What If?

What If?

A Chapter by A. L. Allen

                We’ve all heard the stories; the ones with epic battles, damsels in distress, inner struggles and impossible odds. We know how they turn out. The prince defeats his inner demons, finds strength within himself, tackles his foes and saves the princess; and they all live happily ever after. The classic stories of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast are especially predominant in our society today. However, these stories and plights arouse some interesting questions.

                Let’s say that we were to switch around some key elements in the tales. What if, for example, the princess really wasn’t a princess, but just a normal girl, lacking an angelically beautiful face? Would the prince give up and turn home?

                What if the evil stepmother wasn’t truly evil, just misunderstanding? Would there be really be a villain?

                What if there was no handsome prince, but, rather, he was the villain that the non-princess needed to be rescued from? How would that affect the anticipated “Happily ever after” of the story?

                What if the Beast’s curse fell on the shoulders of a young girl, for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

                Welcome to the story of my life. A life where the question of “Why?” is always foremost on my lips. Why; why do these things happen to me? What horrible crime or unmentionable sin could I have committed to deserve such a fate? I’ll tell you.

                Absolutely nothing.

                I’m merely here, I merely existed. Fate just decided to single me out of the rat race we call life. I’m the experimental rodent, the one that Fate doesn’t care what happens to it, as long as it gets the results it needs. What those results may be is still a mystery.

                I’m sure some people out there would say “This is for your own good. It’ll mold your character, and then everything will turn out alright in the end.”

Will it really? I find that hard to believe.

I don’t think this story will have a happy ending; in fact, I highly doubt it. There is no prince in sight to come riding up on his noble steed and whisk me away to safety; no magical spell to turn the tables and make everything right again. There’s nothing out there to help me.

So, if you’ve picked up this book thinking, “Oh, no matter what happens, everything will turn out alright in the end.”  let me just warn you; it may not end in the way you expected. But, then again, maybe it will.

You’re now left with a choice. You can either close this book now and completely bypass the risk of reading a sad, if not depressing and tragic, ending; or you can stick through to the end, and see where it leads you.

If you haven’t closed this book yet, let me ask you one more question before you start on this trail of tears and broken hearts.

What if the Beast’s curse couldn’t be broken?



© 2012 A. L. Allen


Author's Note

A. L. Allen
Meh... I need an off switch for my brain so that I can stop new ideas from coming in and somehow be able to work on the ones I already have. :P

This is just an experiment; we'll see how far it goes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh I enjoyed this so much. I loved all the questions and how it actually did make me think. I adored how it ended with a question as well. All in all this was just... wonderful.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is AMAZING! I love the language used and how you related all those stories to the one main one. ANd the best part in my opinion is the last line, it just adds so much power to you story.
Please keep me updated if you continue:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMGIGETITIGETITIGETIT!!!! I thought this was all one story, and I was mega-confused (not an unfamiliar feeling for me:3), but then I got the title, and how they're all different books, and so, yeah.......that is my story.
(#^u^#)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Publish some, like misery, I guess most.
But ‘life’ that force of the Cosmos, gives all life an equal chance. It’s the chance part that hurts.


Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh wow can't wait to see where this goes!
But one question....

WHERE DO YOU FIND TIME TO WRITE ALL THESE WONDERFUL STORIES?!

Hehe anywho, keep me updated if you decide to countinue!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


a thought provoking chapter, I could hear myself butting in all through this straining at the leash to give my opinion, I had to settle into acceptance to go with it, you could lose some readers by warning them, about the chances of an unhappy ending...some like Fairy some like Tragedy, but the running analyses makes the reader want to stay tuned a while, its nice to listen to someone else thinking. will read the previous now, it will probably a trick and say something completely surprising or maybe now, you have got me thinking too much...ha ha. Thanks, I loved this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh goodness Ally this sounds interesting. But....ANOTHER ONE!?!?! I'm like hyperventilating here trying to review all the new chapters you have up cause I can't go on without reading them! (btw I've already read the complete chapter of Long Lost again, just haven't reviewed it yet.)

This is going to be another good one....

Posted 12 Years Ago


This sounds interesting, but you may or may not have to keep asking more unanswerable questions to keep the main plot line going a bit, well, just in my opinion. Anyways, it's quite a nice idea, I definitely think you should continue with this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This sounds so cool. :) Is this going to be a fairy-tale switchup?

Posted 12 Years Ago


Please continue this; I love when people switch this sort of stuff around. Make it the wrong side-up so to speak. There was just one error I spotted" misunderstood" not "misunderstanding".

I look forward to a possible continuation Allen..
-hintttttt-

YT,

Summer

*100*

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

716 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 6, 2012
Last Updated on March 6, 2012


Author

A. L. Allen
A. L. Allen

Logan , UT



About
Welcome! I have had a lifetime passion for writing. I started when my father introduced me to the wonders of Microsoft Word on a dinosaur of a computer, and haven't stopped since. I have attempted .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. L. Allen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Soldier The Soldier

A Poem by Ami N.