Heart of Stone: Prologue

Heart of Stone: Prologue

A Chapter by ashesonfire
"

Ainion, second son and prince of the elves, is introduced to the idea of an arranged marriage, to help ally two nations in order to win a vast war.

"


The House of Talos

Heart of Stone


Prologue


“You really should lighten up,” Ainion’s brother, High Prince Mortarus of the Elven Kingdom, informed him, an amused expression playing on his strong face.

Ainion glared up at his brother, his bright green eyes narrowing into deadly slits.  Ainion was a tall elf, but his brother was taller than even typically tall elves.  “It is improper.  Highly improper.  We may have short courtships in our own kingdom, but I have never met the chit, and you plan to have me wed her within hours of meeting her?”

Mortarus shrugged his broad shoulders and stared ahead as they walked up towards the shabby barbaric home that passed for a castle.  “We are following their traditions to please them, and that is how they wish to proceed.  This alliance is highly necessary if we are to win this war, and keeping these” Mortarus sneered, “barbarians happy, will help assure this alliance.”  Mortarus’ deep brown eyes linked with Ainon’s bright green ones, before a grin spread wide across his light face, “But really brother, you are too proper for your own good sometimes.”

“And you are not proper enough,” Ainion scoffed at his older brother.  “Being the heir, you should be the one concerning yourself with propriety while I as the younger brother should be the one flipping up skirts in dark corners.”

Mortarus touched his large hand to his chest with mock surprise, trying his best to suppress a laugh in the process.  “Here I never thought I would hear the distinguised Prince Ainion talking about flipping up skirts where one could easily be overheard.  My dear brother, if it was your hearts desire to be the one ‘flipping up skirts in dark corners’ I would have never begrudged you of your honorary duties as the younger brother.”  His eyes danced with a mocking laughter.  

Mortarus’ deep chuckle only added to Ainion’s headache, as his own cheeks were surely red.  Ainon did not wish to switch places with his brother’s so blatant disregard for the rules, he had simply meant that Mortarus should have been the one to be more concerned with how society ran.  “How father did not disinherit you years ago is beyond me.”

“Well,” Mortarus started, “this is because father is our mother’s puppet, and mother has a strong liking of me.”

“Well I never really did trust mother’s judgement,” Ainion said in a tone that Mortarus could not interpret as serious or in jest, before Ainion tossed him a light smile to indicate which one it was.

Ainion always knew he would most likely marry for duty, to which he was happy to comply.  He still would have liked to get to know his future wife a bit better before having to wed and bed her.  His older sister, Elizabeth, had married out of duty, and was now a queen in her own right.  He imagined things had been much worse for her than it was for him.  Liz was still very much a maid and still nearly a girl when she was married, and he was sure quite scared out of her wits to be marrying the intimidating and fierce Prince Lionel at the time.

Ainion’s circumstances was quite a bit better.  Not only was he male, and not unfamiliar to the comforts of women, but he would not be the one in servitude as a wife is to her husband.  Yes, he was much more fortunate to be born of the male species.  Yes, he would do his duty and take it in stride.

Mortarus clasped him on the back when they approached the stone doors, to which opening would surely seal his fate.  “Come along, Ainion, let us go get you a wife.”



© 2014 ashesonfire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm intrigued by this prologue. nice stuff

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prologues are something new for me. For both "SWORN" and "HUNTER" prologue wasn't in the forecast till I began giving the idea some thought. How can I set the stage and set things into motion without giving away what the story is going to be about. So in saying that, you leave me wondering what your story is going to be about. This is well written and leaves me wondering what is in store. Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


ashesonfire

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much! Yes, this was my first attempt at a Prologue, and I find them tricky. Black O.. read more
This is very interesting and different. It's a rather good beginning:)! Can't wait to read more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ashesonfire

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much :D Something different I've been trying out. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 13, 2013
Last Updated on February 3, 2014
Tags: elf, elves, war, romance, arranged, marriage, love, fantasy


Author

ashesonfire
ashesonfire

KS



About
I grew up in Texas, lived in Illinois for 2 years, and just moved to Kansas City :D I'm 24, married, with two dogs. I love rock music, I knit and crochet, and love movies of all types. I can be .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by ashesonfire