appeared above the fighting elves, clinging on to their lives as it was sucked away. The angry elf landed on the back of the elf, stabbing what appeared to be veins from what she could see. Yes they were veins and alas blood spurted everywhere. The strike from the sword forced the attack from the eye as it moved back and forth, shaking, rolling, slamming into the perceived trees.

“Damn you Yana.” Kora said under her breath as she moved to where the light used to be. She found Yun, Gilmir, Gorda and Lorana, all devoid of energy, and sleeping on the ground. “Damn, this could be a problem.”

The eyes screamed in the air, sending waves of invisible force towards all as the blades of Yana sunk deeper. “DIE GRENDUM DIE!” she cackled in the air. “Remember me not! I remember thee! I will prove to the world you can kill a keeper, and I am going to do it today! Right here! Right now!”

“ELVES DESTROY!” Grendum grimaced. It rolled in the tree lines, sending Yana crashing away, with one sword impaled in the back of his lidless eye. He looked, and it appeared that Yana was dead, for a branch impaled her innards.

Kora found the body as well, and despaired. The thoughts of one legend coming in at one time, the oldest legend of them all, falling so easily to this creature that is seemingly immortal. “Fool. Did you want to die!? Yana! LIVE!”

“Yana Sua, I remember thee, your soul found its way into my realm only to be taken back by Aikanaro, and Unverdus. That soul belongs to me!” Grendum replied, shifting his gaze from her to Kora, the only one left conscious. She could feel it, the essence of life she has being sucked out. She could see the light of her soul being sucked into the retinas like a vacuum.

She took out her bow, and fired it into the epicenter of the eyes, who only blocked it with one of the veins, detaching itself to protect Grendum.

Is this how it was to end? With the great disparity of hope and despair? Alas, even the two legends despaired against a foe so great from the Abyss of Chaos. These drow...if they can do this they can march right into the lands of the seven, without cause and destroy them all. Then would be the downfall of the men, and last would be the peaceful land of the halflings. Surely they would be happier to see halflings enslaved than happy and free. “Unverdus...I love you. I tried. Will you forgive me? Accept me in your loving arms?” she cried, her tears falling like a river onto the ground. Whatever planted itself here would only be done by the pure feelings of Kora, the despair. Let it be. “Let me be. Help me to know Unverdus that there is cause for there to know after my shifting from one world unto the next help me see that this world will get better. Let me see your hand on these people. I would rather damn my soul to the Abyss of Chaos for eternity than to allow your chosen people, adopted and birthed to live in this cruel world whilst I can still have say what is good and right under your wisdom.”

“There be a time for that. Forgiveness and damnation does not come easily for anyone’s decision. It all belongs to Unverdus whether you live or die, Unverdus will always have His hand here. I can assure you he has his hands in all things mother. I love you.” Kac said, coming forth from the darkness. “Do not be afraid. Do not be afraid. Do not...be afraid!”

Those words were spoken to her yet again to lift up her spirit. Why now of all times and why did it have to come from him? Why her only son who was adopted, not birthed for she is still celibate. She planned to stay that way, for reasons unbeknown to the world for eyes are closed though they see, and ears are deaf though they hear. “Three? Like the time? That time? The time past this time has come again as it weaves its message through my ears like a beautiful ode!”

“Yes.” She heard the knock of an arrow right behind her. “Be not afraid mother. I will never let anything harm you. For I am the new protector of this world!”

“Who...who are you that so carelessly approach me? I am Grendum guardian of the realm beneath the realm to be avoided or else despair. I will eat your soul, and you will never feel the love of Unverdus ever again you fool!” the eye said in its powerful voice. “Do you think that you can stop me, the guardian of the underneath! Underneath your very heart I know your soul!”

“My soul is not for eating and until the time of my hourglass fails to turn, I will continue to live and fight. I will destroy all that threatens my Lord, and my people!” Kac said, the arrow glimmering in the darkness, revealing a sharp smile of joy. “I miss very little. I assure you I cannot miss!”

“Missing is not the quest_” Grendum began before the arrow of light pierced his eye. Alas once the full penetration happened there was a series of explosions from inside Grendum, The veins around it spurt out the blood of the elves, and released agonizing screams of pain. “MAKE IT STOP!” The eye began to move sporadic as spikes appeared out of Grendum. These spikes seemed to be made of the same material as Grendum as parts of him began to make sudden movements unnatural to the eye in the air.

