The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it

The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it

A Story by Anshuman Aryav

 



Hope: The most powerful force in the universe. It was the hope that saved my life that day. His hope to save me and my hope to be saved by him. That day I realized, even a single person can bring change to the world.
In today’s modern era, world has progressed in various sectors and every industry is flourishing by leaps and bounds. But is it enough for creating a better future or a better place to live in? The reality is that the life on earth is in danger, the future is in danger. And humans are doing nothing to save it from destruction and now the greatest threat to the planet is the belief that someone else will save it.
I was crawling on the ground just like an earthworm or a snail. I was in pain as my leg was injured and couldn’t able to even stand on my own. Many people were passing by me but I received only ignorance from them. I thought- “How a human can help me? And even why should they help me? They are human and they talk about humanity. I am not a human. Will they help me?” I was thinking. Suddenly a group of man came near me, I was little bit scared but there was a hope that they will help me. But I was wrong. A man from the group uttered �" “Let’s move, it’s not our job..Why should we do this? Someone else will save it.” These words were more painful and hurting than my injured leg. I was broken inside.
I saw a garden near me and to protect myself from street dogs, I started crawling my body towards that garden by gathering my all strength. A boy saw me and wanted to touch me but was scared of doing so. With a hand of affection, he titillated me, that touch gave me a little strength and a hope. I was a bit afraid of his act but I have no other option so I let him do what he was doing. He carried me to his house and kept me on a blanket. That blanket was just a piece of cloth for the whole world but for me it was a silver lining in that dark situation. He offered me some water in a container and some food to eat and by doing so he was trying to establish a bond of trust, love and mutual understanding with me. I look straight into his eye, showing silent gratitude and for a few seconds it relieved my pain but both of us knew that my leg was injured and we couldn’t ignore this. I started seeing light in spite of being surrounded by darkness. And it was the light of hope that kept me alive till now. The boy felt my pain and started contacting various rescue centres near him. He tried his level best to reach any rescue centre and contacted many to save my life but what he received from them was same as I received lying near the street. It was ignorance. His approach was ignored by the authorities. This incident also reminded me of the guy who said that someone else will save me and it was not his job. After an hour of full dedication, he came near me and again we looked into each other eyes. There was a disappointment and sadness in those eyes but he was trying to hide his feeling with a deep and mysterious silent on his face. Apart from disappointment there was a little hope glancing in his eyes and he decided to try for a last time. He was heading toward his phone to contact anyone for a last time but at sudden the phone rings. He received the call, there was divisional forest officer that side asking him about his current location. There was a strange pleasure on his face. A few tears of happiness were there in his eyes. Again we looked into each other’s eye, trying to convey our feelings though silence and finally a group of five foresters came and rescued me. This is how he protected me, saved a life, a life of a great egret. He showed me that food was not only means of communication between a man and animal but there were other means of establishing a bond through trust, affection and mutual understanding. That day I realized that the hope is the most powerful force in the universe. This efforts may seem small to many humans but he realized that every matter matters a lot and if we can’t do little things right then it’s impossible to do big things right. And now it was the time to leave and for the last time we looked into each other teary eyes.


Humans need to realise that there is a mutual relationship between each and every matter of the planet whether it is a biotic or an abiotic factor. There is an ecological balance and stability and a little disturbance can create a big destruction. Humans want to protect environment but actually they need to create a world where the environment doesn’t need any protection or caring. They need to realise that the environment is the inevitable part of their life and if they do little things of their daily habitual actions properly it can create a change and a big impact to the nature. This is the time to stop ignoring by saying that it is someone else’s job or duty to save the planet as the greatest threat to this planet is the belief that someone else will save it.



 

© 2020 Anshuman Aryav


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Artificial and mimicking real things is becoming a new norm. However, I wish more people could understand the significance of what nature has got for us. And we stop relying on other people to come and save the world when in reality we have the power to become a hero and saviour.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Very true...it has been long since humans have forgotten how to live with nature...everything is artificial now a days...but only realization can cure this disease...there can be no world without nature its guardian.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I too agree with you. Sending a strong message here.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I do agree my friend.
"Humans want to protect environment but actually they need to create a world where the environment doesn’t need any protection or caring. "
I am 1/2 Ojibwa and I believe. We must be kind to each other and the planet. We need the earth more then she need us. Thank you for sharing the powerful and worthwhile words.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2020
Last Updated on June 14, 2020


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Teacher The Teacher

A Poem by Raj Sahu


Merciless. Merciless.

A Story by Zephyr