Dogs of the Black Moon (Chapter One, The Dog)

Dogs of the Black Moon (Chapter One, The Dog)

A Story by Calista MacKinnon
"

Another damn stray. That's what everyone thought of Eden when she was first dropped off on the outskirts of town. Maybe she was stray, but when she meets the Pack, she knows she's worth so much more.

"
"Get out you stupid mutt."
Eden the German Shepherd was thrown out the car door, hitting her head off of the damp pavement. Before she knew it, her so called 'friend to the end' drove away, the tail lights of that old Honda were almost taunting Eden. 
This wasn't new, though. Eden was going on her third year and had already been in the eyes of four masters. Four masters who didn't treat her right. Four masters who treated her like the garbage strewn all over the road she was standing on.
She didn't want any more masters. She wanted to use the legs Lupus gave her, to run until the ground beneath her crumbled, not walk around on a chain. She wanted to drink from a glimmering lake, not a dirty bowl that didn't have enough water for even a mouse. She wanted to taste the fresh blood and flesh of a rabbit, not dry kibble. But most of all, she wanted to be free. Eden knew she had to get shelter. All this daydreaming of freedom made her tired, and a storm was brewing overhead. As she started to walk the lonely, dark streets, she noticed how alone she was. Nothing stirred. As Eden walked a little farther, she discovered a little nook. It seemed comfortable, Eden could stay there. That's exactly what she did.
She fell asleep quickly, because of the stress and sadness that washed over her.

Soon, dawn pierced the town, waking everything softly, slowly. Eden was the last to get up. When she awoke, she saw people. Too many people. They didn't notice her, but she was afraid they would. She backed up. But it was a little too far. She bumped into a person!
"Get out of my way, you're just another damn stray."
"I've got to get out of here!" Eden yelped with fear.
Eden ran as fast as she could onto the street. A car almost ran over her. She started zigzagging to dodge the vehicles. She ran out of town as quickly as she could.

Soon, she had made it back to the outskirts of town. She needed to get as far away as she could from human civilization. She ran for the hills.
It took her many hours to get to water. She found the lake she had been imagining in her mind. It was clear and crystalline. It was the perfect water for a dog to drink, and so Eden started to drink.
She then started to get hungry. She saw a rabbit hop past her. She chased it, trying to hunt, but, it was no use. Suddenly, the shadow of another dog caught her attention.
"Hello!" Eden howled.
But the dog would not listen. They were hunting the rabbit! Eden ran after them, catching fairly quickly. She was now along side the other dog, who was a male Golden Retriever, about four years old.
"Hey. Want to help me catch this rabbit? It's for you, after all." The Golden Retriever asked.
"Sure!" Eden replied.
They ran in sync. They were actually catching up to the rabbit, who was screaming. Eden opened up her mouth, and her jaws slammed down on to the rabbit, her fangs deep into it's flesh. The Golden Retriever watched it all happen.
Eden lay the rabbit down on the ground. She tore off it's limbs, as she only wanted them. But, she gave the rest of the the rabbit to the Golden Retriever, which she asked his name.
"What's your name? Mine's Eden."
"My name is Hero. And are you really giving me this rabbit? Others in the Pack don't share." He replied.
"Yes, I am. What is the Pack?"
"You don't know? Well, it's a pack of strays that survive like wolves. I'm a part of it. Maybe you should join too."
"

© 2014 Calista MacKinnon


Author's Note

Calista MacKinnon
You can tell me what you think of this piece in any way. If it's not good, don't sugar coat it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on February 20, 2014
Last Updated on February 20, 2014
Tags: dogs, german shepherd, strays

Author

Calista MacKinnon
Calista MacKinnon

Nova Scotia, Canada