“Die Grendum...or rather return to the hidden pit you call home and keep your soul out of this world.” Kac said, releasing another arrow, and the eye exploded, leaving nothing but blood on the ground.

The light returned, and so did the the wind. What traveled upon the wind was the chorus of screams belted out by the drow, both the living and the dead. Their eyes bled out as they covered their eye sockets with their hands . Kora observed all but one rolling in the pools of blood left by Grendum, until they died. One lay by the tree, one of his eyes completely gone.

He breathed heavily, holding one hand on his chest. He crawled up, so his back was against the tree as Kac approached him with Fakino’s sword drawn, and seemingly ready to kill. The jagged edges of that ancient blade reached the drow’s neck.

“Go on! Flawful elf! Finish it! Kill me go for it!” he screeched as he closed his eyes waiting for a response from the elf who so easily destroyed a demon from the underworld. Kac did not pierce the skin of the drow rather waiting. For a time that seemed like forever, Kora wondered what her son would do. Is he debating on killing the drow, telling all a message for those who would later tell this story? The story of a demon bring two legends down on their knees with little more than a spoken word, and yet this… this elf was so much more. He brought so much more to the world than she ever could.

She remembered the stories that were said about this elf in the older days when he was still young. His father went mad, or so it was said, and he disappeared into Cadrasar. That was the rumor anyway. Many would say that he went screaming something about an ancient prophecy. He screamed about Decrepantaur’s return which seems almost inevitable now. Who knows where he disappeared to, no one knows. There is no real evidence that he even exists, or had in the past beside spoken words to whom people who knew were dead. The dead cannot speak.

Thoughts shifted from his mother, who people claimed died in a war. Died in a skirmish they said, a skirmish that was designed to bring back her husband as they went deep into the bowels of Cadrasar. People claimed she went ahead on her own, that was what the report said. The report...everything was on that report certain things unknown to the rest of the world. Best kept secrets.

The only way to find out the truth...was to read that report! The only way to find that report...was to delve back into the forest that she knew not where it was anymore. She would not be able to see, but she had to know the secrets about Kac Xaizan. He is stronger than anything than she has ever seen, perhaps even stronger than Decrepantaur! He truly was a grand mystery, a mystery that needed to be unraveled.

The drow grunted as Fakino’s blade nicked him. “What are you waiting for! Finish_”

“Why should I be allowed to kill you? That could be casting the death penalty upon thee and I have not this desire. It is not according to my degree that I can do such a thing. It belongs to higher, the God Unverdus has sent me, not to condemn the world or those in it. I have my task, and it will mean certain things must happen.” The drow trembled at the words he spoke. “You will die, dark elf but not by my hand. It will happen soon enough. I will release you and I think you now know how dangerous black magic can be. It costs something. Yes it is the most powerful form of magic, but if defeated it leaves its caster with a price that only the caster can pay. This case left many of your fellows dead, and you nearly blind. It matters little any more, you personally are no threat to anyone for you cannot see anymore. Drow, I suggest you take thy leave and go back into that iron forest.”

“Who are you?” The drow asked, struggling to get to his feet. The spell powerful enough to bring forth a demon from underneath the Abyss of Chaos, in one of the other layers of the Nine Hells. He stared down wondering if the price was worth it, even less so, he cannot see nor would he ever be able to summon a beast from that realm again to bring forth his will unto the world. A great price to pay.

“My name means nothing. It is nothing. It is meaningless.” Kac said, turning his back upon the drow, putting his sword back in its sheath. “Now hurry up before I change my mind!”

The drow scurried off into the woods, slipping on blood and tripping on roots, falling into the shrubbery. He marched off, using the trees for support in his weakened state.

Kac turned to Kora, who looked on him with a despairing look. The two brought the elves: Lorana, Yun, Gilmir and Gorda over to the hole that was created as a result, and waiting until they woke up.


© 2015 Armanis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on December 17, 2015
Last Updated on December 17, 2015
Tags: drow, elves, magic, adventure, legends, myths, supernatural, spells, casters, Rangers, Wizards


Author

Armanis
Armanis

Revere, MA



About
I am a fantasy author. I do some writing of poetry and short stories under a different name. My writing takes place in the dungeons and dragon world but in an alternate universe since my story doesn't.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Gamble Prologue: Gamble

A Chapter by Armanis


Royal Brood Royal Brood

A Chapter by Armanis


The Unholy Tree The Unholy Tree

A Chapter by Armanis