Whoa, Who Invited the Zombies

Whoa, Who Invited the Zombies

A Story by Alewis

      I checked my tape recorder over and over to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. I knew there wasn’t but I was such a control freak. Everything has to be correct doing this first interview. First I was going to start with the local school over in Concord. I wanted to discover the reasoning behind teachers and about the local school play that was going on. My next goal was to go to an occupy movement in Walnut Creek.

Checked my watched and had at least ten minutes to get to the school. I sighed and left the tape recorder alone and put it in my satchel. I checked around the house one last time to make sure everything was in it’s place before walking out. The school wasn’t that great. There was trash across the ground and a flock of seagulls hovering around. I covered my head as I ran across the quad area. I managed to dodged bird crap on my way over to the first class.

       The first person I decided to interview was a math teacher. I walked in to his class and there weren’t a lot of students in there. There was at least ten kids in the class. He was bald on the top of his head with grey hair on the sides. He was taller than me. I sighed and shook his hand and laid out the tape recorder and grabbed my note book.

       “So why did you become a math teacher?” I asked.

       He shrugged before answering. “I actually majored in another subject but this is what they had to offer.”

      I quickly copied down everything he said and nodded. “Why is math important in today’s world. What is the benefits of it?”

      “Well math allows you to be more creative in solving world’s problems.” I had everything I needed from this teacher and stood up.

      “Thank you for your time and I’ll be on my way,” I shook his hand which was starting to sweat. I had to hold back my sounds of disgust until I walked out the room. Once outside I quickly poured hand sanitizer all over my hand. I can’t stand germs.

It seemed he wasn’t actually happy with his subject he had to teach. I shook my had and went to the next teacher. She was more lenient towards me and answered each question without dragging on. I’d interviewed her and went on my way.

I had gotten through the day and ended up with a lot of information on some of these teachers. It had seemed to me that none of them were actually happy with their subjects. Maybe this was a cause for students who didn’t understand the work because the teachers weren’t actually good at teaching.

At home I continued listening to the recordings wondering about these schools and if teachers. It seemed as if they were only teaching for the money instead of the kids. It wasn’t really any of my business but maybe it was something worth writing about.

Minutes later my phone rang and I answered. “Hello?”

“Oh! Anna lets go occupy Walnut Creek this Wednesday!” My friend Dina said. I thought about it for a couple of minutes and decided why not.

“Alright then, why not? I guess I’ll come along and see the protestors,” I told her. She squealed. I had to take the phone away from my ear. Dina I know Dina for a while but had just started hanging out with her this last pass year. She was shorter than me with reddish brown hair. She was a really cool person to hang with especially sense she was pretty sarcastic. Once she stop squealing I put the phone back to my ear.

“Okay see you real soon!” She hung up. I sighed. She could be so energetic at times that it was hard to keep up with her. I grabbed my lap top to search about this occupy movement. Protestors were going to be on the corner holding signs. I sighed. I needed to get answers and learn more about this movement even if it killed me. My head began hurting so I grabbed a Tylenol and went to bed.

 

The next couple of days dragged on really slow, but managed to make it to Saturday real fast. The weather looked real scary with all the grey clouds in the sky. I put on some jeans and long sleeved shirt and grabbed my rain-coat. The ride there wasn’t long so I would make it on time. There were people standing on each corner with different signs. I saw Dina standing across from me speaking to one of the protestors. I grabbed my bag and took the note pad and began doing the same.

I stopped an old lady who had just finished crossing the street. She was short with grey hair and wrinkles all over her face. I smiled and began asking her questions. I found out that her purpose for protesting was to make sure people would understand that there are people out there with nothing. I nodded at each of her answers which were amazing. I was so into our conversation that I jumped when I hear someone scream. I looked across the street and there was at least four people attacking some of the protestors. The four stood out because they were kind of grey looking and dead. One was on top of a protestor biting their neck. I watched as the flesh tore from the person. I turned my head and puked into a bush. What were those things? Someone grabbed my shoulder and I held back my scream. It was only Dina.

