The Light

The Light

A Story by Arthur Galbraith
"

A collection of thoughts

"

I was adrift. I was floating in the ether without purpose, direction, or meaning. I was lonely, but I did not know it. How does one know one is sad if one has never truly been happy?


I began to feel something. A disturbance in the ether. I didn’t know what it meant; I’m not sure I know what it means now. I ignored it for as long as I could, it seemed an annoying intrusion of emotion on the void that was my existence: disruptive, chaotic, yet strangely exciting.


The awakening was slow. It took a while to become aware of the cause. It was ever present, but just out of sight, until I finally saw you. You were a small flash of bright in the otherwise uniform grey of my existence. I pushed you away, as I could, but I was always drawn back.


We’ve moved closer. I am now fueled by your light. I have come to know that without it, this journey is meaningless. Now it is you who slows my approach. The thought of losing your light is terrifying; I dare not approach too quickly.


What will happen as we move yet closer? Will I be able to bask in your light, or will my darkness drive you away? Only time will tell. I am excited and terrified to find out; now I know what it is to be happy.

© 2016 Arthur Galbraith


Author's Note

Arthur Galbraith
I don't really know what this is exactly. It's a bit of an experiment with imagery. I welcome any constructive input.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Even though this isn't my personal favorite genre (poetic and metaphorical), I really liked it! I thought it was really romantic in the way that, for me, was a very good description of love.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 16, 2016
Last Updated on August 16, 2016
Tags: Loss, Discovery

Author

Arthur Galbraith
Arthur Galbraith

Canada



About
I'm a software developer by day, but every once in a while I like to indulge in creative writing as a form of relaxation. I've decided to start sharing my work with the goal of learning something and .. more..

Writing