“Hey. We got to get out of here Anna. There are zombies everywhere.” she was gasping for air.

“Are you bit?” I asked her. She shook her head. I grabbed her hand and dragged her away from the chaos. We ran as far as we could but noticed there were zombies everywhere. I grabbed my small video camera and began recording these monsters.

“What are you doing Anna?” Dina asked looking at me as if I was crazy.

“Making money. This could be great footage and a story to write about,” I told her. She shook her head and start pulling me away. Glass was falling from the buildings and we had to dodge them. While we were running a small piece fell into my shoulder blade. I cringed and fell down, pulling Dina with me.

“My shoulder,” I whimpered. She put one arm around her neck and helped me up. We ran into an alley way and hid behind a dumpster.

“We need to pull the glass out and then stop the bleeding,” she said. I nodded and she ripped the bottom of my shirt. I squeezed my eyes shut as she pulled the glass shard out my shoulder. I bit my tongue to hold back my scream. She wrapped my shoulder with the shirt and tied it tightly.

“I need to get more footage of the zombies then make it home. My car should be close by here.” I told her. She nodded.

“Well get your camera ready and make sure your shoes are tied so we can run the hell out of here!” We both stood up and peeked from behind the wall. The coast was clear and there were no zombies to be found. We dashed to the right and ran like slaves. After a few seconds the zombies began to follow after us. There was a lot of dead bodies on the ground that we had to jump over. I held my camcorder out and aimed it toward the zombies while speaking.

“Right now we are being chased by zombies that appeared during the occupy Walnut Creek protest. They just appeared and no ones knows where they have came from. There is a lot of dead bodies on the ground…men, women, and children. Its such a sad lost.” I cut the camera off and opened the car door. Dina hopped in the back. I started the car backing up into about ten undead. I put the car in drive and drove home.

By the time I made it home along with Dina, there were no zombies in sight. We rushed in and I slammed the door behind us locking it shut. I had one of those barriers to block the door because I was afraid someone would try to break in at night while I was sleeping. I walked over to my desk opened the lap top. I couldn’t believe how many people were on face book posting about this damn zombie apocalypse. I rolled my eyes and plugged in the camera and posted the video to multiple sights giving them my name and number.

Hopefully people would get it and call if there was a safe place to go during this chaos. I sat down and leaned my head back. Wrong move. I winced at the pain in my shoulder and went to the bathroom to clean up. On my way I spoke to Dina.

“You know where everything is. There is clothes in the guest room, maybe you can find your size.” I told her. She nodded and hugged me, careful to not hurt my shoulder. I grabbed my utensils and closed the door. The water took a short time to heat up and I rinsed the blood from my body scrubbing all the filthy germs off. I was a neat freak and everyone knew it. It usually would piss people off when I would hand them hand sanitizer before they shook my hand or touched me. I sighed and after thirty minutes of bathing I got out. I grabbed my emergency kit and bandaged my shoulder up better. The cut wasn’t as deep as I thought but it hurt like hell. When I was finished I walked out and Dina was on the phone talking rapidly.

“Okay, well just stay in doors mom.” she said. She turned and waved at me. I sat down on the couch and sighed again. How in the world did this interview turn into zombies chasing us all over the place. Dina sat next to me and sighed also.

“My mom is freaking about where I’m at. She wants me to hurry and come home but I’m not going out there until I know it’s safe,” I nodded.

“I’m going to continue my story even though its no use but it’ll give me something to do. There’s a couple of movies in the drawer if you want to put them in.” I said. She smiled and began her search. I walked back to the computer and had ten messages already. Some were people responding to the video. The safest place was in San Francisco. I shook my head. There was no way I was going across the bridge with all those zombies out there. They probably crossed the bridge and attacked it. There had to be something else out there. I kept on looking and finally there was a shelter where the army was guarding. It was said that there were no zombies there and they were tightly guarded with weapons and food. I smiled glad that there was somewhere to go.

“Dina I found our salvation. Its close by here and hopefully we can make it in no time,” I told her. She brightened up and walked to my side.

“I think you could finish your story,” she said. I nodded and that was my plan anyways. I got up and started packing up clothes and necessities. I passed Dina a bag to pack food with and she stalked off to the kitchen. I continued cleaning around in my room for anything important that I would need. There was a crash in the kitchen and Dina screamed. I ran to her and a zombie had got in through the window. He was fat and I mean fat. He was round like a ball but just huge. He had drool coming out his mouth and was staring at Dina and I. We backed up slowly back to my room. I picked up the butter knife and remembered ways to kill a zombie. The stab to the head was best. I squeezed the knife and kept backing up slowly. Dina bumped into the vase which fell and shattered. The noise snapped the zombie out of his trance and he faced towards us. He ran towards us and I lunged the knife in his eye dodging his teeth and hands. He fell and slammed into the floor. I locked my bedroom door and opened the sliding door to the back yard.

We went around and jumped into the car. Another herd of zombies were walking or running towards us. I pressed the gas and went the long way to the base. I didn’t want to lead the zombies to us but maybe there was no choice. I reversed and slammed in to them all.

“Anna, there is a lot of them. Just drive seriously fast like now.” I nodded and drove as fast as I could.

 

The base was actually much further than I thought. As we drove along towns began to look more deserted. There were bodies all over the place. Some were zombies and some were humans. I had to hold my breath to keep from throwing up. It was just so gruesome. Dina was silent beside me. She was staring forward with a blank expression on her face.

When we arrived to the base my jaw dropped. There was nothing standing there anymore. It was tore down and abandoned. I heard Dina gasp. I looked around for anything but there was nothing. How could this be? We continued to drive around and there was nothing but dead people on the ground. I started to cry. I just couldn’t take it. There was suppose to be a base. I kept driving around until I found something.

“Anna. Nothings here. Lets just keep on driving.” I shook my head in denial. I didn’t want to give up. Not here. Not now. I sighed and turned around. I looked forward and notice smoke was rising from the ground. I laughed out loud. This was just weird and not right. That smoke wasn’t there just seconds ago. I drove faster and pulled into the lot. There was an intact building that was boarded up. Dina and I stepped out the car . We walked to the wall and knocked. Some one opened the peephole to peek through.

“Are you infected?” the deep voice asked. We both shook our heads. He opened the door and there was at least half the town in there. I looked at Dina who must have had the same thought as me. She grabbed a pen and paper and I took the tape recorder out.

Maybe I could find a better story to write by interviewing all of the survivors of this zombie apocalypse.

© 2011 Alewis


Author's Note

Alewis
its not my best write but please bare with me

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There are some grammatical errors, but hey whatever. There weren't enough to detract from the story. I enjoyed this because of the main character, Anna. At the beginning it was very natural, her being a journalist, right? Just interviewing teachers and having a normal life. Then the next day more journalist stuff then BAM ZOMBIES. I enjoyed that, but I would also like to know like, how did they know they were zombies? Why did they think there were zombies? I feel like if I saw a zombie, I would probably not jump to zombie, you know? But, it was still good. I can see Dina is a strong character, taking control and saying, "Hey we need to get out of here." And not panicking when Anna gets hurt. The bit of Anna on her computer was nice too. News spreads fast these days! Also, the zombies spread fast too, which I thought was crazy. It might just be me, but I feel like it would be a little contained, but it did start at a protest where there were a lot of people on one place. Anyways, Dina talking to her mom seemed very natural and nice. I liked that part because family is very important. Anna didn't really think too much about her family, so I assume they are out of the picture. Lastly, driving through the deserted towns, and her being sick is definitely something I can relate to. The ending was very nice. I am really glad Anna stuck to her instincts in the end. I thought it was a very nice story to read and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alewis

11 Years Ago

Thanks! i really apreciate it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 30, 2011
Last Updated on November 30, 2011

Author

Alewis
Alewis

CA



About
i write stories about supernatural or jusst mabe once a normal setting more..

Writing
Adalia's Anger Adalia's Anger

A Story by Alewis


To Stay or Go? To Stay or Go?

A Story by Alewis